PDA

View Full Version : Wobbly Gears.

paul mott
12-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Just for fun really, Gearotic Motion is a great program for creating various types of gears but it also has a light hearted side. These non linear gears were cut from 6mm acrylic, surprisingly they mesh and run together perfectly.

Paul.

Dee Gallo
12-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Paul, usually gear posts bored me, but this is very cool!

Thanks for sharing, dee

paul mott
12-04-2010, 1:10 PM
May be OK for tree decorations too :D

Paul.

Dee Gallo
12-04-2010, 3:12 PM
Paul, that looks like the beginning of a really fun kid's toy... or desk toy for the big kids. When they turn, do they rock and roll?

:) dee

Frank Corker
12-04-2010, 7:12 PM
I'm with Dee, these are really cool, if you let the file go make sure I get a copy. I too find the gear stuff interesting but pretty much of a muchness, these are really neat especially with them not being round. Great job!

paul mott
12-05-2010, 3:11 AM
They have to turn quite slowly for best effect but yes they really look good reflecting and refracting the light as they turn.

I use GCode for vector cutting so I am not sure if my files will be of any use. If you can use GCode I would be happy to post the files.

Paul.

Frank Corker
12-05-2010, 3:31 PM
I don't know what Gcode is, but I'd give it a whirl

paul mott
12-05-2010, 3:46 PM
You are welcome sir.

Paul.

paul mott
12-05-2010, 4:18 PM
Frank,

At the time I created the GCode I could have also produced a DXF but it is too late now for those gears. I have, however, made a couple of DXF's of different gears which mesh, perhaps you can use these - as long as they are both scaled the same amount they should still mesh OK. The kerf width has been set for my acrylic work which may not be the same for your machine but it is worth a try.

Paul.

Ross Lowry
12-05-2010, 6:54 PM
Paul,
Are you running a CNC machine?
Thats what I used to do before getting layed off from work and we did G-Code programming.

Michael Simpson Virgina
12-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Here are a couple gear flakes to work with. Just make sure when you scale them that you grab both and do them at the same time.

paul mott
12-06-2010, 3:03 AM
Ross,

My laser is a CNC machine. I constructed the whole thing from scratch as a wood router then built and added the laser cutting capability last year. I can route / cut wood and plastic, rotary engrave, cut vinyl signage, impact engrave and laser cut all with the same machine but not all at the same time :D
It is driven with Mach3 thus the GCode for everything. :)

Paul.

Frank Corker
12-06-2010, 7:38 AM
Paul, thanks very much, I'll see if I can't get to look at those. I appreciate your efforts. Mike, thanks I'll take a look at yours too when I get a minute.