PDA

View Full Version : 2 drill press problems

Dave Tesch
12-04-2010, 11:33 AM
i'm having some issues with my small drill press. i dont know the exact size of the tool but it sits on the shop bench; typical smaller drill press made you-know-where. i dont know the brand; they are probably all the same anyway. something with a "T" :confused:

its actually drills a very good hole despite its shortcomings.

the problems i am having are:

1. it has started making a loud noise when i release the chuck/spindle up after drilling a hole. its a dry-rotating type noise.

2. the chuck is starting to get a little difficult to tighten/loosen.

i think it needs to come apart but i am not too sure how to pull this little thing part. i can take apart/put together a full size delta but this thing came mostly assembled and without disassembly/assembly instructions.

i dont even know if this chuck has a tapered wedge or what (?)

i kinda feel dumb and dont want to tear into it without knowing what is involved.

sorry for my rambling post.

Myk Rian
12-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Got a picture of it?
Sounds like the spindle bushings need oiling.

Dave Tesch
12-04-2010, 12:53 PM
i dont have a pic. i'm at work now so i dont have access to it but it looks a lot like the cheepy mini drill press t northern tool. the colors are different but its basically the same tool.

seems to be a quill noise. maybe its not worth bothering with.

Myk Rian
12-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Is this it?
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/155300_lg.jpg

Usually, you remove the return spring, then pull out the quill pinion. (That's the part with the handles)
The quill should come out the bottom so you can work on it.
There might be a screw in the spindle pulley to be loosened.
Maintenance manual here. http://www.northerntool.com/downloads/manuals/155300.pdf

Dave Tesch
12-04-2010, 1:08 PM
its basically that drill. the colors are different, some handles and such are on opposite sides but basically the same. drills decent holes but has started making a squawking/rattle sound when i let the quill up. possible spline wear i guess.

i downloaded the manual for that drill and will have a go at it, the chuck looks like it is mounted in a way i have never seen before; the chuck has the hole(?)