PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you turned this wood?

Richard Madden
12-02-2010, 9:55 PM
Hormigo Negro???:eek: It's a new one to me. I bought a 3x3x12 blank at woodcraft a few months ago, and I'm trying to make a spiral finial from it. I would be curious how it rates on the Janka hardness scale, but I can't find out much about it.

Steve Vaughan
12-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Just googled it. On one woodworking site a guy posted that it was granadillo. Someone responded to that post with - "It's awesome looking wood and it's real hard and very oily but use CA glue on it and it will come to life."

Hope that helps.

Roger Chandler
12-03-2010, 8:59 AM
Richard,

We have a guy in our local club [Charlie W.] that turns homigo-negro with regularity. He makes handles for screwdrivers, ice cream scoops, etc. It really polishes up well, and he likes it a lot. He has had several projects over the last few months with that wood.

I have never turned it, but he buys blanks almost every couple of months.

bob svoboda
12-03-2010, 10:58 AM
I turned a peppermill from HN. Really turned out nice. Not the easiest wood I ever turned, but takes a finish well.

Richard Madden
12-03-2010, 12:55 PM
You are right there, not the easiest. Keeping the tools sharp is a must. I tried to find the Janka hardness for this, but no luck. I'm curious how it compares to ebony or blackwood. I doubt it's that hard, but it seems close, and it does take a nice polish.

ray hampton
12-03-2010, 1:06 PM
how do the weight of wood compare to how hard the wood is ? can you find a wood weight chart ?

David DeCristoforo
12-03-2010, 1:44 PM
"...a guy posted that it was granadillo...

Granadillo is spanish for "Who the %$#% knows..."

Ryan Baker
12-03-2010, 9:52 PM
The Woodcraft here always has a bunch of it. It is very similar to Lignum Vitae.

Kenneth Hertzog
12-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Richard
If its granadillo I'm currently making a lidded (threaded) box
will post pictures if it makes it to life
turned very well with no problems
it has nice color and figuring in it
Ken

Glenn Vaughn
12-04-2010, 2:41 AM
Found this on one site listing janka hardness for many woods:

Hormigo {Platymiscium dimorphandrun} 1390