PDA

View Full Version : Oneida Dust Deputy

Mike Rushing
12-03-2010, 10:52 AM
If this is in the wrong forum please fill free to move it.
I would like your input on the Oneida’s Dust Deputy for use with my lathe. Would this be a good buy or is there something else I should be looking at. Space is a factor and will only be used for the lathe and drill press. If you have used this how long can you go without emptying the 5-gallon bucket?

Larry Marley
12-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Mike,
I am guessing you are thinking about buying one. I would try using your shop vac without the dust deputy to see if it catches enough to be worth while. I use a dust collector to capture sanding dust, but for the shavings, I use every level surface in my shop.
I hung a cheap roll up blind behind me and If I remember to lower it, the flying shavings stop there instead of covering everything.

Bill Bolen
12-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Mike, I got one of these about a year ago and it works as well or better than advertised. I've not emptied the vac or more importantly had to clean the filter since installation. It does not do well with the long curlies though. A broom and shovel works best for those. I will be getting another for dedicated use with the bandsaw...Bill...

Reed Gray
12-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Oneida is like Robust/Oneway/Thompson tools. Top of the line. I have the 3 hp system, but the footprint of their systems is as small as you can get. Shop vacs are just that, a vacuum cleaner. Dust collectors are made for removing dust and small chips. Not so good for long curlies though. Tends to fill up the can too quickly. Shovel and bag/can work better for bulk.

robo hippy

Thomas Canfield
12-03-2010, 8:31 PM
Mike,

The 5 gallon bucket holds an amazing amount of wood dust and chips and then you are not plugging the filter at the same time. The cyclone works great.

I bought the Dust Deputy package with the 2 buckets and hose from Rockler. I found that I had to stiffen the lid of the bucket, and the hose connected to the outlet of the cyclone required extra height and tended to tip the bucket. Oneida does sell an elbow for the higher priced system that I later bought direct (bought 4 since shipping was more than single price) from Oneida and used some 2" hose on hand. A friend recently bought only the cyclone and he had an old 10 gal or so bottom of a shop vac. I made him a lid (15" diam) out of scrap particle board by cutting a grove (he may add some non hardening calk to help seal) to fit the bucket, and sold him a elbow and piece of hose.

Randy Gazda
11-14-2011, 7:43 PM
I don't see the dust deputy in the Rockler catalog or on line, does anyone know if they still sell them? They have free shipping right now and I would like to order one.

Thanks

Nate Davey
11-14-2011, 7:51 PM
Love mine. As far as how often do you have to empty, that depends on how much you turn. It will compact shavings a little, but if your doing a big bowl, plan on sweeping up the big piles. It just goes faster.

Harry Robinette
11-14-2011, 8:04 PM
I've had mine for about a year and love it. I only use mine for clean-up cause I have a 1200 CFM Delta picking up the lathe.
The major thing that helps the system is because of the fine particle pick-up so the filter stays clean and the vac keeps the same high volume draw all the time like it has a new filter always.

Steve Harder
11-14-2011, 8:31 PM
Google "thien cyclone" to read about a very effective add-on baffle for the dust deputy style collectors.

Kevin Stanbary
11-15-2011, 11:31 AM
I got the DD without the bucket and mounted it on a 16 gal steel keg with a clamp ring on the lid which makes it pretty much the same footprint as the bucket. Thought I had a pic of it somewhere in the cloud, but I guess I don't. I just use mine for cleanup - not enough power in the the shop to run the shop vac with anything else at the same time, but it's fantastic at keeping the dust out of the filter.