PDA

View Full Version : New Tool Gloat and....

Greg Bender
12-02-2010, 8:35 PM
I've been wanting to add to my hollowing capabilities so left work early and headed to the Toy Store.They just got the new Sorby Sovereign Ultima Hollowing system in and after pawing it for awhile I decided to try it out. I think it will work hand held and mounted in my homemade Elbo Tool Setup although I bored my Elbo for 3/4" boring bars and the Sorby setup is all 5/8" shafts.Will have to make a 3/4 to 5/8 bushing to use this weekend.Picked up the extra knuckle and shear scraper also.Ordered some 8,10 and 12 mm carbide cutters from Carbide Depot so I should not have any excuses to go deep.

Now,a question to anybody with a jet 16/42 and any kind of 3/4" boring bar.Using the stock tool rest I can't get my cutter on the centerline.It is alittle high with the tool rest all the way down.Are you guys using an after market tool rest when you use your elbo type hollowing system?
Thanx ,
Greg

Josh Bowman
12-02-2010, 8:45 PM
I have trouble with my stock rest. I got an extra one and had it modified, shortened and fixed where it would go lower. My favorites though are made by SMC member Jeff Nicol. Look forward to a report on the new tool.

charlie knighton
12-02-2010, 9:53 PM
Know,a question to anybody with a jet 16/42 and any kind of 3/4" boring bar.Using the stock tool rest I can't get my cutter on the centerline.It is alittle high with the tool rest all the way down.Are you guys using an after market tool rest when you use your elbo type hollowing system?
Thanx ,

yes, went to local machine shop, showed him my tool rest, told him it was too high, he made me one 1 inch square, the elbo tool works much better as soon as you get the new tool rest

Steve Schlumpf
12-02-2010, 9:56 PM
Greg - looking forward to seeing how you like the new cutters!

I use a Woodcraft S type modular rest for all my hollowing. Not that I like the rest for regular work at all but because of its shape - makes a great rest for my left arm!

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Congrats Greg. Looks like those will do the job.