PDA

View Full Version : A couple of boxes...

Michael Stafford
01-01-2005, 5:05 PM
This time of year it is usually very cold in my shop and since I have low tolerance for cold I spend more time dreaming of woodworking than doing woodworking. That said, the last few days have afforded me some time in the shop and this is what I have done with it. Some end grain boxes... :)

The first is made from obstinate ash that kept chipping out along the grain rather than on the end grain. I had to cut a few grooves and burn them to conceal my mistakes... :o It is a little more than 2 3/4" in diameter and 2 1/2" tall.

The second is made from rather nondescript maple that was fun to turn because it cut very cleanly. So cleanly in fact that the top only needed a swipe or two from 320 and 400 grit sandpaper. It is 2 1/2" in diameter and 3" tall.

Thanks for looking and all comments appreciated... ;)

Dick Parr
01-01-2005, 6:50 PM
They still look very nice Mike. :D

Jim Ketron
01-01-2005, 7:07 PM
The Box master!!
Mike ole buddy you do some fine work!
hope it stays warm so we can see more of your work!
Jim

John Miliunas
01-01-2005, 7:40 PM
As usual, very nice job, Mike! BUT, you didn't have to tell us about the "mistakes", as I would've never guessed! :) :cool:

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-01-2005, 9:47 PM
Very nice, Mike.

Those aren't mistakes. They a design modifications.

Bruce

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
01-01-2005, 10:16 PM
They really make nice gifts. There is something that requires one to pick up and open a box. You make attractive designs.

Jean Holland
01-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Mistakes? What mistakes? I never make a mistake....I call them design opportunities.

Looks beautiful to me, Mike.

Jean

Ted Shrader
01-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Mike -

Nice job - as usual. What chipout? I don't see no stinking chipout. Adapt and overcome!

Regards,
Ted