PDA

View Full Version : Black Ash Burl HF

Dale Bright
12-02-2010, 5:23 PM
I thought I would post a pic of something since it has been so long. I have been turning quite a bit but never take the time to post pics.

I picked up a couple of Black Ash burls from a bargain bin at the Virginia Symposium and here is one of them. The other I cored into 2 bowls and will post them later.

The HF is 3.5" tall, 6.5" in diameter. 3/16" thickness and with an opening of 1".

I chose the short squatty form to show as much of Mother Nature's aristry as I could. As it turned out, I think the form looks as good sitting on it's top as it does on it's base.

The finish is: sanded to 400, a walnut oil wipe and a light buffing with tripoli.

Comments and critic are very welcome.

Dale

Christopher K. Hartley
12-02-2010, 5:28 PM
Dale, very nice color in this one. I'd like to see more so POST. Thanks for sharing.:)

charlie knighton
12-02-2010, 5:38 PM
Dale, i looked at the Black Ash burls also, i had never turned any black ash, could not make me pull the trigger and tought about it all the way home, thanks for sharing , i may take a harder look next time

very nicely done

David E Keller
12-02-2010, 7:53 PM
Beautiful burl. I like the squat shape... It looks a bit like the form has melted onto the surface which supports it.

John Keeton
12-02-2010, 9:58 PM
Dale, you certainly did get a bargain from the bin!! Very nice.

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Dale that is some pretty wood. I like the form of the piece.

David Reed
12-03-2010, 12:20 AM
I love the form but especially the wood. And you did such a stellar job with the finish. I often also choose short forms and often end up sacrificing form for the sake of exposing the otherwise hidden features in the wood, but you were able to accomplish both in this turning.
Fine work

Dale Bright
12-03-2010, 6:54 AM
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. I always try to make simple and hopefully pleasing shapes that reveal the true artistry and work that was done by Mother Nature, long before I even saw the wood. I try to achieve a finish that shows the natural look of the wood but one that is also has a tactile appeal so that it is a pleasure to hold and feel.

Jim Burr
12-03-2010, 9:10 AM
I'm not worthy! Beautiful chunk of wood!

bob svoboda
12-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Nice work on a beautiful piece of wood.