PDA

View Full Version : Thanks David Reed!! It must be Christmas already!

John Keeton
12-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Got a box in the mail today from Washington state, and look what David Reed sent me!!!:D:D:D One of my all time favorite woods - Big Leaf Maple Burl - and, a beautiful one at that. This thing has all kinds of potential - lot of inclusions, etc. Such character!

Apparently, David used a digital caliper to measure this thing - if it had been another 2mm wide or deep, it wouldn't have fit in that large flat rate box!

David, thanks so much, and sometime when you least expect it....I bet you get something in the mail!;)

Scott Hackler
12-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Yeah that looks a little too big for your usual dainty turnings. I suggest chopping it in half and sending me the other half! lol

Steve Schlumpf
12-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Yup - that's gonna be pretty!

Keep thinking there's a bigger lathe in your future - just so you can turn some of these bigger pieces!

Have fun John!

David E Keller
12-02-2010, 3:22 PM
Yeah that looks a little too big for your usual dainty turnings. I suggest chopping it in half and sending me the other half! lol

Why not quarter it and share the wealth?:D

It's lovely looking stuff!

Roger Chandler
12-02-2010, 3:26 PM
Yup - that's gonna be pretty!

Keep thinking there's a bigger lathe in your future - just so you can turn some of these bigger pieces!

Have fun John!

Yep! Its gonna happen one day! :D

Aaron Wingert
12-02-2010, 3:45 PM
Nice piece of wood John!

Perhaps David has got one of those saws that the USPS is selling to woodturners that yields pieces of wood perfectly cut to fit into flat rate boxes. :rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2010, 3:48 PM
Well John look like the claro walnut for pedestal's came in just in time. That is some pretty wood.

Jim Burr
12-02-2010, 3:53 PM
Quarters is good...and so is that chunk!!

Leo Van Der Loo
12-02-2010, 4:11 PM
John I have the distinct impression that you have been buying way too much wood from David Reed :rolleyes:, and you just got sucked in deeper again :p

Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy new year is our wish for you and all close and dear to you.

Have fun and do take care
Leo Van Der Loo

John Keeton
12-02-2010, 4:42 PM

Why not quarter it and share the wealth?:D

It's lovely looking stuff!Halves, quarters....it just keeps gettin' smaller!!:eek: I have some burls wider than this, but this one is easily the thickest I have. The possibilities are wide open on this one!

Nice piece of wood John!

Perhaps David has got one of those saws that the USPS is selling to woodturners that yields pieces of wood perfectly cut to fit into flat rate boxes. :rolleyes:I believe it, Aaron! I had trouble getting it out of the box without cutting the sides.

John I have the distinct impression that you have been buying way too much wood from David Reed :rolleyes:, and you just got sucked in deeper again :p

Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy new year is our wish for you and all close and dear to you.

Have fun and do take care
Leo Van Der LooThanks for the Christmas wishes, Leo, and I hope you have a great season as well. I do need to correct one thing, though. I have purchased a bunch of wood - most from Mike Smith. But, none from David as he doesn't sell wood. This was an outright gift! And, undeserved, I might add!:o

Christopher K. Hartley
12-02-2010, 5:41 PM
Very nice hunk of wood John. I know you'll do something fabulous with it. Looking forward to seeing it.:)

David Reed
12-03-2010, 12:11 AM
I am glad that the piece arrived safely. I was concerned that it's fragility (is that a word - must be Italian) would lead to disaster without proper packing. I just could not stand it any more - with the drool running from your avatar down my screen any time I saw a BLM posting.
It should have plenty of figure as it was immediately adjacent in the log to the piece I cut for my "waterfall" / "Texas hole" bowl I recently finished. I am also finishing up a platter and have some offcuts made while coaxing this into the box which have 'tree ornaments' written all over them.
I am quite certain that you will expose all the distinction and excellence it deserves.
Happy turning
David

p.s. Stihl does offer the USPS cutting attachment (aka chain)

p.p.s. No need for reciprocity

charlie knighton
12-03-2010, 3:01 AM
nice collabration, looking forward to the what will be revealed

brian watts
12-03-2010, 6:14 AM
very nice piece of wood there. i need a friend like that..

Jeff Nicol
12-03-2010, 8:25 AM
John, Since I am cheap and don't like to buy wood that I can get for a barter or free, I have been wanting a bunch of big leaf maple as I love the grain that it has in it! Some day i may get a fairy Godmother/Father to send me a truck load!!

Great wood and have fun with it,

Jeff