PDA

View Full Version : Bathtub help

Kyle Iwamoto
12-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Okay, I need some help. My bathtub is cracking. Cheapo 60" tub. I tried searching and found nothing that answers my question.

Here's the question. Since the tub is longer corner to corner than 60", and my entire bathroom is 60" wide, can the tub be dropped right back in between the studs? Without breaking the wall. I'd hate to spend 800 bucks then have to call a plumber to get my stuck bathtub in, or back out. All I can find is DIY sites that say it drops right in. Am I over thinking this? Is the 3-3/4" stud depth enough room to allow the tub to fit?

TIA

David Helm
12-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Typically the tubs are installed then the framing is finished. You may very well not be able to get the tub out without opening the wall.

William Burgess
12-03-2010, 11:32 AM
You can get some patch up with some fiber glass stuff to cover the cracks, thats a temporary fix. I replaced a tub in my house last christmas. Essentially your right, you rip out your old one and drop in the new one between the studs. If you have a one peice tub / shower that will have to be replaced with a 2-4 peice tub shower. Tubs are installed before they finished framing because they install 1 peice tub/showers, you will have to go with a multi-peice tub shower. Consider if you want to replace the faucet/pipes as well. This is a big endeavor, you will also need to do some drywall work (and texturing if needed) to patch everything up afterwards.