PDA

View Full Version : A little beading tool gloat!!

John Keeton
12-03-2010, 3:41 PM
I have a mental picture of a turning I want to do sometime soon, a part of which was inspired by seeing a demo by Jim Adkins of his "Basket Illusions." Jim uses D-Way beading tools, and he passed them around at the club demo - very impressive.

So, I thought I would get a couple - 1/8" and 3/16". Really quality tools, and very sharp as they came.

I am looking forward to playing with these!! Incidentally, Jim uses them unhandled.

Ray Bell
12-03-2010, 3:48 PM
Nice gloat John, looking forward to the results.

Steve Schlumpf
12-03-2010, 3:51 PM
John - glad to see they arrived! Look pretty nice!

Looking forward to seeing the beading project!

Mark Hubl
12-03-2010, 4:31 PM
John,

Beads Away!! Those do look nice. They should work well. I have a large beading tool I bought early that I never use. Really too large for anything I have done. Of course I have a couple of dis-functional beading tools also.

Matt Owen
12-03-2010, 5:03 PM
Those are some good looking tools. Sure will make beads easier.

How do you sharpen one of those? Rounded slip stone in the flute, along the front edge maybe?

Matt

John Keeton
12-03-2010, 5:25 PM
These are sharpened on the front face, Matt. Adkins uses them to do this type of work - he runs the beads, then does pyro on them to appear like they are wrapped quills in a basket, then does the dye work. Phenomenal stuff!!

BTW, my project idea does NOT approach anything like this!! I don't think the good Lord has given me that much time.;) http://www.jcgltd.com/images/gallery/ADK0012010023998.jpg

gary Zimmel
12-03-2010, 7:38 PM
A couple of more tools for your arsenal. Can't have enough tools.:D
Can't wait to see the first pieces you use them on John..

Michael James
12-03-2010, 8:13 PM
Nice gloat, and I think I can guess where you're going with this texturing, but, whatever....Im sure it's going to be impressive. Let rip, Mr K!:D

Robert Culver
12-03-2010, 8:36 PM
John, John , John come on now the first step to not being able to do someting is to say silly stuff like that. ACCCKKK.... from my point of view you should be able to whip somthing like that out in a few hours or so.... Shezzzzz. Nice looking tools I cant imagine using them unhandled woowzerssss.

Bernie Weishapl
12-03-2010, 8:40 PM
John those are some good looking tools. Where did you purchase them? I have one I think is a Sorby and don't like it at all.

John Keeton
12-03-2010, 9:44 PM
Nice looking tools I cant imagine using them unhandled woowzerssss.Rob, the beads are very small and these tools are SHARP. I was up close to the lathe when Adkins was doing the demo, and it takes very light pressure to do the beads. The trick is to set the tool in the previous bead for alignment - that is where the practice comes in!!;) And, lots of it, I suspect.

John those are some good looking tools. Where did you purchase them? I have one I think is a Sorby and don't like it at all.Bernie, they really are quality. Bought them from D-Way Tools (http://www.d-waytools.com/). Not cheap, but then one gets what one pays for most of the time. Jim Adkins says he can get through more than one turning without sharpening these things. That was impressive for me. He turns maple.

BTW, the inside of his turnings look just like the outside!!:eek: Most of them are done in two separate turnings and glued together. If you look closely, you can see the seam in this one.

Jeff Nicol
12-03-2010, 10:35 PM
John, They look real nice but I always have to do the creating on my own. I have ground a couple of HSS cutters to different sizes that fit in my boring handle instead of the drill bit or others. I did make one out of an old wood chisel that works good too. Frugal or cheap, thrifty or tight, I've been called them all!

Good luck with your new Beaders!

Jeff

Alan Trout
12-04-2010, 12:23 AM
John,

Those are really nice looking tools. I really don't think they are that expensive. I always look at tools as how much time would it take me to make them and decide if I want to spend the next several hours making it or spend the $40. Sometimes if I think I have a better idea so I will make it, but most of the time it is much less stressful just to spend the money. :)

Let us know how they work for you. I might be interested in some myself.

Alan

Matt Hutchinson
12-04-2010, 9:12 AM
Great looking tools....congrats!

John, talk about having good timing.....

I actually just received some Henry Taylor beading tools from Craft Cupplies, and I am very disappointed. I usually love HT tools, but they totally missed the boat on these. The catalog description said they were unhandled, but it didn't say they were a measly 5" long! Too short for me, not to mention it didn't have a nice tang to insert into a wood handle. Poorly thought out tool design IMO.

Thanks to this post, those are definitely going back now......D-way appears to have an extremely superior beading set.

Thanks for posting! Can't wait to see what you turn with them!

Hutch

John Keeton
12-04-2010, 9:19 AM
Matt, I actually bought a group of used tools at one point that included a set of those beading tools. Having nothing to compare to, I did not realize the lack of quality. At the time, I really had no inspiration for beaded work, and sold them. The difference in quality is night and day!

Roland Martin
12-04-2010, 9:21 AM
WOW, that is one heck of a time-consuming turning! Nice tools, John, anxiously waiting to see how you like them and what you produce with them.

Cathy Schaewe
12-04-2010, 10:11 AM
I too will be interested to hear what you think of them. I have a sorby tool that has one protrusion in the middle, rather than 2 (one on each tip) like those, and I seem to get a lot of tearout. I'm probably pushing too hard, but it seems like it would be easier regardless to have the tool that sets the size of the bead for you.

Rick Robbins
12-04-2010, 1:02 PM
John those are very nice. i put the website in my Favorites. My name is Rick and yes i'm addicted to tool's and woods. Rick

Dave Schweitzer
12-04-2010, 5:16 PM
John,
Glad to here they arrived safe and sound. Looking forward to see what you make with them. Jim does beautifull work. It is about the steel {M 42 Colbalt] the quality maching, heatreating and then the polishing of the flutes and last thing is the sharpness. The reason I know that is because I do it.
Dave Schweitzer.

Richard Madden
12-04-2010, 6:00 PM
Nice looking tools, John. after seeing this post http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=142643 and the article an in Woodturning Design, I knew I was going to have to give it a try someday. If you will be burning the beads, what burner will you use? I have been leaning toward the Razertip with the create-a-tip pen, but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

John Keeton
12-04-2010, 6:51 PM
Richard, tomorrow I will post pics of my woodburning setup. Bought it off CL, and it had a Detail Master pen with it, and a bunch of tips including several sizes of fishscale tips. Those are what Adkins uses - just hoping I have the right sizes. It came with over a dozen tips, so I should have them.

Dave, thanks for the info on the M 42 Cobalt. Not sure I picked up on that on your website. You did a great job on the tools, and I am very much looking forward to trying them out.

Keith Palmer
12-04-2010, 8:47 PM
Dave makes some wonderful tools!! He belongs to the same club I do. I picked up a set of those beading tools this summer, but haven't had a chance to use them yet. I also have one of his bowl gouges and it stays sharp for a long time and makes a wonderfully smooth cut.

I can't wait to see your project John!

Welcome to the creek Dave!!

P.S. There is a nice article on Dave in the latest AAW American Woodturner.

Rick Robbins
12-05-2010, 9:40 AM
I'm from Washington state also. joining the olympia WoodTurners soon. i have the Sorbey Beading tool's also. did Two call's yesterday with bead's. Walnut crotch and Koi lot's of tear out. . going to buy a tool today. cant wait to see your stuff John. i like indian type arts like above. you got your work cut out for you. Happy Turning. Rick:)

Wow Dave Schweitzer your Less than 25 miles from me.

Dave Mcintire
12-05-2010, 10:01 AM
You didn't say if you used them yet? The big problem with most beading tools is chip out when cutting cross grain. Do these make a complete bead around the work without any chipout? If they do, they're worth what they cost.

Ryan Baker
12-05-2010, 4:43 PM
The Sorbys, Henry Taylors, etc. are scrapers. Don't expect them to compare with cutting tools such as the ones mentioned here. They work "OK" for scrapers, but they do have issues with tearout, as expected. A cutting tool gives a superior cut, with a higher price tag.

Dave -- those look like nice tools. And welcome to the forum.

John Keeton
12-05-2010, 5:46 PM
You didn't say if you used them yet? The big problem with most beading tools is chip out when cutting cross grain. Do these make a complete bead around the work without any chipout? If they do, they're worth what they cost.Dave, I have not used these yet, but I did watch Jim Adkins use one for about an hour off and on. The beads were so smooth to the touch that I didn't think sanding was an issue, but he does sand them lightly. There was absolutely no hint of tearout - long grain or end grain.

Jim Burr
12-05-2010, 8:02 PM
I went for the 2-fer deal...tried a Sorby and really was scared using it. This looks like fun!

Rick Robbins
12-05-2010, 8:28 PM
i got the two Spindle Gouges with Handle's 1/2 and 3/8's. then coming this weekend i'll get a beading tool. cant wait to see what you come up with John that is some wild beading there. Rick:)

Steve Bistritz
12-06-2010, 8:48 PM
Wondering if anyone has tried them yet? These seem to be what I have been looking for, looking for a good review before I pull the trigger... Thanks in advance...:)

John Keeton
12-16-2010, 6:56 PM
I have been working on the turning for which these beading tools were purchased, and I am at the point where I need to do the beads. I wanted to do a practice run as I have not used these D-way tools at all.

This is a piece of holly about 2" in diameter, beaded with the 3/16" tool. Keep in mind the holly was not sanded at all before beading - normally one would have the cylinder finish sanded. This is straight off the tool, so the little bit of grain showing is not tear out. And, these are the first four beads that I have cut with this tool.

These tools are awesome! Cut like a dream and clean! Since I will be doing some pyro work on the beading on this piece, I wanted to see how my new "E string" burning wire worked - I think it came out perfect for what I need.

I am excited about doing the real thing! Hope to start on that tomorrow.

Ray Bell
12-16-2010, 7:48 PM
John, because of your recommendation, your results, and because Dave is a member, and Washington resident, I just ordered the 1/4", and the 1/8" beading tools from him. Are you still using these without handles?

John Keeton
12-16-2010, 7:50 PM
John, because of your recommendation, your results, and because Dave is a member, and Washington resident, I just ordered the 1/4", and the 1/8" beading tools from him. Are you still using these without handles?Yes, Ray, it takes very little pressure to cut these beads. Holding them without a handle was quite easy. If you have exceptionally large hands, that may be the only reason to have a handle. You will be very happy with the quality here!

Ryan Baker
12-16-2010, 10:45 PM
You guys are being a bad influence again. I just ordered a set. (That shipping charge is terrible.) Can't wait to try them out.

Ralph Lindberg
03-01-2011, 1:33 PM
Wondering if anyone has tried them yet? These seem to be what I have been looking for, looking for a good review before I pull the trigger... Thanks in advance...:)

Old post, but no one has replied

I've had a set of four since shortly after Dave introduced them. I bought them for the 1/16 tool, the smallest beading tool I am aware of.

I truly love them and enjoy using them.

I do think Dave was a little aghast when I put wood handles on them.:D
But I have also used them with no-handles

BTW. I was given one of Dave's small skew chisels. It's also a very nice tool and I find myself using it a lot

John Keeton
03-01-2011, 2:19 PM
Ralph, glad you posted! I have enjoyed using mine - particularly after seeing Dave's video and talking to Jim Adkins on the preferred angle of attack.

Dan Forman
03-01-2011, 2:45 PM
John, what are the other two tools on the left? They look like the round bottom scrapers similar to The Tracy Owens tools. I have a couple of DWay bowl gouges and they are great.

Edit: never mind, I guess they are the blanks from which the others are ground.

Dan

John Keeton
03-01-2011, 3:21 PM
Dan, same tools. The pic on the left is a side view, and the other pic is from the underside (flute side.)

Jim Burr
03-01-2011, 4:04 PM
Ha!!! I have the same set...and use them un-handled as well. I'm working on a base for a Claro HF I posted a while back and used these to excess!! They are extremely sharp and so easy to use...remember to rock back and forth!!!

Ray Bell
03-01-2011, 9:00 PM
Since John posted this original thread way back when, I have purchased a full set of these beaders. Mt work is no where as impressive as Jim Adkins, JK's, or most other folks on this wonderful forum, but I do love these beading tools. Very nice to have around for adding small details, and besides, I have to support any Washingtonian that produces quality turning tools:)