PDA

View Full Version : hollow form videos

jared herbert
12-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Hello My wife has asked me for suggestions about what Imight like for Christmas. A couple of years ago, a bought a set of hollowing tools from Don Pencil but have never gotten it together to teach my self how to use them. I really would like to learn though. Any suggestions about videos, using that system[hand held, not captive] that would help me teach myself to make hollow forms? Thanks in advance. Jared

Mark Hubl
12-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Ellsworth, Mahohey or Jordan would be good for hollow forms. I have not seen David's hollow form video's, but his gouge vid is very good. Mike usually has one hollow form on his videos. The one I have of John is an older one but it is pretty good.

If you have a hankering for doing hollow forms I would also recommend David Ellsworth's book.

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2010, 10:35 AM
As Mark said here are some good HF DVD's. I have the first two and have watched them several times. Mike Mahoney has a excellent DVD called Hollow Forms and Urns. David Ellsworth has a good one called Ellsworth Hollowing Turning 2 DVD set. Hollow Turning by John Jordon DVD is also a good one.

Jim Burr
12-02-2010, 10:55 AM
I have Mahoney's DVD, and although the equipment side is a bit dated...he says that articulated lasers are tantamount to cheating...the technique is great! I refer to it frequently.

Ryan Baker
12-02-2010, 10:19 PM
The Mahoney Hollow Forms and Urns video is probably the best I have seen (get his Heirlooms dvd too), but the others mentioned (Jordan and Ellesworth) are good too. There are lots of videos out there, each somewhat specializing on different techniques, tools, and methods. The mentioned videos all focus on hand-held hollowing techniques. There are videos related to captured systems too.

Richard Madden
12-02-2010, 10:32 PM
I have Mahoney's Hollow Form and Urns dvd and would recommend it. That is the only one I have seen, so I can't comment on the others.

Dale Bright
12-03-2010, 6:45 AM
I have seen all of the videos mentioned thus far and if you are interested in hollowing with handheld tools, I would get Mahoney's Hollow Forms and Urns. My second choice would be John Jordan's, Hollow Turning but second only because Mahoney's if more up to date on the tools.

Dale