PDA

View Full Version : Super Nova 2 ---Question

Gary Max
12-03-2010, 5:56 PM
Just bought this last month, Super Nova 2. I found some extra time today and wanted to use this chuck. Here's the question---distance of travel for the jaws. This pic shows the jaws open as far as they will go.
I have a Nova Chuck and a Titan, both of them open a lot farther than this. The distance of travel seems very short and limits the jaws.
Does someone have one of these to compare how far the travel should be?
Thanks

Thom Sturgill
12-03-2010, 6:22 PM
Looks just like mine - that's why they make so many different jaws. You really want to use the jaws in a nearly closed position with a tenon (or mortice) that is the right size so that you are getting maximum contact.

David DeCristoforo
12-03-2010, 7:01 PM
I was surprised when I first got my SN2 at how limited the jaw travel was.

Larry Marley
12-03-2010, 7:12 PM
Yep, the Oneway chucks open way past the body. I frequently ran my Oneway with the jaws extended past the body. This is a dangerous practice IMHO. I purchased the Super Nova because I like the ball end allen better than the Oneway toothed handle and it forces me to swap out the jaws instead of risking injury to save time. I really like the Oneway quality, but I also like my fingers.

Gary Max
12-03-2010, 7:39 PM
Thanks guys----I wanted to ask before I fussed at anyone.

Mike Peace
12-03-2010, 7:48 PM
I think the idea of limited jaw travel is a mindset. One of the factors of secure chucking is maximum steel on the wood. This is not necessarilly "intuitively obvious to the casual observer" as they say. That means making the smallest tenon that you can grip and still have a little gap between the jaws. You need to size the tenon correctly. Once you have a clear understanding of that, range of jaw travel will no longer be a factor that you much think about. Making a "go - no go" gage can help. Here is a picture I got from some turning forum but can' remember where or from whom. Each template has a min. and max size for tenon and recess.

Gary Max
12-03-2010, 7:58 PM
Mike with both the Nova and the Titan there is at least twice as much travel.
Personally I like the biggest tenon I can get----gives the chuck more to hang on to.
You are correct that it won't surprise me again, I just wanted to make sure it was working right, they don't give them away.
Hey you got a extra set of those template---I also need one for 75mm jaws-----------: )

James Combs
12-03-2010, 8:03 PM
Looks just like mind when it is open.

Mark Levitski
12-04-2010, 9:07 AM
I agree, and I think it really does make a difference to better gripping.

However, if you are roughing out to dry, then the smallest tenon that still leaves a gap between the jaws will most likely cause you to change jaws (to a smaller set) when you come back to true the tenon for finishing. You will wind up taking off too much to true the dry tenon for it to fit in those same jaws. It's an art to getting enough size when you rough out for eventual truing whilst leaving as much jaw surface gripping. That is if you're not into changing jaws too much, or if you don't have a separate dedicated chuck for each jaw size. If you're turning dry blanks, wouldn't matter.

BTW, I have been turning a lot of bowls since I started about 6 years ago and only have one chuck. It's a SN2.

Also, I use a template too, but for sizing my tenon calipers. I have it drawn out on my bench near the lathe, and I just used calipers on the jaws to draw it.

David DeCristoforo
12-04-2010, 9:45 AM
"...with the jaws extended past the body. This is a dangerous practice...''

This is a good point. The limited travel on the SN2 is only an issue the first time you run into it! After that, you get some bigger jaws if you need them and you are aware of the need to take some care in sizing your tenons and/or recesses. I've had my fingers/hands/elbows knocked around by the edges of NE pieces and it can take the joy out of the work in a hurry! Chunks of steel with sharply machined edges and corners would potentially be even more unpleasant!