PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for adhering two aluminum plates

Randy Digby
12-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Here is the task: Adhere two aluminum plates together, back-to-back, approx. 12" x 16" with each plate being .032" thick. I had one supplier suggest 3M Super 99 spray adhesive but I've not been able to find it. He claims it works really well but was a little messy. He suggested finding a strong double-sided awards tape. We have never done awards so I don't have any history there.

The bond I'm looking for needs to be tough and weather resistant. The bonded boards will be subject to weather exposure from time to time, but not mounted permanently outside. I'm sure a tape would be easier to work with than a spray.

What bonding material would you recommend?

Martin Boekers
12-02-2010, 10:40 AM
I've use Gold - Line premium tape from JDS.

That should be fine, I have used it for address signs that have been outdoors for over 4yrs.

Being aluminum and smooth surfaces this should be fine.

Marty

AL Ursich
12-02-2010, 11:45 AM
This guide helps....

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Super-77/Super77/SprayAdhesive/Product-Information/

AL

Dave Gates
12-02-2010, 12:47 PM
The Gold line tape works pretty good. We use Innotec's tape mostly.

What about epoxy? that stuff seems to last forever

Mike Null
12-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Contact 3M. They will advise you and probably give you a sample large enough to do the job.

Larry Bratton
12-02-2010, 5:54 PM
Contact 3M. They will advise you and probably give you a sample large enough to do the job.
Their VHB (very high bond) tape(s) will stick almost anything. Call them and see what the recommend and see if they will send you some for free.

Tony Lenkic
12-02-2010, 9:14 PM
In addition to 3M spray adhesive you can purchase 3M 468MP in 24X36" sheets. Peel and stick.
Don't know your project but would Dibond type of aluminum work here?

Ron Chapellaz
12-03-2010, 12:04 AM
Randy,
Tesa tape (the gold colored roll) is a very super adhesive tape to use. I've been using it for over 20 years to mount plaques and trophy plates and will not use any other. I've even used it to stick down a door moulding that was coming off my car!

Randy Digby
12-03-2010, 8:55 AM
Great replies..thanks to all. I ordered some Gold tape from JDS for my first test. Good suggestion to contact 3M for samples - both tape and spray adhesive, I'll do that today. Never heard of Dibond but looks like good stuff..I will be printing by sublimation so I'll have to use other stock, but will keep those guys bookmarked for future.
Thanks for your help.