PDA

View Full Version : So ummm the double stick tape

Keith Christopher
01-01-2005, 5:14 PM
I love so much let me down and my MDF template slid so I was left with this as I was flush trimming a curve. Anyone have any suggestions for repair without starting over ?

Randy Meijer
01-01-2005, 5:27 PM
I think it would help a lot if we could see a picture of the entire piece and let us know what is the thickness of the stock. What is the finished item to be??

Keith Christopher
01-01-2005, 6:45 PM
I think it would help a lot if we could see a picture of the entire piece and let us know what is the thickness of the stock. What is the finished item to be??
Ok here is a pic it is a circular mirror frame.

Keith

Jim Dunn
01-01-2005, 7:50 PM
Keith,
In my humble opinion I would make lemonade from that lemon. I would duplicate that "check mark" in at least 2 other places or even 3 to balance it out. The piece looks good with it in there why remove it?

Now we and you know that it is a mistake, but who else "other than the entire {world wide web}" would know :)

Jim

Mark Singer
01-01-2005, 7:55 PM
reduce the radius and re cut to the smaller size... A router and trammel is the bast way...small bites and many passes.

Christopher Pine
01-01-2005, 8:10 PM
Is this the mirror I seen on woodworks? Looks good too!
It just fugures this happened inbetween the joints as If I r4emember right he had some accents pices at the joints?
Would is look funny if you had the accent pieces starting at the point of this mistake err opportunity?

Chris

Allen Grimes
01-01-2005, 8:23 PM
leave it like it is, just smooth out the curve so it looks like you meant to do it that way.

Jim Becker
01-01-2005, 8:26 PM
About the only thing that comes to mind immediatly is to flatten that section and make it the "bottom" of the project...like it was meant to be that way.

Ted Shrader
01-01-2005, 8:31 PM
Keith -

Can you cut the "defective" quarter circle out and replace it? How were the segments joined - biscuits, dowels, ½ lap joints?

Regards,
Ted

Keith Christopher
01-01-2005, 8:35 PM
Is this the mirror I seen on woodworks? Looks good too!
It just fugures this happened inbetween the joints as If I r4emember right he had some accents pices at the joints?
Would is look funny if you had the accent pieces starting at the point of this mistake err opportunity?

Chris
Chris,

Yes it is ! I always loved that mirror and I had some 5/4 cherry lying around so I figured why not. Well stupid template moved as flush trimming and well the rest is history. I am thinking either making it a smaller radius or fitting in some "inlays" matching each. sort of a "dovetail" if you will. I think it would look funny because as it slipped I have sort of an "off ramp" into the deepest part. So I'm not sure what to do as of yet.

Keith

Is it me or am I the only on posting when I screw up ? Hmmm maybe I need more study time.

Keith Christopher
01-01-2005, 8:36 PM
Keith -

Can you cut the "defective" quarter circle out and replace it? How were the segments joined - biscuits, dowels, ½ lap joints?

Regards,
Ted

I could I guess, they arr spline joints.

Keith

Mike Tempel
01-01-2005, 8:45 PM
You could make it a "double decker" with another circle made to fit over this one. Kinda like a picture frame that is stacked with architectural molding. That is if you want to make another one!!

Best of luck, let us know how it turns out.

mike lucas
01-01-2005, 9:38 PM
You can fix that with a template guide. Use it like an inlay kit. Only you have the pattern cut already. Now just make the part that fits into place. You can find a piece that has very similar grain, and this will be hidden very good.

Or you could always start over! Ah, NO!:eek: not start over.

Jerry Olexa
01-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Keith I had a similar thing happen on a recent curved project. I scouted around for advice as it was in a visible spot and the opinion most given was to get a piece of same material and grain running same direction and make a oversized wedge that would basically fit into the damaged area. then sand until all edges are flush and it should blend in. A filler will stand out. I also love dbl sided tape w templates but for insurance I often sneak in a screw on an area that won't show on opposite ends. No easy solution but w patience and lots of sanding it can work.

Norman Hitt
01-01-2005, 10:36 PM
I vote for smoothing it out, then laying it over the template and cutting it, then go to the opposite side and reverse the template and make a cut on the frame to be a mirror image and hang the frame with these on the top quareter of each side.

I think for you to reduce the radius and recut, would make too narrow a frame for that size mirror.

(See how Little I know about Design???)

Mike K
01-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Might look nice/cool/orginal if you cut out the area that was mal-formed and make a keystone to fit in the area. It could fit nicely with some pocket screws. It would kind of limit the arrangement of the mirror once it is on the wall since the keystone would be at the top.
Could even make a keystone to cover the mal-formed area and not remove any material.

Just a thought

Byron Trantham
01-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Keith,
I hate to count the number of times I have had to fight double stick tape! :mad: I bought a 24 ga piner about seven months ago and now I use it to hold the template. Tiny, tiny hole and easier to remove. :D

Michael Cody
01-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Iffin' it were me, I'd do one of two things, either snip out that 1/4 section & replace it.. shouldn't be too hard, or as one said -- make lemonade. I would flatten it, glue in a piece of some contrast and make an opposite one too or maybe all 4 sections .. make it look like you meant it to be there.. Ebony or Walnut come to mind, maybe Wenge or Blackwood.

You could flatten it and put a finial and make that the top or bottom, if it's a hall mirror, make it a bottom and attach a shelf, any should work ok.

Scott Banbury
01-02-2005, 2:03 PM
Keith,

I 'd seriously consider ripping off the damaged area with the grain, jointing it, gluing on a new piece that matches well and re routing the outside diameter.

Steve Jenkins
01-02-2005, 2:22 PM
I'd go with Scott. rip off the damaged area creating a flat edge to your circle and glue on another piece so you can recut that portion of the arc. The grain looks fairly straight and I bet you have some of the same of the board left after cutting out that segment so you should get a great grain match.

mike lucas
01-02-2005, 8:39 PM
If you are looking for some two sided tape that will not let go, get you some good ol` carpet tape. I have nearly a full roll that I have left over from carpeting a room. I decided to try it on a project, and nearly had to sand all of it off once I pryed the two pieces apart. This stuff sticks much too good for using it for template cutting. But you will never have another pattern slip on you.

The tape I have, has some type of nylon like string in it, as well as a brownish colored paper. :eek:

Keith Christopher
01-02-2005, 10:01 PM
I am using carpet tape. :( I've not had a failure like this before, I think next time I'm going to pin my template along with the DStape.

I'm going to try and inlay a matching piece to this to fix it. Thank you all for your suggestions. I will post some shots once I butcher it up some more. :eek:

Mark Singer
01-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Keith,

I always try to use a few screws and place them carefully or patch the holes...no slips that way