PDA

View Full Version : Vega 2600 bowl lathe??

lynn smith
12-04-2010, 12:24 AM
Anyone here own the Vega 2600 bowl lathe?
If so what do think?

Thanks

Alan Trout
12-04-2010, 12:35 AM
I have seen one and they are a pretty nice machine. You might drop Bill Grumbine a line and ask him. I know he has one. If you are doing mostly bowls they are a purpose built machine.

Good Luck

Alan

Harry Robinette
12-05-2010, 12:16 AM
Lynn
I've had my Vega for about 7years or so,I totally love the machine.It's my second lathe I also have an 18" General 160.As a bowl lathe I think there hard to beat for the money,when I started looking there was nothing under
something like $5000 I could find.The lathe I wanted was a Stubby 1000 but they were around $7000 my Vega was shiped to my house I think it was $2130 or $2310 and I've enjoyed every minuate of having it.IT IS A BOWL LATHE,You need to have a bed lathe to unless you can live with 17" between centers.Iunderstand the beefed up the tail stock (mine well flex if you really tighten it down) but it's nothing you can't get use to.
The one thing I had to do was weld a 5/8's drill rod to the top of the tool rest the movement of the tool and the contact to the wood started a vibration in the tool rest that made it sing.Hope this helps I don't type much but if you need anything else just PM me I'll help if I can.