PDA

View Full Version : Need help cleaning a Grizzly

Bob Worrel Jr.
01-01-2005, 1:13 PM
I finally got to the point where I can put the G1023S and the G1182HW together. I started with the G1182HW Jointer. I'm ready to clean off the protection grease they put on it at the factory. I've tried 409 with Orange Power...sounds impressive but...NG. I then tried Greased Lightning. I worked at it for 20 minutes and cleaned an area that's 3" x 3" and that wasn't thouroughly cleaned. At that rate it'll take days. :mad:

Anyone have any thoughts on what will remove this stuff? Thanks.

Tim Morton
01-01-2005, 1:28 PM
2 things I have had sucess with are wd-40 or kerosene and a roll of shop towels. Congrats on all the new tools!!

happy new year :cool:

Rob Blaustein
01-01-2005, 1:31 PM
Bob,
I used mineral spirits on mine, on the advice of others, and the waxy stuff came right off. Apply it generously--it basically dissolves the wax, so I found I needed to use several clean rags so I could reapply fresh mineral spirits and re-wipe to really get it all off. I also tried the citrus stuff, and there was no comparison (mineral spirits far better). You should be able to get mineral spirits at most hardware stores and it's inexpensive (a few bucks for a gallon).
-Rob

John Weber
01-01-2005, 1:36 PM
Just like the others, WD-40, kerosene, mineral spirits. I have some WD-40 presoaked disposable rags that really do the trick. Just plan to use a roll of paper towel or two and gloves so your hands don't dry out. Finish up with a coat of Boeshield, wax, or Topcoat.

John

Bob McBride
01-01-2005, 2:36 PM
When you done cleaning the tables off you should put some paste wax or something to protect them from rust. Congrats on the new tools

Terre Hooks
01-01-2005, 3:06 PM
Take 4 oz of mineral spirits, poured in a small cup or something. Take a 1" or similar throw-away brush, and brush the MS on. Go over everything you want clean.

By the time you have covered everything and given it a good brush, take paper towels and start wiping. Wipe everything dry, then take some paper towels soaked in MS and wipe it again. I'd make sure you have some Nitrile gloves on.

Wipe it all again with dry paper towels, and wow, your done.

Put a heavy coat of wax on it and let it dry. Then put another coat on with some 0000 steel wool, let it start to dry and buff til it's slick and dry with a clean rag.

I have never had any trouble getting a new machine clean. Mineral spirits cuts the stuff quick. It's $3 a gallon and available everywhere.

Please make sure you lay out the rags. Otherwise, you'll be posting that your shop burned down and the certified state fire marshall said it was because of oily rags.

Jim Becker
01-01-2005, 4:15 PM
Kerosene is generally the solvent specified by the tool manufacturers for cleaning the cosmoline and other protective coatings from the tool surfaces. Follow that up with mineral spirits to degrease and make it ready for paste wax or a commercial protectant.

Terre Hooks
01-01-2005, 4:51 PM
Mineral spirits is refined kerosene.

They only reason the machine manufacturers reccomend that is that it leaves some residual "oil" for somewhat of a protectant.

I live in an area where surface rock is plenty, and humidity is greater around here than most anywhere else in the Winter.

As long as I clean and wax my cast iron about twice a year, I have no rusting problems.

Sweaty hands, arms, and dripping brows excluded.