PDA

View Full Version : Software advice needed

Neil Pabia
12-03-2010, 2:56 PM
I just ordered a Epilog laser and was wondering if anyone can recommend some software that would make life easier. I have Corel Draw 5X already but have heard that 4X is better, changing isn't a big deal. I am also getting PhotoLaser Pro with the laser, but am looking for any advice on other software that would be helpful to own. Thanks

Dee Gallo
12-03-2010, 3:07 PM
With those two programs you should be fine. My best advice is to learn them WELL and feel comfortable using the tools.

On Corel, practice tracing and drawing, don't rely on clipart as-is. It is not only a crutch, but it dictates what you have to use perfect or not. Learn how to alter it, use it to make your designs better.

On PhotoLaser, learn to process your photos so they work with various substrates. It's not all about looking good on the screen, but how they will burn that you should be concerned with.

The more you practice, the better your work will be, the faster you will be able to do jobs and the less stress you will feel as you start out.

Pushing the GO button is the easiest part of owning a laser!

Have fun! dee

Garrett Nors
12-03-2010, 3:36 PM
I just ordered a Epilog laser and was wondering if anyone can recommend some software that would make life easier. I have Corel Draw 5X already but have heard that 4X is better, changing isn't a big deal. I am also getting PhotoLaser Pro with the laser, but am looking for any advice on other software that would be helpful to own. Thanks

Is this your first laser?

Martin Boekers
12-03-2010, 3:40 PM
You have the basics there. Like Dee said practice, practice, practice.

If you jump into to many different softwares at one time it's harder to
learn each and gets frustrating.

Keep in mind most software is upgradable quite a bit cheaper. You
may find an older version discounted and buy an upgrade cheaper than
the latest and greatest version.

There are tons of FREE tutorials out there, search for them esp. You Tube.

You might keep a notebook to make it quicker to find solutions as you won't remember all of them.

Start a bookmark folders with, vendors, research, clipart, software tutorial
"best pages from Sawmill Creek" etc. that way you'll have an organized
any easily searched database of info.

Good luck!

Gary Hair
12-03-2010, 5:04 PM
I have Corel Draw 5X already but have heard that 4X is better, changing isn't a big deal.

No need to change X5 for X4 - there is nothing wrong with X5, at least nothing that would warrant going back to X4. I have used X5 since it was released and with the latest service pack it works fine for me.

Stick with it and practice, practice, practice, and when you are done practicing, practice some more. It's really not that hard to use but you'll just get better, and faster, the more you use it.

Gary

Mike Null
12-04-2010, 5:53 AM
X5 is just fine. Install the service packs and you'll have no problem.

Neil Pabia
12-05-2010, 3:09 PM
Thank you for all the replies, it looks like I don't need to spend anymore money.
This will be the first laser that I own, I did a lot of research on them and then rolled the dice and went with the Epilog Helix 60 watt machine, it will be delivered right after New Years.

Larry Bratton
12-05-2010, 3:12 PM
Thank you for all the replies, it looks like I don't need to spend anymore money.
This will be the first laser that I own, I did a lot of research on them and then rolled the dice and went with the Epilog Helix 60 watt machine, it will be delivered right after New Years.
The Epilog Helix with 60 watts is a great choice. I'm sure you will be very happy with it, as I am happy with my Epilog EXT. Good luck with it.

Michael Simpson Virgina
12-05-2010, 3:20 PM
Make sure you are running the latest release of X5. As of Dec 5 2010 its Version 5.2.0.661. Previous versions had some real issues and I even lost documents.

This version is stable enough that I dont go back to X4 any more. There are still some Corel to Epilog issues but I think they are problems mostly on the Epilog driver side.