PDA

View Full Version : getting glue off of clamps

michael craigdallie
12-04-2010, 5:48 PM
i have bessey k kody clamps and the glue is titebond 3. so aside from wiping off the clamps when the glue is still wet is there any good tricks to getting off dried titebond 3? (it gets in the little grooves on the bar and affects the sliding action of the head.)

thanks all,
michael

Craig Michael
12-04-2010, 8:06 PM
burn it off some with a propane torch to get it soft then use a wire brush to clean if off completely. Don't go crazy with the torch, just do what is necessary.

Peter Quinn
12-04-2010, 8:18 PM
Smash um!

I usually just run the clamp head fore and aft hard untill it breaks off the glue bits. I also think about how to glue up to minimize glue on the k bodys, as they are no fun to clean, and try to exercise restraint with my glue bottle to minimize squeeze out in general.

Don Alexander
12-04-2010, 11:09 PM
i have always found the easiest way to get glue off my clamps is to keep it off them in the first place :eek:

wax paper between the clamps and the glueup is quite useful there are other methods as well i am sure

failing the preferred situtation of no glue to clean off , its easier to clean off glue before it cures than it is afterwards

Jim McFarland
12-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Soaking in white vinegar will soften the TB-3 so you can remove but it does discolor the metal bar in my experience.

Chip Lindley
12-05-2010, 12:39 AM
+1 on Keeping glue away from clamps in the first place. I use Pony 3/4" pipe clamps since they are bought and paid for. Wax paper has served me well to keep wood glue and iron pipe from leaving black stains on oak. Now that wax paper is harder to find, some clear 6 mil poly sheet between the bars and the wood works for me.

Jon Grider
12-05-2010, 9:26 AM
i have always found the easiest way to get glue off my clamps is to keep it off them in the first place :eek:

wax paper between the clamps and the glueup is quite useful there are other methods as well i am sure

failing the preferred situtation of no glue to clean off , its easier to clean off glue before it cures than it is afterwards

Good advice...I keep a roll of painters tape handy when doing glue ups and tape the areas of the bar where squeeze out may occur. Remember to pull the tape off after you remove the clamps or it may come off in small pieces when left on for a few days.

Charles Lent
12-05-2010, 9:43 AM
I wax the shafts of my clamps with Johnson's Paste Wax , and using a small brush, I scrub it into the threads of the Bessey clamps. It doesn't keep the glue off, but it makes it easy to get the it off after it's dry.

Charley

Gary Herrmann
12-05-2010, 11:58 AM
A dental pick will get the glue out of the grooves. But it is better to prevent the situation in the first place.

Mark Woodmark
12-05-2010, 12:11 PM
I found the best way to keep glue off the clamps is to not use glue at all. I use double sided masking tape, but Im having problems with the joints coming apart. Cleaning the joints prior to taping with naptha makes this problem worse. So then I went to not using the clamps at all which leaves the clamps clean, but the glue joint is only slightly stronger than the tape. So now I am looking for a snap together hardwood source. Any suggestions?

HA!!!!!!

Michael Drew
12-05-2010, 1:01 PM
Now that was funny! :D

Josh Hulbert
01-04-2014, 12:31 PM
I found a product called De-Glue Goo - works great! I did a little video on it here http://modernclassicscustom.com/2014/01/03/parallel-clamps-a-sticky-situation/

Tony Joyce
01-04-2014, 1:24 PM
A little different approach than most, but I use a TFE Dry Coating Lubricant and Release Agent. Specifically Sprayway SP295. I only have to renew it periodically. I also use it on anything that comes in contact with glue that I don't want glue stuck to. It does not affect finishes. Only down side seems to be the white film it leaves. Dri-Cote or Top-Cote will work as well , but is more expensive.

Tony

Jerry Miner
01-04-2014, 2:33 PM
I found the best way to keep glue off the clamps is to not use glue at all. I use double sided masking tape, but Im having problems with the joints coming apart. Cleaning the joints prior to taping with naptha makes this problem worse. So then I went to not using the clamps at all which leaves the clamps clean, but the glue joint is only slightly stronger than the tape. So now I am looking for a snap together hardwood source. Any suggestions?

There is this guy, who builds furniture held togther with magnets:

http://http://www.benjaminvermeulen.com.

Edward Oleen
01-09-2014, 1:32 AM
If you've got a Dremel Moto-tool, chuck up a brass wire wheel and go to town. It'll get in to the crannies and crevices and won't tear up the bar or the screw threads the way a steel brush might.

Chris Fournier
01-09-2014, 10:47 AM
I use a paint scraper to get the glue off the sides of the Besseys and the screw/racking action takes care of any on the edges. Every year(ish) or so I give Besseys a waxing.

Clamps are used for gluing among other things, they will get glue on them, they are tools, they are not investments that appreciate in value. Take care of them as needed so that they operate properly for you when you need them. There are plenty of other tool/equipment maintenance jobs in a woodworking shop!

Howard Acheson
01-09-2014, 11:29 AM
>>>> A dental pick will get the glue out of the grooves.

I suppose that will work but it sounds like it would be very slow. I have used a wire brush wheel on my gringer. Does pretty well.

Yonak Hawkins
01-09-2014, 11:35 AM

Good advice...I keep a roll of painters tape handy when doing glue ups and tape the areas of the bar where squeeze out may occur. Remember to pull the tape off after you remove the clamps or it may come off in small pieces when left on for a few days.

Gee, that sounds like a lot of bother to me. Whenever I tried the wax paper method, it always seems to get out of place before I was done, sometimes even getting in between the laminations somehow. ..And with the tape, how far do you tape ? When you tighten the clamps it will get under the head and tail stops or bunch up.

I just scrape the clamps off with a putty knife at the end of the job before I put the clamps up. ..Seems to work OK for me but I realize there are lots of kinds of clamps.

Ellen Benkin
01-09-2014, 11:39 AM
I can't believe he applied a new product on the bar directly over his workbench and didn't cover it (the workbench) with something (even newspaper!) before he scraped it off. Brave guy! My solution is to cover the bar of the clamp with clear packing tape so I don't get glue on it to start with.

Myk Rian
01-09-2014, 11:51 AM
So now I am looking for a snap together hardwood source. Any suggestions?
Tinker toys.

glenn bradley
01-09-2014, 12:47 PM
I lay paper, plastic or 'whatever' on the surface I am clamping on and use painter's tape where the glue may ooze. It is easy to see where these spot may be when you do your dry run prior to glue-up ;-) When I miss, I use a pick or awl to flick the glue out of the grooves. If I do get glue on the bars and don't notice for a few days, heat, vinegar, Glue-gone or whatever will soften it for removal.

Mike Henderson
01-09-2014, 12:54 PM
I use Bessey clamps. The glue is just not that much of a problem for me. If I get too much on the bar, I can always just ram the clamp head down the bar and it knocks it off. If I want to take it off some other way, an old chisel works well.

Never had a problem with the clamp not grabbing the bar properly.

Mike

Josh Hulbert
01-09-2014, 1:44 PM
Gee, that sounds like a lot of bother to me. Whenever I tried the wax paper method, it always seems to get out of place before I was done, sometimes even getting in between the laminations somehow. ..And with the tape, how far do you tape ? When you tighten the clamps it will get under the head and tail stops or bunch up.

I just scrape the clamps off with a putty knife at the end of the job before I put the clamps up. ..Seems to work OK for me but I realize there are lots of kinds of clamps.

I've had similar experiences trying to cover the bars, and it doesn't seem to take much extra tape to bunch up when the clamp is tightened.

Joe Mioux
01-09-2014, 6:42 PM
I just move the head back and forth a couple times and that generally takes care of the problem areas. I have also tried wax paper, but the paper keeps moving around during clamping.

Judicious use of glue also helps.