PDA

View Full Version : OT But Probably Appropriate

Joe Scarfo
01-01-2005, 1:14 PM
I ran into a new client last week whose husband is a woodworker by trade. Unfortunately he severed his thumb on a table saw while on the job. It's been re attached and time will tell if it's a success.

Why am I writing?

It's not common knowledge... but people who look to their spouses health insurance to cover them while on the job may be surprised to discover the claim could be denied. Workers Comp is designed to provide on the job coverage. There are insurance companies out there who cover you while on the job. Seek on out.

For those of you who are professional woodworkers, please contact an insurance professional to make sure you're covered for these types of accidents.

Sorry if this post is out of bounds, I'll look to the moderator to provide that guidance.

Thanks
Joe in Tampa

Randy Moore
01-01-2005, 3:08 PM
Joe,
I am a sheet metal worker in the Kansas City Ks/Mo area. Any time you get hurt on the job workers compensation is supposed to cover all bills pertaining to that injury. The employer is supposed to carry that, required. I fell several years ago, just 6 feet, and broke my right hand. I was off work for ten weeks and did not have one bill to pay pertaining to that bill. Any one who gets hurt on the job is covered by work comp. You just have to tell your employer that you got hurt

Randy

Jim O'Dell
01-01-2005, 3:42 PM
But many independant woodworking professionals may not buy Workers Comp. insurance, and instead rely on their spouses medical insurance to cover them. It is this insurance that may or may not cover the independant wood worker who is hurt on the job. Certainly someone employed by a company should be covered, but what if the employer has let their WC policy lapse? I think the post is a good reminder for those of you who make your living doing woodworking, or any other type of job, to make sure you are covered in case something bad happens. Seek out help from your insurance agent. They are the ones who have all the facts and can help you best. JIm.

Jim Becker
01-01-2005, 4:11 PM
Jim and Joe you are correct...independent craftsmen still need to have proper business coverages to insure that they will not have issues with work-related injuries. A conversation with an insurance agent that specializes in small businesses is the best way to insure that you know what's what and have the coverages you need.

Where I see another issue is for folks who strictly speaking are not in business but take their hobby beyond just making things for their own use. Where does the incidental selling start to endanger you relative to insurance coverages for woodworking-related boo-boos??? Interesting, indeed!

Joe Scarfo
01-02-2005, 3:49 PM
I can't speak for other states but in Fla workers comp is not required for very small shops. The threshold is something like 4 or 5.

I posted this only to share a recent client experience.... and to suggest that anyone in doubt contact an insurance professional.

Tks
Joe in Tampa...