PDA

View Full Version : Power Sanding..whoohooo!

Ken Hill
12-03-2010, 12:42 PM
I have ordered everything in that I need to start power sanding, and the only two things ordered that have arrived were the Beall Buffing set up and new sandpaper from Kilingspor. Vinces stuff hasnt arrived, nor has the drill from HF, even though it was all ordered the same day....oh well it will come.

My back is still killing me, I laid down at 8pm and did not get up until 10 am, still alot of pain but I was able to do some stretches today in the shower that helped. I stopped taking pain/muscle relaxers yesterday (making my stomsch upset) and I think that led to me sleeping so much.

So this morning my wife siad I couldnt stand at the lathe I needed to walk or move. Well she is at work but I was doing some serious dancing at the lathe to keep limber LOL! I still cant bend to see what I would like while working and I was desperate to try and powersand, so I yanked teh sanding head fom my Sorby and broke out a drill. Man what a difference! I was able to almost effortly sand out a white oak NE in no time! Thanks to teh posts here and those taht made recommendations because the sanding part was driving me away from wanting to do a ton of bowls! I will post up a picture in a bit when the first coat of oil dries. I cant wait to get better pads in here to go at it again!

Dan Hintz
12-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Time to put a mirror under the lathe?

Ken Hill
12-03-2010, 1:02 PM
Time for my back to heal up aleady:mad: I havent been in the woods since last saturday, Bear season starts Monday....I have hunted with casts on my arms, legs, stiches in my mouth, sick as a dog, you name it, but I cant do anything when my back is out:(

Steve Schlumpf
12-03-2010, 4:02 PM
Ken - hope all your supplies arrive soon! If you like the results you got without all the right equipment - just wait - you're gonna love it compared to hand sanding! Be warned though - it can really kick up the fine dust! So be sure to take precautions so you don't breathe that stuff!

Michael E. Thompson
12-03-2010, 4:10 PM
Power sanding IS so much better. Takes me 15 mins to sand a small bowl now, before it was an hour or more and still looked like crap.

I'm with ya on the back problem - so debilitating. Especially when ya just gotta get in the woods. I wish there were bear in my area, I think they would be fun to hunt. Even better I wish the deer would pay a visit. (Tough season here) Nice deer in your avatar.

Mike

Ken Hill
12-03-2010, 5:30 PM
Thanks, yeah the dust has to be watched for sure. I have a DC drop right at the lathe so a mask may be needed if its more then it can handle

Micheal, ive seen some big bucks in IN!!! The one in my avatar is the 9 pointer I took here at my place last week

Allen stagg
12-03-2010, 8:29 PM
Talking about power sanding and not wanting to hijack thread, but, Not sure if any of you all here have used these or seen them, but I bought a few sanding mops last year and made a small video to demonstrate how they work. They work great for turnings, flatwork and moldings. They come in multiple grit papers and must say, they work great on the lathe. Goes well with the Beall Buff system. See link if desired http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-l_IOJdY1c&feature=channel They seem to last a pretty good while. Woodcraft sells them as well as other wood stores.

Ken Hill
12-03-2010, 8:44 PM
That would probably be the hot ticket for irregularly shaped pieces!

Alan Tolchinsky
12-03-2010, 11:32 PM
Not too sure about the "sanding mop". I think I like the piece to be spinning and the sand paper stationary which is the opposite here. That's unless the sandpaper is spinning in a drill.

brian watts
12-04-2010, 1:08 AM
Time for my back to heal up aleady:mad: I havent been in the woods since last saturday, Bear season starts Monday....I have hunted with casts on my arms, legs, stiches in my mouth, sick as a dog, you name it, but I cant do anything when my back is out:(

ant that the truth. i understand what you are feeling about now..my back can go out when i try to put my shoes on. i have to think before i do anything now..

George Guadiane
12-04-2010, 5:13 AM
I hate to tell on myself, on the one hand, but do it because, as a hard head, I think my experience/discovery will help others down the road:
I had lots of sheet sandpaper, used it like toilet paper but still didn't get the finish I wanted. Others, people that I respect had told me that power sanding was the answer yet I resisted.
I finally broke down at an AAW Totally Turning symposium and bought a starter kit. I brought it home along with the other trophies of a mighty hunter and put them down somewhere and went right back to the "regular" way of doing things.
Six months or so later, the bag came back up to the top of a pile so I took out the power sanding stuff and gave it a run...

I SPENT SIX MONTHS struggling against my best interests while the easiest way to improve my finishes sat in a bag... Man did I feel dumb.
To everyone who doesn't already power sand, find a friend who does and ask if they will let you sand a piece of their work. That should be all it takes.

I now have every - EVERY grit available in the blue disks that Vince sells. I use all of them. Mostly 80 and 120 grit, the rest of them, up to 2000 don't wear out very quickly, because the coarser grits, properly used make the work for the refining grits so easy.

Power sanding for everything and my Monster articulated arm for hollowing on my Mustard Monster are the best innovations overall to my turning so far.

I understand that truly smart people learn from the mistakes of others. waiting to power sand was a BIG mistake.

David Reed
12-04-2010, 12:13 PM
My angle drill arrived two days ago and after a little counseling from Vince, yesterday I received a box filled with cool round pads, discs and other gritty stuff . Can't wait to try them out.

Mike Willeson
12-04-2010, 9:32 PM
To everyone who doesn't already power sand, find a friend who does and ask if they will let you sand a piece of their work. That should be all it takes.

I agree with George 100%!

I just got a starter kit from Vince and was truly amazed the first time I used it. I have never had a bowl anywhere near that smooth and free of tool or sanding marks.

Money well spent!

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Ken you are going to love power sanding. Sure does make sanding easier.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-04-2010, 11:10 PM
When you first start out it's easy to not want to spend that little bit extra money for what appears to be accessories.

Power sanding makes the sanding easier. A buffing system like the Beal buffing system can make your finished product look beautiful.

I sure did't want to spend that extra money but I'm glad I did.