PDA

View Full Version : What do you suggest

Tom Mullane
01-01-2005, 3:17 PM
I have 2 friends who wants to get into laser work.... thye insists that they will not be working on anything larger than a sheet of paper (8.5x11")...
Of course I would love to help them out since I would be able to get my pens engraved locally.... this is not an absolutley altruistic endevour... LOL
They say that they are planning to work mainly on wood only...
What do you guys recommend or where can I send them to find the information... also what price range to you think that they are going to find...
I told them that from what I have seen that a decent laser system is going to probably cost in the $5-7000 range, but that was a guess...

Keith Outten
01-01-2005, 4:26 PM
Tom,

Definately take a look at the new Epilog desktop units, they also just brought out a new model desktop that has all the really good features and sounds to me like a real winner. I think the desktops are in the $10,000.00 range.

www.epiloglaser.com

Gary Shoemake
01-01-2005, 5:18 PM
Hi there

Take a look at the V-series from Pinnacle. A 35 watt goes for somewhere under 10k. There are many good lasers and many have had experiences with with many brands. Look for warranties and tech support.

www.laserpin.com (http://www.laserpin.com/)

I have a larger M-series and it's great, especially learning about all it can do. My experience with tech support has been very positive. Hope this helps.

Gary

Randy Meijer
01-01-2005, 5:42 PM
I don't know squat about laser engravers; but did just get a packet in the mail from Epilog and their smallest unit handles 18"x12" material. The normal price for the 25 watt version is $14,000; but apparently there is some sort of sale and the current price is $9995. There are a couple of optional attachments that may or may not be necessities that add about $2500. With the packet, they sent a little sample.....an Aztec calendar. The detail and precision of the engraving is impressive!!!

James Stokes
01-01-2005, 7:30 PM
I hate to break it to you, but no one Will stay with 8.5x11. Tell them to get the largest one they can afford. You can do small jobs with a large machine, but you can not do large jobs on a small machine.

Mike Mackenzie
01-03-2005, 12:17 PM
If you are considering any laser system you need to do your homework. All systems are slightly different.

I recommend to gather all information and study it then do the research on your local representative and service center.

You can then make a good decision with all this information. here is a link to check out the Versa Laser that starts at $9995.00

WWW.versalaser.com (http://www.versalaser.com)