PDA

View Full Version : new SCMS Choices?

Dave Lewis
12-01-2010, 9:22 PM
I tried cutting 2" PVC pipe with my 10" Makita LS 1013 slider and it chopped vs. cut.

The saw now has noticable runout and cuts rough with fuzzy edges. Looking at the saw, the shaft looks to be integral to the machine.

Has anyone had shaft replaced at reasonable cost?
If not thoughts on

new 12" Bosch slider
new Makita slider
new Milwaukee 6955 slider??

Saw spends most it's time in the shop snackiing on boards.

Charles Wiggins
12-01-2010, 9:39 PM
Dave,

I have a Bosch 12" axial glide on order. Due Dec. 10th. Got to play with one for a few minutes at a WW show and it was smooth as glass to operate. While I was there the Freud rep. brought by a sample of a compound miter he had cut on his with 96 tooth replacement blade and it looked and felt ready for finish. The cut with the stock blade wasn't too shabby either.

The articulated arms have sealed bearings so the motion should stay fluid regardless of age until one of those bearings fails. Also, because of the design the back of the saw can be butted up against a wall without affecting the usability because there are no slider shafts. I like the up front controls as well. No reaching around the side or the back to change a setting.

My 2 cents,
Charles

Will Overton
12-02-2010, 6:55 AM
Sure you don't just have a dull or dirty or bent blade?

Tom Cornish
12-02-2010, 7:46 AM
I've cut a ton of PVC with my LS1013, not to mention a lot of other general abuse over the 7 years I've had it, including a few crashes. I agree with the others - I'd look for a simpler solution before replacing the whole machine, unless you have the itch to upgrade for some other reason. :)

Dave Lewis
12-02-2010, 6:07 PM
Will:

I switched out another (sharpened) blade and the run-out was still there.

Tom Cornish
12-02-2010, 8:59 PM
Wow - that must have been one heck of a crash.

I have replaced the fence on mine and the parts cost was reasonable. If the rest of the saw is in OK shape, I would at least contact a repair shop to see the cost of a new shaft. What part of the world are you in? Maybe someone can recommend a repair shop near you.

Ted Wong
12-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Could be a simple matter of replacing the bearings. The worst case scenario you'd have to replace all bearings, the bevel gear, and armature gear ($200.00+)