PDA

View Full Version : Any "MUST SEEs" or "MUST DOs" in Louisville, KY?

Charles Wiggins
12-03-2010, 9:58 AM
LOML and I are heading to Louisville for work stuff this weekend. We won't have a lot of free time, but does anyone know of any cool things not to miss in the downtown area? WW related is not required, but always a plus!

Thanks,
Charles

Kent A Bathurst
12-03-2010, 10:27 AM
I've been to Louisville many times - sister lives there, and she has annual tickets to the Derby.

If I was going, I'd do 3 things:
1) breakfast at Lynn's Paradise Cafe. You won't believe the restaurant or the food.
2) A drink at the Brown Hotel. Classic/legendary hotel downtown. A mint julep might be a bit of a cliche, but they're good
3) I'd swing by Churchill Downs to see if the horse I bet on at the last Derby has finished yet.

The Louisville Slugger Museum is supposed to be pretty neat - haven't been there though.

In the surrounding countryside, there are a number of the world-class horse breeding operations that are open to the public, if that was of interest to you. You would be jealous of the stables the big-bucks stallions get to live in.

Dave Ogren
12-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Second to Kents suggestions. The Louisville Slugger Factory and museum is neat. Right by the Slugger is a Glass blowing factory full of artisans. There is an old military Museum down town. Don't forget about Fort Knox. The very best is "Thunder over Louisville" but that is two weeks before the Derby, in the spring. I drove 400 miles to see it and am going again next year.

Enjoy Louisville is a neat City.

Dave

Charles Wiggins
12-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the ideas. Don't think we'll have enough free time to make it out to the Downs, but we're within walking distance of the Slugger Museum and the IMAX. I'm going to see if I can talk LOML into going down to Lynn's for breakfast but that may be a challenge with a high of 35 for tomorrow.

Norman Hitt
12-04-2010, 12:42 AM
There was a really large "Tool" store at the east edge of the downtown area when I was there with the LOML at the Nat'l VICA Convention, 20 yrs ago, and I'll bet it is still there. They had all the major brands of large and small tools on display. We walked there easily from the convention center. Sorry I can't remember the name of it, but i'm sure most any local can tell you. It was on the south side of a main east/west street that ran a block or so from the river. The store fronted toward its large parking lot on the west side of the store.

That was the store I went to with the intention of buying a Unisaw, but they had a PM-66 sitting next to it, and I fell in love with it instead. By the time I had drooled and slobbered over both saws, the LOML said I could come back the next day and buy it, but we had an Official Dinner to attend and were going to be late. "That" timing saved me SEVERAL hundred dollars, as the next day, Powermatic offered ALL the Powermatic TOOLS they had provided for the 2 1/2 days of contests, to schools, teachers and anyone officially connected to the VICA convention for about 40% off list. I even had my choice of fences, (so I chose the 52" Biese Commercial, & it arrived NEW in the box). I'll never forget that store though, (just its name), :o but I did go back and buy about $300 of smaller tools etc from them, before we flew home. :)

DO NOT........ fail to eat some DERBY PIE, while you're there, (and a couple of slices for me too), if you would be so kind.:D

Kent A Bathurst
12-04-2010, 8:54 AM
.......Don't think we'll have enough free time to make it out to the Downs..........

That's OK - I'm sure my same horse will still be running when you get back next time. :D

Also - Lynn's sells excellent bloody marys to slurp while you are waiting. Won't feel like 35* for very long.

Rick Huelsbeck
12-04-2010, 9:28 AM
Thats the name of the store, it's on Jefferson Street and it's a great place to go. If you are in the Convention center go out the Jefferson Street side and turn left, it's about 8 or 9 blocks. It's only open from 8 AM to 2 PM today. The snow may be a bit of factor today as well.

Absolutly get to the Slugger Museum, don't forget to get you personalized Bat while your there, they are really cool gifts for folks as well.

The Science Museum and Fraziers Arms museum are really good too. There is a Subway there if you want a light lunch with some good service. I go there often as I work downtown. (The tall black building with PNC on the top)

There was a really large "Tool" store at the east edge of the downtown area when I was there with the LOML at the Nat'l VICA Convention, 20 yrs ago, and I'll bet it is still there. They had all the major brands of large and small tools on display. We walked there easily from the convention center. Sorry I can't remember the name of it, but i'm sure most any local can tell you. It was on the south side of a main east/west street that ran a block or so from the river. The store fronted toward its large parking lot on the west side of the store.

That was the store I went to with the intention of buying a Unisaw, but they had a PM-66 sitting next to it, and I fell in love with it instead. By the time I had drooled and slobbered over both saws, the LOML said I could come back the next day and buy it, but we had an Official Dinner to attend and were going to be late. "That" timing saved me SEVERAL hundred dollars, as the next day, Powermatic offered ALL the Powermatic TOOLS they had provided for the 2 1/2 days of contests, to schools, teachers and anyone officially connected to the VICA convention for about 40% off list. I even had my choice of fences, (so I chose the 52" Biese Commercial, & it arrived NEW in the box). I'll never forget that store though, (just its name), :o but I did go back and buy about $300 of smaller tools etc from them, before we flew home. :)

DO NOT........ fail to eat some DERBY PIE, while you're there, (and a couple of slices for me too), if you would be so kind.:D

Charles Wiggins
12-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Kent,

Thanks so much for the tip on Lynn's. That's the most I've EVER spent on breakfast and it was worth every penny! After we ate we drove through the neighborhood looking as the historic architecture. With the snow it felt like we were right in the middle of A Christmas Story on Cleveland St.

Have you ever been to The Dizzy Whizz? I think that will be our next local adventure.

Charles Wiggins
12-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Thats the name of the store, it's on Jefferson Street and it's a great place to go. If you are in the Convention center go out the Jefferson Street side and turn left, it's about 8 or 9 blocks. It's only open from 8 AM to 2 PM today. The snow may be a bit of factor today as well.

Absolutly get to the Slugger Museum, don't forget to get you personalized Bat while your there, they are really cool gifts for folks as well.

The Science Museum and Fraziers Arms museum are really good too. There is a Subway there if you want a light lunch with some good service. I go there often as I work downtown. (The tall black building with PNC on the top)

Norman and Rick,

Thanks for the tip on the Bargain Supply. I'll have to see if I can get down there.