PDA

View Full Version : I goofed (nothing unusual)

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
01-01-2005, 4:54 PM
I must caution all of those who I have mislead in a recent post regarding using 2” X 4”s
for glue blocks. Don’t do it or at least be very sure of the kind of material it is. I had
been using old long leaf pine 2” X 4” s and they worked fine. I ran out of these and used
another 2” X 4” which turned out to be SYP. What a difference! The wood just doesn’t
hold together. My recommendation is to forget the stupid advice to use 2” X 4”s and get
some hardwood blocks to use. Far safer and less likely to cause problems. Hope no one
has had problems because of that poor advice.

Steve Clardy
01-01-2005, 5:35 PM
I didn't catch that thread I guess. What was it?

Carole Valentine
01-01-2005, 8:08 PM
Glad you clarified that Don. I was eyeballing 2x4s today to use as glue blocks. Instead I found a box of 5x5 Ipe cut-offs that a guy sent me from a decking project. They look like they will make great glue blocks. I know the screws from the faceplate will hold well because the wood is so dense. From fiddling with it before, I think the glue will hold well too.

Jim Becker
01-01-2005, 8:37 PM
'Careful with the Ipé, Carole...many tropicals have a high oil content which is not condusive to glue without cleaning with acetone. I don't know if that applies to Ipé or not, but....better safe, etc.

I generally use 8/4 mahogany scraps for this purpose.

Carole Valentine
01-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Thanks Jim. I thought about that and cleaned it before gluing. I have not been able to separate the glue joints. I used Titebond. No mahogany scraps lying around here!

Jim Becker
01-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Carole, PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you a few pieces of the mahogany when I have the opportunity.

Glenn Hodges
01-02-2005, 1:55 PM
Thanks Don, but you posted it to late for me. That happen to me also. I now use nothing but hardwood for glue blocks.

Jake Byrd
01-02-2005, 9:11 PM
What are glue blocks:confused: I need something visual to understand the complicated things, lol. Could someone please post a pic of what you mean?

Thanks in advance,

Jim Becker
01-02-2005, 9:33 PM
What are glue blocks:confused: I need something visual to understand the complicated things, lol. Could someone please post a pic of what you mean? ,
Jake, no pic, but basically a glue block is a piece of secondary/waste wood you put on your faceplate and then glue your actual turning block to it. It serves to give you more access to the back of the workpiece and is, in fact, the most inexpensive way of "chucking" a turning. It's particularly effective for working on small things without reversing or when you have a very expensive or unique piece of material that you want to make the most of without turning a lot of it away before you finish the bottom.