PDA

View Full Version : Invasion of the Mustard Monster...

Rick Markham
12-03-2010, 8:07 AM
Hey y'all thanks for all your advice and help (I still need some more ASAP) but first I would like to introduce you to my baby... (the LOML got a little jealous last night when she caught me hugging her)

It arrived yesterday, and a good buddy and I put it together, I had no time to take pictures and post them last night though, I had to buy the man a few beers for his trouble (I don't drink anymore so he got my share too)

Now for the question, I am going to run out to Woodcraft today and pick up a chuck (a nova) Which size is the most versatile, what jaws should I get? Thanks for the help!

My Thompson tools show up (probably tomorrow) so I will leave that for a future gloat :D

and as promised my ugly mug in the pic too!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/112.jpg

Christopher K. Hartley
12-03-2010, 8:13 AM
Congrats Rick on that Beautiful Yellow Iron. I see lots of curlies in your future. :)

David E Keller
12-03-2010, 8:17 AM
Congrats to the happy couple on their wedding day! The honeymoon is over... Go make some curlies!

John Shuk
12-03-2010, 8:21 AM
What a great machine. Put it to good use and enjoy!

charlie knighton
12-03-2010, 8:26 AM
congratulations

Alan Trout
12-03-2010, 8:28 AM
Congratulations. No go spend some more money on all the other stuff you need.:D

Alan

Doug W Swanson
12-03-2010, 8:29 AM
I'm jealous!

Now get to work and turn something!

James Combs
12-03-2010, 8:30 AM
Now for the question, I am going to run out to Woodcraft today and pick up a chuck (a nova) Which size is the most versatile, what jaws should I get? Thanks for the help!

My Thompson tools show up (probably tomorrow) so I will leave that for a future gloat :D

and as promised my ugly mug in the pic too!

Great Gloat and now you need to make curls.

If it were me I would get one of the Super Nova II's and then a couple of the slightly smaller Nova G3's All but one or two sets of jaws are interchangeable between the two chucks. Use the Nova II for your largest turnings and have the G3's setup with a set of pin jaws and maybe a set of Cole jaws.

Steve Schlumpf
12-03-2010, 8:41 AM
The photo says it all! Congrats on your new lathe! Looking forward to hearing how you like turning on it!

No idea on Nova chucks - never used one. I have a Talon with the $1, #2, #3 and mini-jumbo jaws and find that I use the #2 jaws for 90% of my turnings. Good luck finding a chuck that works for you!

John Keeton
12-03-2010, 8:44 AM
Rick, congrats, and one sure can tell you are pleased by that big wide grin on your face!!!:D

Just remember, though, on those cold winter nights, that Monster won't keep you near as warm as the lady will!;)

The Nova chucks come with the 50mm jaws, and those will do a lot. Get a couple sets of the soft jaws, too - about $18/set at Woodcraft.

Then, for some of the smaller stuff, I like the 20mm pin jaws. I wouldn't go wild on jaws until I settled into some idea of what you want to turn. The 50mm jaws were all I had until just recently. I would rather have multiple chucks vs. a lot of jaws.

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-03-2010, 8:53 AM
Rick,
Congrats on the new lathe. You're gonna love it. I have a talon chuck with three or four sets of jaws. It gives me lots of flexibility. But I was on the Woodturning Center site (a museum and turning school in Philadelphia). They are offering a chuck from Penn State Industries called a Barracuda 4 that is a large chuck that comes with three or four sets of jaws for well under 2 bills. It was reviewed by several professional turners who all gave it good reviews.
faust

allen thunem
12-03-2010, 8:54 AM
i have one of those ugly yellow things. nice machine
tried turning a 20 incher yesterday
got the outside roughed out and now am reversing it to do the inside
which leads me to advise on what chuck to buy
THE BIGGEST AND BADDEST YOU CAN AFfoRD. vicmarc 140 or oneway
you will wish you had it when you go to tackle something that big
you can get jaw set sup to 6 inches for thsoe two chucks
as well as smaller ones too
just my opinion

Rob Cunningham
12-03-2010, 9:02 AM
Congratulations. It's a great looking lathe.

Jim Burr
12-03-2010, 9:02 AM
Sweet! :D:D

Robert McGowen
12-03-2010, 9:06 AM
I hope that this is the last photo we see with it that clean!

Tim Rinehart
12-03-2010, 9:54 AM
Ahhh, the smell of fresh mustard on a cool day...what could be better!
Well, chips of course...everyone knows chips and mustard just go together!!

Have fun and enjoy, I'm sure you will. :D

Bernie Weishapl
12-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Congrats on a fine lathe and I guess that smile tells it all. Now it's time to make the chips fly.

Allen stagg
12-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Just wondering, did you get a bed extension with your lathe. I don't see it installed yet? I bought mine in early 2009 and it came with the extension. Added about 18" I believe. I bought mine through Amazon as they had the same price as most everyone else and included free shipping with no taxes.

As for as chucks, I have the Nova and use the stock one and the Super Powergrip jaws but rarely use them for hollow vessels. I use a Oneway 6" faceplate. I know the faceplate has maximum support where I have lost a piece years ago using a jawed chuck. Mostly on wet wood though.

Alan Trout
12-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Rick,

I would get the SN2 and start with the jaws it comes with. If you need to get a big set of jaws get the Power grips. I use those for large bowls and deep vases. They can be used as a conventional dovetail jaw or you can use them for spigot jaws for bigger heavier items.

Good Luck

Alan

bob svoboda
12-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Congratulations and welcome to the Mustard Club. I have 3 SN2 chucks and several jaw sets. I started with one chuck and 50mm jaws and did a lot with that. As new projects came along I got more jaws and then more chucks because I got too lazy to be constantly changing them :D Now go enjoy and make some curlies to dress that thing up!

Larry Marley
12-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Congratulations Rick,
Like John said, the the standard jaws on the super Nova are pretty versitile. These are my default jaws. I have four sets of jaws, the ones I use the most are the included set, and the small 10mm (i think).
If you are going to turn large pieces, you will want to get some appropriate jaws for that. I am not much help there, my larger pieces are segmented and use a glue block and faceplate.

Larry

Reed Gray
12-03-2010, 12:14 PM
What???? Only one chuck? I prefer the Vicmark, which Woodcraft does not carry. However, having a large one for bigger projects, and a smaller one for the little things really helps.

robo hippy

gary Zimmel
12-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Welcome to the Mustard Club Rick.
Time to make a few chips fly, she looks a little to clean...
Congrats again.

tom martin
12-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Congratulations! Don't forget to back out the set screw on your faceplate before you remove it! (I know someone who did):(

Richard Madden
12-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Rick,

I would get the SN2 and start with the jaws it comes with. If you need to get a big set of jaws get the Power grips. I use those for large bowls and deep vases. They can be used as a conventional dovetail jaw or you can use them for spigot jaws for bigger heavier items.

Good Luck

Alan
I would agree with Alan

Ken Hill
12-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Congrats!!

Thom Sturgill
12-03-2010, 1:18 PM
I'm jealous. turned on one at a weekend class - sweet machine!

Pat Zabrocki
12-03-2010, 1:36 PM
I have that same lathe and coincidently, the same big ole smile every time I use it. I have the supernova II and I think it is excellent. I'm considering a G3 or two as someone else commented. ENJOY!!
cheers
pat

Bill Bulloch
12-03-2010, 2:04 PM
Look at you; your face shows it all -- Proud as Punch. Congratulations.

As for the chuck, You can't go wrong with the Super Nova 2 with a #2 jaw. Ofcourse, with that big yellow machine you will probably want to get two Super Nova 2s, and add a #3 Jaw for the big stuff I know you will be turning.

Bill Bolen
12-03-2010, 2:10 PM
Whoooo Hooooo!! Great choice. Enjoy every second of the turning time I'm sure will get greater now. Congrats...Bill...

Tim Thiebaut
12-03-2010, 2:55 PM
Hey congrats on the new toy...uh I mean tool, you certainly look happy, hope you get to enjoy it for years to come.

Mike Zipparo
12-03-2010, 3:28 PM
i have one of those ugly yellow things. nice machine
tried turning a 20 incher yesterday
got the outside roughed out and now am reversing it to do the inside
which leads me to advise on what chuck to buy
THE BIGGEST AND BADDEST YOU CAN AFfoRD. vicmarc 140 or oneway
you will wish you had it when you go to tackle something that big
you can get jaw set sup to 6 inches for thsoe two chucks
as well as smaller ones too
just my opinion

I agree with Allen that the Vicmarc chucks are great. I have a VM120 on my lathe and use the 5" jaws for larger bowls. You can get even bigger jaw sets for these chucks, up to 9 inch according to Craft Suppies:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Chucks___Vicmarc___Vicmarc_Mega_Dovetail_Jaw___vic marc_mega_dovetail?Args=

Ray Bell
12-03-2010, 3:52 PM
Wonderful lathe, you will enjoy this for years to come.

I have the Stronghold chuck, and until just recently used only the #2 jaws that came with it, but needed the #3's for a project a month ago. I have used these a couple of times now since purchase.

Baxter Smith
12-03-2010, 3:54 PM
Nice lathe. Enjoy. As others have said, the SN2 and number 2 jaws it comes with at Woodcraft will do a lot to start. Enjoy!

Rick Markham
12-03-2010, 7:16 PM
Thanks fellas, Unfortunately I didn't make it to Woodcraft today so no chuck yet, but I will be going there in the morning hopefully (Its an hour and half drive from my house.) I am going to start out with a SN2 and we will go from there, There will be more chucks to come in the near future, I just need one to get me started. I will definitely be making some curlies as quickly as possible, hopefully the turning tools will arrive tomorrow as well.

I know, it is far too clean! I promise I will try and dirty it up a bit for ya next time!

No, bed extension on this one yet, I will be saving that one for later. Hopefully one day for Outboard turning.

I put the bulk of my budget into getting the biggest lathe I possibly could afford/justify so I will have to "earn" some extra's like extra chucks and specialty tools later. I'm hoping to be able to squeeze the monster articulated system in there, (It's looking promising.) I am blessed that my time is not as valuable as some folks, so changing jaws etc. is all part of the "learning" experience for me. That stuff will work its way out in the end anyway, the BIG Turner upstairs always sees fit to that, in my experience... he's gotten me this far ;)

Allen stagg
12-03-2010, 8:15 PM
Yes, I looked them up and no extensions bonus any more. I bought mine in 2009 and they had a special going with free extension. The extensions are not cheap either. Not sure I would have bought one myself otherwise.

Scott Hackler
12-03-2010, 8:27 PM
Rick, if you get the SN2, make sure you dont leave the store without the insert for your lathe. I made this mistake when I ordered mine (I didnt know) and had to wait another few days to have it mailed to me!

Rick Markham
12-03-2010, 8:29 PM
Scott, yes, I noticed that. Thanks for the heads up though... that would be something that I would do. Speaking of which, I better make sure they have the insert in stock before I drive all the way over there :rolleyes:

Paul McGaha
12-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Congratulations Rick. And thats a great picture.

George Guadiane
12-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Congratulations on an EXCELLENT choice for a turning "mate."
May she ever bring you joy!

Gary Herrmann
12-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Congrats, Rick. It's a great lathe. If you haven't already, you may want to start thinking about tool storage.

Oops, that will involve FLAT work!!

Terry Gerros
12-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Rick,

Check out the Hartville tool Holiday 2010 catalog. The Oneway Stronghold chuck on sale for $260.00 which includes 4 DVD's. Also the Oneway Live center is on sale for 89.97.

Congrats on the new lathe. I have the same one and you are going to love it.

Terry

Roland Martin
12-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Congratulations Rick, that is one sweet lathe and the choice of the SN2 is a good one. Have fun & send us some pics of the dirty mustard and turnings :)

Mark Hubl
12-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Rick,

Congrats! Those things look sweet. While your out get some hot dogs too. Nothin' goes better with hot dogs than Mustard!

I find my self using the standard 50, my mini step and pin jaws the most.

Have fun.

Harvey Ghesser
12-04-2010, 2:29 PM
Congratulations, Rick! No turning back now!:D:D

Rick Markham
12-04-2010, 2:49 PM
Thanks Paul!

Rick Markham
12-04-2010, 2:52 PM
Gary don't use the FLAT word... Ha! Yeah, it's ok, I have some plans for that, that is definitely on the agenda. I don't know where I am going to find the time once I start turning, I might have to cover her up so she doesn't see me using my "other tools" LOL

Rick Markham
12-04-2010, 2:59 PM
Terry thanks for the heads up! I had a hard time deciding between the Oneway and Nova chucks, I opted for the SN2, and ordered it (didn't feel like driving an hour and a half both ways) It's a start and there will be future Nova chucks. Having read all the great things said about both companies, I had to go with the "cheaper" option, though 4 videos would have been nice.

Thanks Mark! I will start out with the standard 50, get a set of strongholds, and the pin set next, I'm sure the step jaws will be on the list too ;)

Roland, as soon as my finals are over, I will definitely be posting some pics for y'all. That way you can tell me what I am doing wrong... I'm anxious to make my "bonker"!

Rick Markham
12-04-2010, 3:01 PM
I know Harvey! I've done it now... and I LOVE IT!!!

Beautiful GSD Havey, reminds me of my Belgian Malinois Dempsey!

David E Keller
12-05-2010, 1:17 AM
I kept reading this post, but I kept feeling like there was something missing...

Oh, yeah, it's the link to this post: www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=140514 with special attention to the third paragraph of post #40.

A little over 6 months... Just a friendly warning to all those lurkers who are contemplating 'a little turning'.:D

Rick Markham
12-05-2010, 3:21 AM
haha, and I had been saving money for over 6 months at that point David! :D I remember those days fondly... when I had money! haha!

Doug W Swanson
12-05-2010, 9:26 AM
Rick,

See you are just starting at the top. I'm working my way up and someday I will get 'there'....

I started with a Ridgid, then a Jet Mini and now I have a Jet 1236. I showed my wife your post and she told me to start saving my change!

Allen stagg
12-05-2010, 9:26 AM
Congrats Rick, I remember when mine was delivered and my wife found out she lost her garage. In fact, I got a picture of the event when she realized that her garage just wasn't big enough for her car and my tools. Actually she knew it before I got it but pretended for a photo shot. She did love putting her car in the garage, but at least we do have a large carport that she has learned to adapt to. She was actually almost as excited as I was when it arrived, but misses her garage also. Don't worry, you will not be able to save any money in the future due to all the money you will be spending on more things as you go.

Nate Davey
12-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Wow, she does not look happy.

Rick Markham
12-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Allen that's great! I don't have a garage (wish I did) I have a "Florida room" which is essentially an enclosed front porch that is heated/ air conditioned. It is L shaped, long and skinny, not really very usuable space for a living area, so that is where all my woodworking equipment and my bench is. It works well for me, (thanks to the shape) even though it is exceptionally tiny. I figured out the square footage, I can't remember off the top of my head but it is somewhere around 120 square feet. If you look in the picture you will notice the French doors into the kitchen, (I don't use them anyway) and the lathe sits in front of them now. Hopefully after graduating with a degree I can get a good job and move into a larger house :D One that I can set up a nice big shop in. In the meantime, I have to keep getting straight A's and make sure I'm the top of my class, so I'm the one that gets the job! ;)

Don Robert
12-05-2010, 11:50 AM
My wife didn't understand what I was getting until my Mustard Monster arrived. And it was going into my shop and not her garage space, so she didn't look as sad as Allen Stagg's wife. When I started disappearing into the shop for long periods of time, and especially after she saw the bill, she renamed it the "Dijon Demagog," which she felt it better deserved.

Rick, whatever you call it, you're going to love it. But, bear in mind, it's like a computer, "whatever you buy, you have to buy something else to make it work."

Rick Markham
12-05-2010, 7:16 PM
Don, I like that! Oh yes, I am well aware of how much more it requires to use it... sure is pretty sitting there just patiently waiting to devour my life savings :eek:

Mike Cruz
12-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Rick, I'm too new at this to start advising on chucks and jaws. Just wanted to say congrats and enjoy...what a sec...I have to wipe the drool from my chin.