PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel cage blower -- wiring

Jerry Bittner
01-01-2005, 1:22 PM
Based on advice at this forum, I am attempting to construct an exhaust system to vent paint fumes when spraying finishes or whatever. I managed to get two squirrel cage blowers both of which appear to have 220 V motors. Haven't decided which one to use but that's immaterial (one has a blower wheel of approximately 10 inches diameter and the other about 14 inches. I can't read the label on the morots without taking them out of the housing to determine the horsepower. My question relates to connecting wither motor to one of my 220 volt outlets.

One of the motors has three leads exiting from the motor and the other four. None of these leads are grounds or appear so. -- at least none are color coded green. Both motors also have two other wires exiting from the motor to capacitors.

When I wired my outlets, I used three wire -- white, read, and a ground.

I know this is sketchy information but thought some of you who have electrical experience can lead me to a wiring diagram with this limited information.

Thanks.

Bill Turpin
01-01-2005, 3:15 PM
Used squirrel cage blowers are not explosion proof. You are inviting a potential disaster using them for sucking paint, and especially lacquer fumes. If your motor was 115 volt it would be easy, but with 220v you will need to pull motor out of housing.

Bill Turpin in WNC mountains

Jim Becker
01-01-2005, 4:13 PM
I agree with Bill...unless you stick strictly with water bourne finishes for your spraying, you need the "right" kind of fan for the purpose. Unfortunately, they are not inexpensive nor available along the curb or behind your friendly local HVAC contractor's shop.

Steve Clardy
01-01-2005, 5:42 PM
I would suggest just buying a fan for this. I just got one from Grainger, $180.00 I believe, with shutters. Installed it in the spray room wall. Has a sealed motor. 110 volt.

Jerry Bittner
01-01-2005, 9:20 PM
Guess I should have clarified the subject. Thanks for the concerns and yes I was planning on using water borne finishes with the HVLP recognizing I'm not explosion proof.

Another thought to avoid that concern/problem is to use the blower with a filter to force air into the "curtain surronded" spray area and then vent tfrom the spray area to the outside. I figure that idea will create a postive displacement of air and the squirrel blower will be isolated from any potential ignitible fumes. Plus any dust laden air will be caught by the filter before it enters the spray area.

But my problem of wiring remains so I'm still looking for some advice from the electrical experts assuming they are have survived their New Years partying.

Thanks for the posts

Jim Dunn
01-01-2005, 9:30 PM
Jerry,

Hook the white wire to 115v black wire to 115v 115+115=230v. Bare ground is the common in the case of 230v system. Should be 12ga wire and if you desire you can run a separate wire for a ground from motor case to panel.

Jim

Lamar Horton
01-01-2005, 9:30 PM
The different wires are probably for different speeds. The red wire IIRC is for the highest speed. These motors were frequently used in electric furnaces. When the seasons change you would change the speed of the blower.