PDA

View Full Version : First Snow

Mark Hubl
12-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Well, just got done shoveling the first snow. The first real snow always seems to be the best looking. While shoveling it I was reminded how much more I like turning wood, sanding wood, cutting wood, etc. better than shoveling snow.:D

Any way, good day to start a fire, burn up some scrap and get back into the shop to work on a couple that are just out of the chuck. Need some coffee and contemplation to figure out how I will finish them.

For all you folks out in the cold, stay warm!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5168/5232056894_d9d5bd4ef1.jpg http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5208/5232055088_a2f6408e1e.jpg

Ray Bell
12-04-2010, 1:11 PM
Wow, your carving is great. These are going to be very nice when finished.
Stay warm!

charlie knighton
12-04-2010, 1:54 PM
while we do not have that much, this is way too soon to start this snow stuff

John Keeton
12-04-2010, 2:15 PM
Mark, those are going to be beautiful!! Love the one on the right with the spiral "excavation."

Ken Fitzgerald
12-04-2010, 2:17 PM
We've had our first and it's extremely unusual for us to get it in November. Thankfully it warmed up and melted so we could clean out the leaves out of the gutters.

Heated shop.....a fresh pot of coffee.......some maple burl.....some blackwood waiting ...the collaborative box handles.......later.

Kelvin Burton
12-04-2010, 2:18 PM
Mark, was the one on the right "hand hollowed" or is there some new tool I haven't heard of to hollow without a hole in the end? :-)

Art Schlangen
12-04-2010, 4:23 PM
Well I have been putting off.... Blower in shed, lawn stuff still on deck.... I guess I need to get busy... I would rather be putting Christmas decor on palm trees then pine trees... Happy holidays every one... ART

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8292/img00013p.jpg
By fireplug45 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/fireplug45)

Mark Hubl
12-04-2010, 4:31 PM
Mark, was the one on the right "hand hollowed" or is there some new tool I haven't heard of to hollow without a hole in the end? :-)

Nope, standard hollowing tools. The top just doesn't show too well in that pic.

Mark Hubl
12-04-2010, 4:34 PM
Well I have been putting off.... Blower in shed, lawn stuff still on deck.... I guess I need to get busy... I would rather be putting Christmas decor on palm trees then pine trees... Happy holidays every one... ART

I got lucky and got the lights up yesterday before the snow. A close one!:o

Richard Madden
12-04-2010, 4:40 PM
We've been lucky so far (no snow), but that could change quickly. Great looking projects there, especially the one on the right. Be sure and show us when done.

Wally Dickerman
12-04-2010, 4:45 PM
No snow, but I had to sit in the shade under the umbrella on the patio at lunch because it's 81 deg. today.....ahh, sunny Arizona

Wally

Ken Fitzgerald
12-04-2010, 4:47 PM
No snow, but I had to sit in the shade under the umbrella on the patio at lunch because it's 81 deg. today.....ahh, sunny Arizona

Wally

Boooooo! Hisssss!:rolleyes:;)

John Keeton
12-04-2010, 4:48 PM
This was the view from the front windows of the great room this morning -

This isn't our "first" (had a couple little dustings), but it is still coming down. Was supposed to be 1.5 - 2", but looks like it will be closer to 4-5".

We "get" to go into town and watch the Christmas parade tonite!!!:eek: Were it not for a bunch of grandkids in it, I would be comfortably parked in front of the TV!;)

Mark Hubl
12-04-2010, 4:48 PM

Wally

Yeah, but it is a dry 81 degrees! I am already yearning for spring training!

Rick Markham
12-04-2010, 4:55 PM
Mark those are beautiful! The one on the right is definitely spectacular!

I feel y'all's pain... I grew up in Kansas and an only child, I was the snow shoveler... That's why I moved to Florida! Y'all come down, I'll make some KC Bar B Que and we can sit in the sun and sip sweet tea. Its super nice out right now... It will only cost ya some turning lessons for me ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-04-2010, 5:43 PM
Rick....aren't you supposed to be studying for an exam?
:rolleyes:;)

Robert McGowen
12-04-2010, 6:29 PM
I need to visit Wally in Arizona. It was a little too cool in the shop today for me, even with both doors wide open!

Randy Gazda
12-04-2010, 7:03 PM
Mark:

Both of the turning/carvings are great. Wish I could say today was our first snow. It doesn't tend to last long (chinook winds) but it is acting like winter, one wave after another.:eek:

Marc Himes
12-04-2010, 7:07 PM
I really like the carving, Mark. It looks like there is some nice work on the window sill too.

Marc Himes

Rick Markham
12-04-2010, 7:37 PM
Rick....aren't you supposed to be studying for an exam?
:rolleyes:;)

Yes, sir! :(

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2010, 9:16 PM
Rick get at it. Pass those exams.

Mark Hubl
12-04-2010, 9:24 PM
Well I am glad that I was not the only one enjoying the snow today. Nice view John.

And Wally, Robert and Rick, don't forget to put on your sunscreen!

Great looking projects there, especially the one on the right.
Richard,
I thought you might find the twist interesting. I haven't tried another finial, but always enjoy seeing yours. I got a new carver, so I am playing with it.

Y'all come down, I'll make some KC Bar B Que and we can sit in the sun and sip sweet tea. Its super nice out right now... It will only cost ya some turning lessons for me ;)
Rick,
That sounds awfully tempting. It will really sound tempting around the middle of February.

Curt Fuller
12-04-2010, 10:00 PM
I took this picture from my driveway the morning after Thanksgiving as the sun was coming up. The snow was from a couple days earlier. I wish I had a couple pretty turnings to show with it but haven't gotten much done lately.

John Keeton
12-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Now THAT is a view!!! Sweeeeet!! Need company????

Mark Hubl
12-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Curt, that is a sweeter view for sure. I haven't been in the mountains of Idaho for over 10 years. The last time there I only made it into the Preston area. The west sure is magnificent.