PDA

View Full Version : Chestnut Chalice

John Keeton
12-04-2010, 2:32 PM
Form has become much more important to me of late, and I really like the ogee curve in all its variations. The most simple, and sometimes the most appealing to me, is simply one with opposing curves of equal length and radius.

I decided to try a goblet form, and started my sketch with two lines intersecting at the bottom of the main form. Then, drew an ogee using the mid point of each line.

I had a piece of chestnut left over from the last SW form I posted, and it still had some great figure in it. It looks very nice with Claro walnut, so I decided to try the combo.

Dimensions are as noted on the sketch.

There are two inherent problems with this piece - both related to the stock I had available. I am sure there are more, and feel free to point those out!:o

The chestnut was only 3" wide/circumference, and the Claro I have is 3" max. In order to get the flare needed to fit the plan, I needed more width - therefore, more walnut.

That made the walnut rim visually too wide. The form appears somewhat top heavy, and actually it was distracting while turning the piece. I ended up using a paper template for the curve as the difference in color played tricks when doing the ogee.

Then, the chestnut is end grain on the top of the form, and the walnut is long grain. Not a good situation for a glue joint. But, it held while turning, and it is turned pretty thin. So, we can just hope it continues to be stable.

Not much can be done (or could have been done) about either, but I know they are there. If I do another - not likely! - I will try to locate better sized stock.

Have at it - what do you think?

Mark Hubl
12-04-2010, 2:44 PM
John,

That is a really beautiful piece. It has a very elegant feel, a really classic form. I would agree with you on the top. The band is just a bit wide. The curves are wonderful. Another winner!

David DeCristoforo
12-04-2010, 2:53 PM
Love the shape. Not too keen on the walnut rim, especially at this size which is, as you point out, too dominating. I'm seeing the walnut rim at no more than a quarter of an inch or so just to accent the top. But that's all pretty much "hair splitting". Overall, it's a very nice piece of work.

Roger Chandler
12-04-2010, 2:58 PM
Nice work John. I like the contrasting woods. The figure in the chestnut is really pretty. The ogee curve is nice, and I like your sketch..........I think more of us ought to sketch out our projects.......... it would most likely improve some of the results we get.

Nice one for sure!

Roland Martin
12-04-2010, 3:05 PM
That's an extremely beautiful combination of woods, very well done form. Maybe the Claro rim would be better a bit shorter, but Claro is so nice that I'd have a hard time getting myself to minimize the size:) As usual, John, a very nice goblet!

Richard Madden
12-04-2010, 3:17 PM
Excellent job, John! I do agree that the rim is a little too thick, but hey, It's a beautiful piece and well executed. I really like the base/pedestal. Good height and the diameter of the bottom of the base looks perfect. Well done on some very nice wood.

Ken Hill
12-04-2010, 3:32 PM
It sure is puuurrrttyy!:D

The rim does appear wide, but not by much. It would have the elegance I think you were seeking if it had been more inline with your original intent.

Make more....see no problem:D

Jim Burr
12-04-2010, 3:36 PM
I agree with you that the top doesn't fit in, maybe just a 1/2-3/4 narrower would have it. Right in the middle, the curve seems to stop, a little more of a waist may help. The wood combination is great and I am really drawn to the shape of the base and the matching rim. One and a half thumbs up!:cool:

Curt Fuller
12-04-2010, 3:39 PM
Very nice John! I kind of like the wide rim myself. There's a lot of pretty wood in there, some nice curves, and the base seems to be just right.

Ken Glass
12-04-2010, 4:05 PM
John,
That is beauuuutiful! Make 7 more and I'll give you my address for my Christmas present. The shape and color combination's are very nice. Well Done.

Doug W Swanson
12-04-2010, 4:11 PM
It looks pretty darn good from here. A little less walnut on the rim might be better to some but I think it still looks great....

Dale Bright
12-04-2010, 4:58 PM
Very nicely done, John.

Paul Williams
12-04-2010, 5:17 PM
The dark rim causes an optical illusion for me. It appears not to be a continuous curve on the top ogee. I can see that it is by tracing it with my finger or the cursor, but when I look at it quickly it appears to be straight with a flare on top.

David E Keller
12-04-2010, 5:25 PM
Nicely done. I like the color combo with the two woods. I suppose the walnut rim could be a bit narrower, but I like it as is. The curves are perfect. Where did that figured chestnut come from?

Baxter Smith
12-04-2010, 5:34 PM
Beautiful wood, combo and curves! Enough said.:)

Ray Bell
12-04-2010, 5:35 PM
John, I think it looks great just as it is.

Steve Mawson
12-04-2010, 5:41 PM
Beautiful wood, from the drawing I would not think the Walnut to too wide however in the picture I agree with several others that it looks over powering. Curves are just right and gives the look of a classic piece. Still a nice piece and would look very nice on a shelf in my new office that should be done before Christmas, the office that is, just in case you wanted to start giving gifts to your Creeker friends.:)

Michael James
12-04-2010, 5:44 PM
Nice one Mr. K! Again, I think the rim gives the illusion of being "off", but I can tell it really isn't. I think it's a great piece and a grand attempt at utilizing existing resoureces. You would never know unless you constructed it. Love the constrast between 2 very beautiful woods!
Michael

Steve Schlumpf
12-04-2010, 5:47 PM
John - excellent job reproducing what you sketched! Beautiful wood combination and finish! Only suggestion would be to make another as these things always look better in sets!

Beautiful turning John! Keep up the good work!

John Keeton
12-04-2010, 7:00 PM
Thanks, guys!!
The dark rim causes an optical illusion for me. It appears not to be a continuous curve on the top ogee. I can see that it is by tracing it with my finger or the cursor, but when I look at it quickly it appears to be straight with a flare on top.Paul, it did exactly the same thing to me when I was turning it!! That is why I ended up with a paper template to check the curve. Trust me, it is nearly dead on the template - but, it sure doesn't look it at first glance.

Nicely done. I like the color combo with the two woods. I suppose the walnut rim could be a bit narrower, but I like it as is. The curves are perfect. Where did that figured chestnut come from?David, the chestnut came from Mike Smith in NC. After doing the SW form, I emailed him and bought 5 more blanks - they were in the pile of wood with the Claro. Not all of them appear to have figure, but the color and texture of this wood is fantastic. It and the Claro are a dream to turn.

Beautiful wood, from the drawing I would not think the Walnut to too wide however in the picture I agree with several others that it looks over powering. Curves are just right and gives the look of a classic piece. Still a nice piece and would look very nice on a shelf in my new office that should be done before Christmas, the office that is, just in case you wanted to start giving gifts to your Creeker friends.:)Steve, Ms. Keeton has claimed this one - at least for the moment.;)

John - excellent job reproducing what you sketched! Beautiful wood combination and finish! Only suggestion would be to make another as these things always look better in sets!

Beautiful turning John! Keep up the good work!Steve, replication is not my strong suit! I had significant difficulty turning four table legs! Monotony sets in pretty quickly for me.

gary Zimmel
12-04-2010, 7:11 PM
Another great piece John. From inception to completion....

Marc Himes
12-04-2010, 7:16 PM
Very nice work John. Was the base turned separately and then glued on or was the walnut glued on the both ends of the chestnut and then turned?

Marc Himes

Gary Max
12-04-2010, 7:16 PM
Now you went and done it John--- now I have to turn a Chalice.

John Keeton
12-04-2010, 7:43 PM
Thanks, Gary!
Very nice work John. Was the base turned separately and then glued on or was the walnut glued on the both ends of the chestnut and then turned?

Marc HimesMarc, the chestnut was faced off to get a perpendicular and flat glue surface. Then I glued on the walnut "disk" for the rim with Titebond using the tailstock for clamping pressure. It was turned down to size except for the very bottom area, which was left heavy until it was hollowed. Ultimately, a 1/4" tenon was turned on the bottom - cut short.
The base was turned separately, coved out on the top and a shallow 1/4" hole drilled to accept the tenon for alignment. 5 minute epoxy to glue it in.
Hope that helps.

Now you went and done it John--- now I have to turn a Chalice.Gary, you know us KY boys actually call them MUGS!! Chalice sounds more expensive though!:cool:

Marc Himes
12-04-2010, 7:49 PM
Great pictures John; well documented and very helpful. Thanks.

Marc Himes

alex carey
12-04-2010, 8:55 PM
problems or not its still a beautiful piece.

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2010, 9:06 PM
John that is simply beautiful. I like wood combo and the form.

Scott Hackler
12-05-2010, 12:18 AM
John this one is very nice. I like the contrast betwen the two woods.. The figure in both really compliment each other, as much as the color difference. I will have to agree with David that I would have prefered a 1/4 or so for the top rim. Now it looks very top heavy and overpowering.

Don Alexander
12-05-2010, 1:27 AM
i'm thinking that the walnut would be less overpowering if you had split it say 60/40 and put the 60 on the bottom and the 40 on the top

having said that i like it fine as is and i really like that chestnut

Gary Max
12-05-2010, 3:22 AM
It's 3;15 am Sunday morning and I am heading to the shop. Need to get started on my" Keeton Chalice Challenge Entry"------everyone who completes a Chalice is a winner.

John Keeton
12-05-2010, 6:13 AM
It's 3;15 am Sunday morning and I am heading to the shop. Need to get started on my" Keeton Chalice Challenge Entry"------everyone who completes a Chalice is a winner.3:15AM!!!:eek::eek: Gary, you are a sick man!!!:D But, have at it!! I look forward to seeing your "Chalice!"

Jeff Nicol
12-05-2010, 6:24 AM
John, One other way you could have made the walnut portion shorter and to add some "POP" to the whole thing would have either put a lighter, or colored or black strip inbetween the darker woods. The same could have been done at the base where the meet also for balance, and speaking of balance I still believe that base should be a bit larger if truly meant for use or to mimic an old style chalice made of silver/pewter.

So that being said you have turning skills well beyond your years as a turner and we are always privilaged to see your new pieces here on SMC. Great woods turned into something other than ashes in a wood stove.

Thanks for sharing,

Jeff

Cathy Schaewe
12-05-2010, 9:55 AM
Ditto what pretty much everybody said. It's a beautiful piece, as usual!

Ron Bontz
12-05-2010, 10:06 AM
As always. Beautiful work John.:)

David Reed
12-05-2010, 10:10 AM
It is a very lovely and well thought out elegant form and I very much like the combination of wood choices. I am also on the same page as others re the rim - 1/8-1/4" width would look stunning. I have also compromised design while trying to maximize a project with limited materials.
I am not certain if the pedestal is a little short or if it is all the wide rim that unbalances the piece in my eyes. Again, the goblet form is perfect and a set of one or eight would be hard to beat.
A chalice challenge? According to my Vietnamese son, everything is a competition so why not.