PDA

View Full Version : My latest project. Mega monsters.

Amanda Davis
12-03-2010, 7:45 PM
After many "all-nighters", I have finally finished a project I was collaborating with a friend on for his art installation show.

I always love seeing what other laserists here create and though I'd share photos of these pieces.

Each were 20" tall, all cut with my Epilog, and every piece was hand inlayed and adhered together. (The acrylic colors were chosen by him. Also, the forehead of each monster is mirrored, which isn't too evident in my photos.)

Alongside the wall hangings, he chose 2 different materials for 100 necklaces and I also made red mirrored/engraved zipper pulls.

As with my previous post, I have yet another glue question. Per recommendation of some folks here in the forum, I read awhile back that using black spraypaint behind engraved, mirrored acrylic adds a little extra bit of pizazz. I did that with the zipper pulls and they looked fabulous. Unfortunately, I had quite a hard time finding a glue to adhere a solid black backing to the pieces that didn't eat away the spraypaint and showed through the front.

Does anyone know what glue would hold strongly and not effect the spraypaint? Tacky glue, contact cement, and E-6000 all failed me.

Thanks in advance :)

Frank Corker
12-03-2010, 9:05 PM
Very cool, well done!

Dee Gallo
12-03-2010, 9:18 PM
I like to hear about collaboration - the results are great and needed both parties to come to fruition. Well done!

I can't help you on the glue question, but I'll be interested to see the answer!

cheers, dee

Larry Bratton
12-03-2010, 9:42 PM
After many "all-nighters", I have finally finished a project I was collaborating with a friend on for his art installation show.

I always love seeing what other laserists here create and though I'd share photos of these pieces.

Each were 20" tall, all cut with my Epilog, and every piece was hand inlayed and adhered together. (The acrylic colors were chosen by him. Also, the forehead of each monster is mirrored, which isn't too evident in my photos.)

Alongside the wall hangings, he chose 2 different materials for 100 necklaces and I also made red mirrored/engraved zipper pulls.

As with my previous post, I have yet another glue question. Per recommendation of some folks here in the forum, I read awhile back that using black spraypaint behind engraved, mirrored acrylic adds a little extra bit of pizazz. I did that with the zipper pulls and they looked fabulous. Unfortunately, I had quite a hard time finding a glue to adhere a solid black backing to the pieces that didn't eat away the spraypaint and showed through the front.

Does anyone know what glue would hold strongly and not effect the spraypaint? Tacky glue, contact cement, and E-6000 all failed me.

Thanks in advance :)
I have been using Gorilla Glue's 5 minute Epoxy. I needed to find something that would not attack the backing on acrylic mirror so I could cut letters out of it and then re-glue it to another substrate. I tried several things and it worked best. Be quick though, coz it sets up rapidly.

Viktor Voroncov
12-04-2010, 4:53 AM
Good laser work, but looks horrendous :eek: I think this is modern art :)

Steve Clarkson
12-04-2010, 6:50 AM
Those are great!! Nice job!

I also had the problem of glues eating away at paint fill........ultimately, the solution I came up with was to use plaque tape....it's strong and thin and should work in 90% of your situations.

Chris Tatarian
12-04-2010, 10:20 AM
I would recommend 3M 467 MP Peel-n-stick. Comes in a variety of widths. Very nice work.

Chris