PDA

View Full Version : Hickory...Dickory....

Ken Hill
12-04-2010, 1:14 PM
Hickory
5.5x3.5x1/4
One wipe of Antique Oil

Comments more then welcome, just remember i'm still probably to new to absorb what your saying right now haha!

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Bowls-and-Wood-Turning/CMR4687/1114208224_PFhZT-L.jpg

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Bowls-and-Wood-Turning/CMR4688/1114208269_CJeeG-L.jpg

Gary Max
12-04-2010, 1:17 PM
Works for me-----keep them coming.

Ken Hill
12-04-2010, 1:33 PM
Works for me-----keep them coming.

OK LOL!

White Oak
6x2x5/16
2 Coats AO

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Bowls-and-Wood-Turning/CMR3175/1114225970_HS5ML-L.jpg

John Keeton
12-04-2010, 3:18 PM
Ken, you don't have to turn all of the wood you guys harvested in one day!!!!:eek: Slow down, you're killin' me!

Nice work, and I really like the look of the hickory!

Ken Hill
12-04-2010, 3:25 PM
Thanks John. I have one more that I just oiled and that will be it for the day...my back is saying enough! I am feeling better though!

The sanding pads from Vince arrived, they work very well. My inboard and outboard scrapers came as well and between them it is making returning the bowls fairly easy and sanding a snap.

I know the forms are very basic but thats me haha! I am starting to see what I would like to do now that I have finished a few and will start incorperating things into future bowls, but for now I will be satisfied with what I am getting done:D

Ken Hill
12-04-2010, 3:46 PM
Boy, that WO soaks up the oil!

6.5 x 3.5 x 5/16
One coat of AO, but more will follow

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Bowls-and-Wood-Turning/CMR3180/1114346985_J7piF-L.jpg

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Bowls-and-Wood-Turning/CMR3185/1114347066_AVzu9-L.jpg

David E Keller
12-04-2010, 5:38 PM
Nice work, Ken. There's nothing wrong with 'simple' forms... Often I prefer simple to complicated.

Duff Bement
12-04-2010, 6:47 PM
They all look great.
Ain't it fun!

Steve Vaughan
12-04-2010, 7:19 PM
I really, really love the hickory. So much character. You've done very well...with the oak one too.

Michael James
12-04-2010, 7:29 PM
Ken, those look very nice. Bowls come in all sorts of shapes. My wife has a little crystal candy dish that's almost a closed form that keep beggin me to emulate. Glad you to see you up and moving, and hope you don't overdo it!
Remember, it's your wood, your time and supplies. Turn whatever your heart desires. I do think that the more things you just try, the quicker you will learn.
mj

Ken Hill
12-04-2010, 7:33 PM
Thanks guys...im still sore as heck and still having spasms here and there. I was able to help my son get his deer out of the woods tonight! I am packingf or Bear camp now, it may kill me but im going! Fresh snow is down, more coming, dogs are fit and ready to run!

My son also was able to film his hunt, pretty cool evening all in all!

Mark Hubl
12-04-2010, 8:15 PM
Ken,

Those look really good. Hope the back is healing up. Man, once it does none of us are going to be able to keep up with you!

Have a good hunt.

brian watts
12-04-2010, 8:23 PM
Thanks guys...im still sore as heck and still having spasms here and there. I was able to help my son get his deer out of the woods tonight! I am packingf or Bear camp now, it may kill me but im going! Fresh snow is down, more coming, dogs are fit and ready to run!

My son also was able to film his hunt, pretty cool evening all in all!

would like to see the hunt..pm if you can send it..thanks brian

Ken Hill
12-04-2010, 8:31 PM
Sent! He did pretty good, he usually just Bow hunts!

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2010, 9:09 PM
Ken those are some good looking bowls. You had better get your back in order and rest it some.

Baxter Smith
12-04-2010, 9:20 PM
Nice looking bowls Ken. Hope the bears wish you stayed home to turn!

brian watts
12-05-2010, 12:23 AM
KEN..... thanks tell him way to go

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-05-2010, 1:18 AM
Ken,
If this is you in sore back mode, the volume of production we can expect when you are 100 percent will be staggering. I really like all the shapes you are making. The hickory made a dramatic bowl but I really like the white oak. I am anxious to try some. Enjoy the bear hunt.
faust

Ken Hill
12-05-2010, 5:03 AM
I wont be turning as much when my back is better...I will be tackiling the logged property. But with 3 months left until I get back to work...who knows! I still need to pump out more game calls for sales along with building up a stock of Turkey calls before spring, but I have been fortunate enough to sell the majority of bowls I have made so I will keep them rolling as best as possible. Anything to keep busy, its the only way the lights stay on here!

Mike Cruz
12-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Ken, you are making me so jealous with all your turnings! I've got boatloads of blanks and my lathe all apart...waiting for parts. I wanna turn so bad! But I do get to live through your turnings...seeing what you are making of the sister pieces I have waiting for me. Keep the pics coming.

Ken Hill
12-06-2010, 5:34 AM
When will yours be up and running Mike?

The good Lord did not want me Bear hunting it seems, the weather is so fowl (heavy snow, high wind and extreme cold on our mountain) have forced me to hold off heading down. A few Bears they tracked on foot yesterday had denned up so we imagine the first week is going to be a bust. Not mad, things happen for a reason and I wil just turn some more wood and get ready for the late Duck and Goose season to arrive here on the 10th:D

The Hickory seems to be fairly stable. I have had one bowl crack but the others seem to be doing very well. Cant wait to see what you can do once you are up and running:D

Roland Martin
12-06-2010, 6:48 AM
Nice work on all the bowls, Ken:) The hickory has really nice character.

Mike Cruz
12-06-2010, 7:20 AM
Should have my risers by Christmas, then I have to put it all back together. I would say by the first of the year...

Nathan Hawkes
12-06-2010, 2:40 PM
Ken you've been busy! Looks good. Very similar to some shagbark hickory I worked with a couple years ago--love the variations in color in the heartwood! That is some TIGHT GRAIN! Very nice. I'll bet you got some sharpening practice in as well. :D;) I know how hard it is. I've been working with a bunch of hickory lately myself.

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Nice work on both bowl! Very interesting form on the Hickory! Sure is some pretty wood!