PDA

View Full Version : Restore or Replace

Billy McCarthy
12-03-2010, 1:09 PM
I've got a pair of old Disston saws from my helping clean out my wife's grandparent's home. 1 is a D-95 8pt crosscut with a noticeable kink/bend in the blade. The other is 5.5pt rip, not sure of the model as the label has worn off the blade. Both have some pitting in the blade, but not near the teeth.

Looking around online it seems like there's a lot of decent used saws out there for about the same price as having mine cleaned up. Aside from not wanting to take somewhat usable saws out of the world's pool, is there any reason to try and bring these back to life, or should I just move and get to building things?

David Weaver
12-03-2010, 1:38 PM
save the 5.5 point rip. it doesn't matter that much if there's pitting in the blade of a rip saw.

If the other saw has a nasty kink in the blade, take it apart and save the saw nuts and keep the blade for scraper stock.

If it's just a bend, it depends on the severity, but you may be able to bring it back. crosscut saws with pitting though, present a problem once the teeth get to the pitting. If the teeth will never get there, it's basically cosmetic.

Dan Andrews
12-03-2010, 2:48 PM
I have restored several saws. Based on my experience; Dito what David said.

Jim Koepke
12-03-2010, 3:17 PM
Another vote for what David said.

I have also used a piece of saw blade to make a marking knife.

My planes are to also use some of my old saw blades to make a stair saw.

jtk