PDA

View Full Version : Who is your "WOODWORKER OF THE YEAR"?

Brian Kent
12-04-2010, 2:47 PM
I always enjoy watching the lead-up to Time Magazine's "Person of the Year".

It just occurred to me that I would love to know who is your "Woodworker of the Year" for 2010.

Name your own "Woodworker of the Year" and name your own criteria, like best artist, toolmaker, turner, inspiration, beginner, whatever.

Have some fun.

Brian Kent

John Coloccia
12-04-2010, 2:55 PM
This guy...

http://www.randallrosenthal.com/

Either that or we should all get together, track him down and break his fingers because he's making us all look bad. LOL. Ridiculous talent, IMHO.

Craig Ryder
12-04-2010, 3:06 PM
This guy...

Either that or we should all get together, track him down and break his fingers because he's making us all look bad. LOL. Ridiculous talent, IMHO.

I wonder what kind of tablesaw he uses? lol

Brian Kent
12-04-2010, 3:15 PM
That is just insane talent.

Category: Best sculpture of a crossword puzzle.

Van Huskey
12-04-2010, 3:23 PM
Since we lost Krenov and Maloof last year I would have to say George Nakashima, his connection to wood in mythic and his devotion to peace in the world shows his character beyond wood.

T-Mac also deserves mention since Rough Cut may do for hand tools what Norm and NYW did for the corded tools.

Greg Scull
12-04-2010, 4:09 PM
T-Mac also deserves mention since Rough Cut may do for hand tools what Norm and NYW did for the corded tools.

That is interesting. Come to think of it I spent my childhood growing up watching NYW with my dad and learning about woodworking Norm's way.
I built my shop out in the garage with tips and tricks I remembered from watching NYW and got all power tools with no interest in hand tools.

That said, 5 episodes of Rough cut and I was inspired to try hand tools. Mostly because I can work when the kids are asleep that way. Needless to say I now have 14 hand planes and am building a proper workbench!

Salem Ganzhorn
12-04-2010, 7:36 PM
Are you kidding me? I kept clicking around wondering why boxes of dollar bills and baseball cards were interesting and how they related to WW. That is a sick amount of detail!

John Coloccia
12-04-2010, 7:41 PM
Are you kidding me? I kept clicking around wondering why boxes of dollar bills and baseball cards were interesting and how they related to WW. That is a sick amount of detail!

One thing I didn't realize at first when someone posted this in the neanderthal section...the cardboard box is carved as well. It's all just a big piece of carved wood. Yes, it is sickening.

Scott Stafford
12-04-2010, 8:17 PM
Since we lost Krenov and Maloof last year I would have to say George Nakashima, his connection to wood in mythic and his devotion to peace in the world shows his character beyond wood.

But hasn't George been gone over twenty years now? Not that his contributions were'nt legendary.

Van Huskey
12-04-2010, 10:31 PM
But hasn't George been gone over twenty years now? Not that his contributions were'nt legendary.

You are absolutely correct! That is the biggest brain lapse I have had of a fact that simple in quite some time, maybe 36 hours or so! :D The reason it came to mind to use him is I was looking at some new designs from his studio a month or so back, I blanked that he was dead (and it has been close to 20 years) I suppose these designs came from the the supervision of his daughter. Ooops. I guess it is better than calling someone dead that is still breathing!

Greg Scull
12-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Forgot to put my nomination!

I think the one woodworker who completely broke my ideas of what wood could do this year is Seth Rolland (http://www.sethrolland.com/)
Now if I could just tune up my bandsaw to have a clean cut!

mreza Salav
12-04-2010, 11:10 PM
This guy...

Amazing for sure, the amount of details is mind boggling. I have seen a few others at the same level. Once there was a half carved leather jacket on the front page of one of LeeValley's newsletters. I am not sure if woodworking is an art or not (I think it may have some art elements to it) but these carvings are art IMO. Thanks for sharing it.

C Scott McDonald
12-05-2010, 12:32 AM
I dont know about the woodworker of the year but I have always enjoyed Garret Hacks work.

Larry Fox
12-05-2010, 1:59 AM
Any of those active in this forum get my vote.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Dave MacArthur
12-05-2010, 2:09 AM
You know, I love those carvings a LOT...
But I don't think of that as "woodworking". I'd vote him "Artist in Wood Medium" in an instant, but not "woodworker".

Once the functional element of something made from wood is removed, I consider it "Art", pure and simple. It's not "woodworking", and I say that with no disparagement intended... I just don't think it's the same thing I'm about or aiming for.

That being said, I was actually thinking "Bill Wyko" when I read the thread title, and was surprised to not see folks throwing out "Jameel!" and other names from the boards here. Bill's work is the balance I think of when I think "Woodworking"--functional, beautiful, inspirational and artistic all at once. Fake newspapers made out of wood are all very nice, but a neat box to store your cigars or scotch or what not... now that's woodworking!

And when I think about a "woodworker" in more a way I can relate to, a guy puttering around in his shop fixing it up, working on this project and that, an amateur woodworker, I thought of Glenn Bradley, his efforts and posts have probably been of more interest and daily entertainment to me than the rare woodworking show I find on TV.

Norman Pyles
12-05-2010, 8:55 AM
Dave Diaman

Jim Kirkpatrick
12-05-2010, 9:26 AM
+2 Dave Diaman

Mark Woodmark
12-05-2010, 12:23 PM
I dont have any favorites, I like them all. I have nominated myself as Wood Butcher of the year......HA!

Jim Davenport
12-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Of course all these guys mentioned do marvelous work.
But Time uses criteria of how the person affects us all.
Therefore, I also nominate “Thomas McDonald of “Rough cut woodworking with Tommy MAC”.
Thomas has taken Norms work a step further. He is bringing fine wood working to the masses.
For example hand cut dovetails, using hand planes for a smooth finish instead of Norm’s ever present R O sander.
He has a unpretentious manner, and makes seemingly difficult tasks doable
Also there’s his “Bombe secretary”, and Federal style furniture.

Cody Colston
12-05-2010, 1:34 PM
Another vote for Tommy Mac. His work is impeccable and anyone who starts a new woodworking show is gonna get my vote.

I think those dead guys oughta be removed from consideration.

Chris Fournier
12-05-2010, 1:56 PM
I select me as the "Woodworker of the Year" around here as I'm the one paying the bills through woodworking. I very much doubt that I would be anyone else's choice but they aren't paying my bills either!

I truly think that the "Woodworker of the Year" is someone who we will likely never meet or even hear of, rather that person is a dusty, solitary and driven individual who is all consumed by a passion to create and $$$ nor time nor common sense is holding them back from doing the best work that they possibly can do. I will always vote for the unknown woodworker because all of the recognized names have recieved their accolades already and in many cases the people who win these types of "awards" do so because they nominate and promote themselves.

John Fabre
12-05-2010, 5:05 PM
Dave Diaman, I just seen his piece of art.

Bryan Morgan
12-05-2010, 7:12 PM
My wife. She does ok turning pens on the lathe and has started to learn to use the scroll saw. :)

Mike Zilis
12-05-2010, 10:01 PM
My criteria for Woodworker of the Year is: Who has had the greatest impact/influence on my woodworking hobby this year?

Without a doubt, it's Charles Neil. His "Mastering Woodworking" podcast subscription has elevated my skills several levels in a short time. Each "episode" is what I always wished NYW would have been like.

I don't mean to make this an advertisement for Neil. I'm just very thankful that the right educational opportunity for ME came along this year.

-Mike

Joe A Faulkner
12-05-2010, 10:11 PM
I'd have to nominate:

Brett Duffin - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=142440

Pashuan Patel - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=137059&highlight=walnut+rocker

Dave Diamen - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=153986

Keith Hankins
12-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Charles Neil. He's a great teacher and just a down to earth kind of guy.