PDA

View Full Version : Keeping my table saw wheels a turnin'

Russell Smallwood
12-03-2010, 8:51 PM
All,

Possible stupid question...but

Is there any collective knowledge regarding keeping the tilt and height adjustment wheels turning smoothly on the generic cabinet saws?

I have a G0690 which, over all, I'm extremely pleased with except that the height and tilt wheels can become very difficult to turn. I suspect it's due to sawdust buildup in the screw or something but it makes me dread setting the blade tilt.

Any tips on keeping the wheels turning smoothly?

edit: To be completely accurate, I would have to say that the height adjustment doesn't really have the problem as much as the tilt.

glenn bradley
12-03-2010, 10:09 PM
You shouldn't really be getting a lot of chip build-up on your gear teeth if you have adequate dust collection. Also, avoid lubricant that can cause dust to stick. I use a teflon spray-on product (http://www.lowes.com/pd_213197-39963-D00110101_0__?productId=1059839&Ntt=teflon&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dteflon) that is quite cheap and I am only on my second can in many years.

Karl Brogger
12-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Grease.

Dust sticks to it, but it doesn't matter. Worm gears are fairly self cleaning. I only have to lube mine a few times a year using grease, and my saws are used daily.

Doesn't take much either.

I've tried teflon sprays, oil, wax, and grease. Grease was the smoothest, and the longest lasting.

I don't know about Grizzly, but on Powermatic saws you can adjust how tight the worm gear is to its mate. It should be just tight enough that there isn't much slop, but not so tight that its difficult to operate despite being well lubed. I'd assume Grizzly has something similar.

Neil Brooks
12-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Yup.

In particular, I like the white lithium grease. Stick form is easy and 'accurate' to apply.

Stephen Cherry
12-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Yup.

In particular, I like the white lithium grease. Stick form is easy and 'accurate' to apply.

I prefer wheel bearing grease- first of all, that is what I have, and second, for me the lithium grease has a little bit of an aftertaste.

Russell Smallwood
12-03-2010, 10:40 PM
thanks all,

Probably just need to grease it then.

Karl, thanks for the tip on the worm gear adjustment. I'll have to check the manual.

Neil Brooks
12-03-2010, 10:46 PM
I prefer wheel bearing grease- first of all, that is what I have, and second, for me the lithium grease has a little bit of an aftertaste.

Sure, but it provides a cooler, smoother smoke -- rather like a menthol.

glenn bradley
12-03-2010, 10:50 PM
But lithium leaves your teeth their whitest.

Ted Wong
12-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Not sure how your blade height / tilt mechanism works but on a SS the crank handle shaft for the height adjustment goes through a shaft hole that may become periodically contaminated with dust and debris. This will cause the crank handles to become difficult to turn and no amount of lubricant will provide lasting relief. A simple disassembly of the parts will allow cleaning of the shaft holes and a light spray of Boeshield or other lubricating spray followed by a buffing usually improves the movement significantly.

johnny means
12-04-2010, 1:21 AM
Not sure how your blade height / tilt mechanism works but on a SS the crank handle shaft for the height adjustment goes through a shaft hole that may become periodically contaminated with dust and debris. This will cause the crank handles to become difficult to turn and no amount of lubricant will provide lasting relief. A simple disassembly of the parts will allow cleaning of the shaft holes and a light spray of Boeshield or other lubricating spray followed by a buffing usually improves the movement significantly.

I noticed this on my ICS. After about a year the adjustments wouldn't reach their stops. I discovered the problem when my blade would't drop below the table. Guess I need to be extra vigilante about dust collection.

Jim O'Dell
12-04-2010, 10:06 AM
I haven't noticed any problems with my 691. Maybe I'm not cutting enough on it!!! :confused: The cyclone does keep it pretty clean in there. I found a dry spray stuff at HD that seems to work good. Used it when I put things together last Winter, haven't had to do it again, yet. Not sure about the adjustments...I need to look at that also. Jim.