PDA

View Full Version : EEE and Shellawax

Chris Fontana
12-02-2010, 9:26 AM
I was reading a book on turning and the author recommended using EEE wax and Shellawax. I ordered some and tried it on a small lidded box and am really happy with the finish I got. The question I have is how durable is this finish? I finish most of my bowls with Mahoney's oil and wax but was going to use this when I wanted a shiner finish.

David Reed
12-02-2010, 9:47 AM
Don't know of the durability of the product but can we see some pics? In general, I would assume that any wax is not as durable as lacquer or poly but then I guess it depends upon the requirements of the object being treated with it. Sitting on a shelf and dusted once in a while vs daily handling.

James Combs
12-02-2010, 10:05 AM
I used EEE on the finial for my Plum HF finial http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=153670 and have used it on pens but don't really have a feel for durability although so far I have noticed no problems including no fingerprints.

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2010, 10:08 AM
I don't think it would be very durable for utility items but that is just my personal opinion. I wouldn't use it myself for items that will be used for food and would be washed after use. I use Mahoney's oil on my utility items and have never had a problem. It would probably be ok for decorative items or art items.