PDA

View Full Version : No. 18 - Plum HF (Revisited)

James Combs
12-01-2010, 9:52 PM
Many of you will remember my posting for my No. 18 - Plum HF. I posted it without a finial and I indicated that I was more or less thinking about what its finial should look like.:confused: Go here to review it if you like.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=149622

Well I finally came up with something and BTW I actually drew it on paper first. Most of the time I just go by the seat of my pants.:rolleyes:

Let me know what you think of the results. The HF has now been triple buffed.

Stats: (again)
Material = Local Plum
Height = 2-7/8" (with finial it is now 5-3/8")
Diameter = 4-7/8"
Wall thickness ~1/8
Finish = 3 Coats of Waco Danish Natural Oil with Beal Triple buff.

John Keeton
12-01-2010, 10:00 PM
JD, the finial seems to be a good height, and it continues the curve of the piece pretty well. The only change I might suggest is to change the convex curve of the finial base to a slight concave to transition better with the shoulder/rim of the form.

Otherwise, I think it looks fine! Walnut??

James Combs
12-01-2010, 10:04 PM
JD, the finial seems to be a good height, and it continues the curve of the piece pretty well. The only change I might suggest is to change the convex curve of the finial base to a slight concave to transition better with the shoulder/rim of the form.

Otherwise, I think it looks fine! Walnut??

Yes, I see what you mean. It would transition the entire curve of the HF and finial better into the next section of the finial if it were slightly concave.

Michael James
12-01-2010, 10:22 PM
James, that's a nice piece and a pretty chunk of wood with a nice finish!
Im not a finial authority, but think this one goes very well with the shape of the piece. I think I know what John means and that would look a little nice, but I think you HAD thought of that and left just a little too much wood for it to be exact..... Nice as it, anyway!
mj

charlie knighton
12-01-2010, 10:33 PM
i like it better with the final, love the plum, very hard to fine, espically if you are looking for some

the final seems to go with the season, looks sort of like xmas tree

thanks for sharing

Baxter Smith
12-01-2010, 10:35 PM
The combo looks good together. I'll agree with Charlie on the seasonal look!:)

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2010, 10:42 PM
I like a finial on it. I do agree with John.

David E Keller
12-01-2010, 10:59 PM
I think I like it better without the finial, but I like where you're headed.

The way the top of the form curves upward, I think I would struggle with trying to incorporate a concave curve while keeping the finial proportions. I find it tough to add finials sometimes unless I planned for them in the creation of the upper portion of the main form.

Mark Hubl
12-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Jim,

I like it with the finial. As John said the size and curve of the finial work well. I think I would like to see a couple of little "v"s at the top and bottom of the ball. I think this would give that element some crispness, separation and highlight how nicely you shaped the ball. Like the color combination as well.

Dennis Ford
12-02-2010, 7:35 AM
I like how the finial works with this piece. I think the concave that JK suggested is a good idea, but it looks pretty good as is. I am not sure that I would take a chance and change it at this stage unless you still have a tenon or recess on the HF. If you can remount the HF where it runs true and gently press the finial in with the tailstock, then you could dress up the joint.

James Combs
12-02-2010, 7:54 AM
I like how the finial works with this piece. I think the concave that JK suggested is a good idea, but it looks pretty good as is. I am not sure that I would take a chance and change it at this stage unless you still have a tenon or recess on the HF. If you can remount the HF where it runs true and gently press the finial in with the tailstock, then you could dress up the joint.

I truly appreciate everyone's comments and I understand John K.'s and others comments on the finial but I have no plans to change anything. It is what it is.:D However, I will consider the comments on my next HF/Finial project.

James Combs
12-02-2010, 10:03 AM
I was just reading http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=153693 and realized I didn't elaborate on the finish for the finial.

It is two coats of thin CA then polished with Triple-E and then buffed. For what it's worth.

Mark Hubl
12-02-2010, 10:27 AM
I truly appreciate everyone's comments and I understand John K.'s and others comments on the finial but I have no plans to change anything. It is what it is.:D However, I will consider the comments on my next HF/Finial project.

Jim, I would not change it at this point either. That would certainly constitute "the final cut" and we all know that is not allowed!:D

Ron Bontz
12-02-2010, 10:31 AM
I like it as well. Nice work.:)

Jim Burr
12-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Hey Jim, I like the HF...it's an unusual shape. I'm not big on finials and lids yet so I'll stay out of that one. Like you, I don't change the piece, but I'll try to incorporate suggestions into the next one...how else are we gonna learn;)