PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Burl HELP!!

Roland Martin
12-04-2010, 2:46 PM
My brother in law brought me 3 cherry burls from his place in Milo. I just cut into the first one, the smallest and rough turned it. I've been spraying it with water as I turn to keep it from cracking. What's the best ting to do with it now? (NO, I'm not shipping it anywhere:D) Soak it in DNA, shavings, etc.???

It's about 5" x 3 1/2" now and 3/4" thick+/-, except the base, 1 1/2" +/-

John Keeton
12-04-2010, 3:26 PM
Never been there, Roland, so no help here. But....that is going to be some really purty wood!

Jim Burr
12-04-2010, 3:27 PM
Since it's already started, IMHO...DNA it in a hurry

Roland Martin
12-04-2010, 3:38 PM
Since it's already started, IMHO...DNA it in a hurry

:D So much in a hurry to see what it looked like, I didn't even think enough ahead to know what to do after:D:D Good thing I have a bucket of DNA. Thanks, Jim

David E Keller
12-04-2010, 5:40 PM
I'd try to get the walls and bottom to a consistent thickness throughout before the soak... I worry about cracking if things aren't fairly even.

Steve Schlumpf
12-04-2010, 5:54 PM
+1 on David's suggestion! You want your walls the same thickness so everything dries equally. Best of luck with this one! Cherry burls can be tricky!

Rich Aldrich
12-04-2010, 6:34 PM
I havent had this happen to me yet either. However, I have a few small cherry burls that I am going to start turning. I'll have to watch for cracking.

Marc Himes
12-04-2010, 7:25 PM
Cherry Burls can certainly crack especially if there is any of the normal wood with pith in it. I have had reasonable success with slow drying with Achorseal or wrapped in paper bags plain. I haven't gotten around to trying DNA yet, but Steve and others do well with it.

Good luck. It looks like a nice piece of wood.

Marc Himes

Rich Aldrich
12-04-2010, 10:29 PM
I use DNA and over 90% of what I have turned has been cherry (when you cut a large tree, you get a lot of turning wood). The only cracks I have had were already pre-existing. I do soak everything for 24 hours - even if it is approaching 1 1/2" thick.

I have a burl I am going to turn tomorrow that seems quite dry. I will still soak it in DNA because I have no moisture meter and have no idea of the dryness. I will let you know what happens.