PDA

View Full Version : Getting a heavy package in the mail

Ryan Wight
12-04-2010, 3:39 PM
Hello Everyone, I'm a new account holder to this site and relatively new to woodworking. I'll be ordering a new table saw this weekend, upgrading from a royobi to the grizzly G0715P. I've never received a 400lb package in the mail before and I'm interested to hear about anyone's experience/tips with the delivery and setup process.

I called griz customer service and asked how they go about getting it to my door, the lady told me I'm responsible for getting it off the truck and into my house/garage. Really? I asked how most of their customers go about doing that for home deliveries. She said they usually have a fork lift or palate loader. Seriously...most people have a palate loader or fork lift? Yep. She did tell me that I could get a bunch of guys together to help me out. But for me, trying to get a bunch of guys together at any given moment, without warning, when the delivery truck arrives would be like trying to herd cats.

Anyways, thanks for your feedback. Oh, anyone here keep a fork lift in their garage? Just curious. I guess I've been extremely naive about what my neighbors are hiding.

Van Huskey
12-04-2010, 3:45 PM
Call them back and add residential liftgate delivery!

It will cost you about $40-50 from Grizzly and the truck driver will set it on the ground for you. Depending on the driver he may wheel it into the garage for you on a pallet jack or not. I have always had good luck with freight company drivers and they always have put machines exactly where I wanted them however some people have had grumpy drivers that just sat it on the ground (all they are really required to do). From posts it seems like getting it into the garage for you is the norm. Dunno what was up with the lady you spoke to, this should be second nature to offer liftgate service especially when queried, but they probably deal 10 to 1 with businesses who do indeed have forklifts on hand as well as loading docks where they just zip in and pick up the machine and whisk it away to where it is needed.

David Woodruff
12-04-2010, 3:52 PM
Call the freight company and tell them you need a truck with a lift gate and fork truck to deliver to your house, basement, garage. They will usually do it except for my 4,450 lb. metal lathe. Had to schedule a machinery mover for $850.00 to do it. Hope I never move.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-04-2010, 3:57 PM
Ryan,

If you check WoodCraft, Southern-Tool or yes Grizzly you will find that "curb side residential delivery" is common and all the sites state that the trucker's only responsibility is to get it to the back of the truck.

If you pay additional fees for "lift gate service" he will show up with a truck with a lift gate and get it to the ground.

It still the receivers responsibility to get it to the shop.

Grizzly's policy is a common practice for the retail woodworking industry and it is noted at checkout at the website and on the FAQ page at all of those companies' websites.

Van Huskey
12-04-2010, 4:00 PM
Call the freight company and tell them you need a truck with a lift gate and fork truck to deliver to your house, basement, garage. They will usually do it except for my 4,450 lb. metal lathe. Had to schedule a machinery mover for $850.00 to do it. Hope I never move.

This will work as well BUT the freight company will probably charge the more customary 100-125 bucks for the service, Grizzly has negotiated very low freight rates that extend to liftgate delivery. The TS he ordered ships for $94, probably about a third of the normal unnegotiated rate, Grizzly's lift gate service is dirt cheap compared to the customary charges.

greg a bender
12-04-2010, 4:27 PM
Agreed, you do have to specify residential & lift gate service.
My Grizzly 17" band saw was delivered by UPS Freight. Backed up into the driveway, lowered lift gate and wheeled the unit into my gararge/shop-no problem. My UniSaw delivery, however, was a bit more 'dramatic'.

GB

Steven Hsieh
12-04-2010, 4:45 PM
My G0555P bandsaw was delivered in Fedex Freight, I have life gate on it, The driver rolled it into my garage with no problem. If you have pallet truck he'll lower the platform and you can roll into your shop.

John Coloccia
12-04-2010, 4:48 PM
FWIW, I always get liftgate service. I've had a lot of things delivered like that, and although they have no responsibility once it's off the truck, every one has always wheeled it right into my shop without even being asked for additional help. They just did it. When I ordered my Grizz bandsaw, I couldn't be home to meet him. I told my wife to just see if he'd get it down in front of the shop's door. He did that, then somehow got the palette on a dolly and wheeled it right into my shop.

I always tip them well. They don't have to do it so I'm appreciative. I usually give them $30 or $40 depending what I happen to have for bills in my pocket. There's a big hill going down to my shop so I wouldn't blame anyone for just dropping it off in the driveway. I didn't happen to have any cash when the guy came to pick up my jointer so instead I gave him his choice of any of the new pen's I turned that I had on hand. Of course, I towed it up to the top of my hill with my ATV the night before, so that was hardly any work at all :)

The only guy that ever gave me any trouble was an order of speakers we got one time. The dope who ordered them gave his business address....which was his house...on a tiny little side street in New Hampshire. He didn't want to pay extra for residential delivery. The guy showed up in an 18 wheeler. I don't even know how he got up that street, never mind how he got back out. He took the speakers to the back of the truck and said we're on our own. Personally, I wouldn't have made the delivery.

glenn bradley
12-04-2010, 4:54 PM
Lift gate service from FedEx Freight (all my large stuff has been last-mile'd by them) about $25. Every driver has gladly helped me get the machine into the shop and refused any sort of a tip for their efforts.

Ed Hazel
12-04-2010, 4:59 PM
With "Lift gate Service" The driver has always wheeled it into my garage. This may vary by your delivery company.

You can also pick it up at the depot they will help load it.
You can also rent a pallet jack if the drop it at the end of your drive.

Dave Verstraete
12-04-2010, 6:23 PM
I 'd have my appliance dolly ready to move it into the garage. It really isn't that heavy. You and a buddy could wheel it into the garage (Warning...This could cost you a 6 pack:cool:).

William Burgess
12-04-2010, 6:32 PM
I just ordered one of those table saws from grizzly. I paid for the elevator service and the guy rolled it into my garage. If they won't do that, just get a hand dolly and you should be fine, you can slide it onto the dolly and roll it into your garage.

David Helm
12-04-2010, 6:35 PM
I'm in a little different situation than most. Since I live in the same town as Grizzly I got to hire my own trucker. He does a lot of Grizz deliveries. It was cheap and, not only did he get the TS (G1023RLX) into my shop, he helped unpack it and took away the packing materials. Incidentally, he would not accept a tip!

Praki Prakash
12-04-2010, 7:18 PM
Based on many reviews here and other places, I wanted to get a Grizzly table saw, jointer, planer, dust collector and band saw. For me, the shipping cost is considerable and having to add residential delivery made it the deal breaker. I don't have a fork lift and can't afford to hire four helpers for half a day waiting for the truck to show up. So, I have ended up buying all of my woodworking tools from Amazon which offers "white glove delivery" (I believe that is what it is called). They have always delivered it into my garage and placed it where I wanted it. They never expected any tips but seemed happy when I gave them a small tip. I am sure Grizzly is doing well enough despite their shipping policy that they don't feel the need to change anything. Had it been anything like Amazon, my shop would be filled with Grizzlies!

Van Huskey
12-04-2010, 7:34 PM
Based on many reviews here and other places, I wanted to get a Grizzly table saw, jointer, planer, dust collector and band saw. For me, the shipping cost is considerable and having to add residential delivery made it the deal breaker. I don't have a fork lift and can't afford to hire four helpers for half a day waiting for the truck to show up. So, I have ended up buying all of my woodworking tools from Amazon which offers "white glove delivery" (I believe that is what it is called). They have always delivered it into my garage and placed it where I wanted it. They never expected any tips but seemed happy when I gave them a small tip. I am sure Grizzly is doing well enough despite their shipping policy that they don't feel the need to change anything. Had it been anything like Amazon, my shop would be filled with Grizzlies!

I think if you had inquired you would realize that Grizzly offers liftgate delivery which in the vast majority of cases gets them into your garage. Pretty much par for all the major machine companies, not sure what Amazon adds to the delivery except maybe they 100% move them in the garage/shop.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-04-2010, 7:48 PM
I just checked Grizzly, Laguna, WoodCraft, Northern Tool, Southern-Tool, and WoodWorkers Supply.

All of them except WoodWorkers Supply have the same policy. Normal delivery the trucker is responsible to get it to the rear of the truck. Lift Gate Service incurs an additional charge and the trucker will get it to the ground.

WoodWorkers Supply has a statement that talks about Motor Freight charges and then says everything under 500 lbs. will be placed on the ground. I would expect the freight charges include lift gate service fees as other companies do.

IIRC I paid for lift gate service on my MM-16 which I bought directly from Mini-Max.

In every case when I paid for Lift Gate Service, the trucker helped me put it in my shop EXCEPT 1 time....it was raining and the yard /grass leading to the door of the shop was too soft to be crossed with a loaded pallet jack. He helped me put it on the carport where it was out of the rain.

Grizzly is no different than most of the major retailers.

Amazon's policy may be the only one out there.

Come on folks....give it a rest......

Jim Rimmer
12-04-2010, 9:01 PM
I have purchased a TS and a BS from Grizzly and am too tight to pay for the lift gate. One was UPS and the otehr was SAIA. Both great drivers. I backed my pickup up to the truck, we eased it down into the pickup and then I backe up tot the garage and we eased down to the fllor. Neither driver was obligated to help but they did. Great guys.

John Coloccia
12-04-2010, 9:17 PM
Just a general FYI:

Regardless of the company, they almost universally use local companies to do the final deliveries. The quality of your delivery is rarely representative of the quality of the company's customer service, good, bad or indifferent. I don't credit any of my good experiences to the company's I bought from. It's all about the individual agent, and sometimes it's just about getting a nice driver.

Don Bullock
12-04-2010, 9:31 PM
Lift gate service from FedEx Freight (all my large stuff has been last-mile'd by them) about $25. Every driver has gladly helped me get the machine into the shop and refused any sort of a tip for their efforts.

I had the same experience when FedEx Freight delivered my Grizzly jointer. The driver lowered the crate to the ground, picked it up on a pallet jack and wheeled it up my driveway into the garage and asked me where I wanted it placed. He waited while I opened the crate to check for damage and made sure that I was fully satisfied before asking me to sign for the delivery.

From what I have read, others have not been so fortunate. As stated on Grizzly's website, liftgate service is to the curb or edge of the street. The driver does not even have to drive his truck beyond the street.

It's best to check with the freight company that Grizzly uses in your area to see what they will and won't do before you order. Otherwise be prepared to move the equipment from the curb to where you want it.

Don Alexander
12-04-2010, 10:57 PM
like most things in life you generally get treated similarly to how you treat others , obviously there are exceptions from time to time

Joe Leigh
12-05-2010, 8:53 AM
Grizzly is no different than most of the major retailers.

Amazon's policy may be the only one out there.

Come on folks....give it a rest......

Most, not all. Toolzone routinely offers FREE shipping with FREE residential lift gate service included on Jet and Powermatic purchases.

Dan Hintz
12-05-2010, 9:40 AM
The moderators run to shut down a thread when it becomes nothing more than a bash session. There's a wide difference posts expressing facts from one person's viewpoint and posts that are nothing but seething complaints of how a company is worthless (or worse, scam artists).

John Coloccia
12-05-2010, 9:47 AM
As far as I can tell, there's more Grizzly bashing on this forum than any other company, save for maybe SawStop and Jointech. However you feel about Grizzly, please don't accuse the mods of funny business like that when a simple look through the threads of just the last week will show how untrue that is.

Jim Andrew
12-05-2010, 1:45 PM
Guess I'm the guy she was talking about. I have a Case skidsteer with forks, and I just meet the truck with it, and pick it out of the back of the truck. This time I plan to wrap a strap around my new sander and the back frame of the forks, after reading the thread about the guy losing his new bandsaw off the forks.

george wilson
12-05-2010, 1:51 PM
I bought a (forgot the proper name) lifting device that will lift 2000#. It has very small wheels that will not roll with a load on them. Has a platform and a mast like a forklift. Powered by a large marine battery. It will take most anything short of a heavy lathe off a 55" tall 18 wheeler,and get it down to about 4" off my concrete apron. From there,I can manage it. I actually had to saw about 10" off the top of the mast to get it to clear my garage door.

Russell Smallwood
12-05-2010, 2:37 PM
Liftgate service + a decent tip has always got machines into the garage with a smile for me. The tip is never expected but always appreciated.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-05-2010, 3:15 PM
Uh Joe.....If you read the quote you quoted....It says "most" it doesn't say all.....

and.....ToolZone...or any other retailer who says "free shipping" ..well....you can bet the shipping and liftgate service isn't free....now you might lump it into the price of the machine and claim it's free .....or you give the customer the right to decide whether they want to pay the extra shipping fees as a "majority" of the retailors do.

In the end, the consumer is paying for the shipping.

Matt Meiser
12-05-2010, 4:13 PM
I don't know--Amazon frequently has the lowest or almost lowest price plus "free" liftgate service. If I'm paying the same as vendor ABC plus getting "free" shipping I'd consider that free.

I'm one of those guys with a "forklift" but mine is forks for my John Deere compact tractor.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-05-2010, 5:26 PM
In the end somebody has to pay the trucking companies and it's the revenue from the retail puchases that pays for it.

Joe Leigh
12-05-2010, 7:21 PM
No argument there but I agree with Matt, the shipping is "Free" because the price was not artificially increased to cover the shipping. My PM2000 on sale in June was $400 less than anywhere else on the internet then or now AND had free residential liftgate service included. I'd call that free shipping.

Obviously the vendor is not going to forgo his profit to offer free shipping. That just tells me that there is a large margin built into even the sale price.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-05-2010, 8:03 PM
It's not free......Amazon is merely paying it out of their profit. Shipping companies aren't charities and they didn't adopt Amazon or any other retailer.

I am not saying you can't get a better deal at Amazon or anyother place that advertises "free shipping". But it's just a marketing strategy but you can bet Amazon is paying for the shpping and they are using revenue that came from......you.

Dan Hintz
12-05-2010, 8:51 PM
I've always found the best deals on the less well known sites... and liftgate is usually included in that price. For example, Tools-Plus had the best deal I could find on the metal lathe I was after, and they were offering free shipping, including liftgate. I only found one other site that could match that total price package. "Free" shipping is becoming a semi popular option these days...

Van Huskey
12-05-2010, 9:43 PM
No argument there but I agree with Matt, the shipping is "Free" because the price was not artificially increased to cover the shipping. My PM2000 on sale in June was $400 less than anywhere else on the internet then or now AND had free residential liftgate service included. I'd call that free shipping.

Obviously the vendor is not going to forgo his profit to offer free shipping. That just tells me that there is a large margin built into even the sale price.

Actually, free shipping w/ liftgate is now and has been for at least a year subsidized by WMH and not the re or etailer. There are very few (r)etailers you can't get "free" liftgate delivery on WHM machines. Prices vary for WHM machines by retailer but unless they are on sale the retailer can not advertise a WHM machine at less than MAPP however, calling a group of them usually gets you a far better price often when they have "bought" a block of machines, or sometimes just adding them to the "cart" will show the real price. This happened for me when I got a Baldor motored PM2000 for about $1,000 off, that was originally built for the custom PM2066 program but were sold at a discount to a retailer when Woodwerx scrapped the program.

In the end what we are discussing here is the process of shipping not actually the costs, one just needs to be aware that if they aren't one of those with a forklift in the garage/shop/barn or has a loading dock with a pallet jack they need to specify liftgate delivery whether or not it comes for "free" or not if they want to take delivery at home and not the terminal. Further, in the case of Grizzly's lower negotiated freight and delivery charges if one doesn't specify it up front it or at least get it set up through Grizzly it may cost significantly more when dealing with the freight company directly.

Dave MacArthur
12-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Buy a shop crane for $99 from harbor freight, and just pick it up off the back of the truck and roll it into the garage. Yep, the truth is that anyone who DOESN'T pay for liftgate service either has a forklift, shop crane, pallet jack, or plain messed up.

And by the way... I was initially drawn to open the thread because I really couldn't believe anyone would give a thread that title, where I work that would earn you a chance to buy the bar. Thank gosh he spelled "mail" right, but that's just low SA ;)