PDA

View Full Version : Arbor Press

Jack Clay
12-04-2010, 1:25 PM
Hi,
I have a pen press I need to replace. I am really interested in the 1 ton arbor press from Enco. I was wondering if anybody uses this press or one like it and if you could post pictures of your setup. I would also like to know how it has been working.

Paul Douglass
12-04-2010, 5:25 PM
well here is my setup. I made a stand for it to raise it on the counter top so it would be easier to see what I was doing when pressing pen parts together. I have made some different wood pieces as needed to hold tips and stuff. I also stuck a little piece of felt to the bottom of the ram so it wouldn't mark pen pieces. It works great. A vice mounted on a bench also works great as a pen press and probably has more additional uses (just something to ponder). The arbor press is a great pen press.

One thing I would like on my arbor press is a wheel type crank to operate the ram instead of the handle that came with it but I don't use it enough to justify making or buying one.

James Combs
12-04-2010, 8:17 PM
Jack, like Paul I have a similar setup i.e. I use an arbor press. When I purchased it I thought the hand wheel would be handy, however, I don't think I have ever used it since I got it last year.:o Other then never using the hand wheel it works great for my pens.

Jeff Fagen
12-05-2010, 12:54 AM
I have an arbor press in the garage but I haven't found room in my basement wood shop for it .I press pens with a bolt chucked in my drill press.

James Combs
12-05-2010, 4:08 PM
I have an arbor press in the garage but I haven't found room in my basement wood shop for it .I press pens with a bolt chucked in my drill press.

That was my method prior to the arbor press. I got tired of changing drill bits and press pad. I use a UHMW dowel verses your bolt. I later turned the dowel down a little so it fit the bottom of the arbor.

Jack Clay
12-05-2010, 6:00 PM
Thank You for taking time to put up the pictures. I am thinking I will mount it on a shelf on the wall to get up were you do not have to bend over. Have you tried a pencil kit? I was wandering if it would fit in it to be pressed.

James Combs
12-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Thank You for taking time to put up the pictures. I am thinking I will mount it on a shelf on the wall to get up were you do not have to bend over. Have you tried a pencil kit? I was wandering if it would fit in it to be pressed.

Sorry I can't help there, I have only made one pencil but I don't remember whether it was before or after my implementation of the arbor press.