PDA

View Full Version : Tilt-top tables

Ernie Hobbs
12-31-2004, 9:53 PM
Hi. I thought I'd post a few pictures of what I have been working on this week. I took a few vacation days and spent most of the week in the shop. It was nice to get out there for more than a few minutes at a time!

I am making two tilt-top tables for my in-laws (we're doing Christmas with them next week). I just recently got a lathe and thought I'd try another project on it. There was a great article in the October issue of Fine Woodworking by Mario Rodriguez and I thought it would be the perfect thing to try.

Attached are the pictures as of this afternoon. Hopefully tomorrow, I'll finish it. It still needs a little more sanding and the finish.

This was fun to learn a few new skills. The legs are dovetailed (a first for me) and offered some challenges to get it right. On the first one, my joints needed some cleaning up but, the second one was much cleaner. Also, the table top on one is 1" bigger (they aren't going in the same house), since that was the width allowed on the boards I glued up.

I have some things that I'd change about the design next time I do this project- the legs need more details, wider and with a distinct foot. I think I'd prefer a Queen Anne leg instead. Also, the top is too thick for the proportions of the rest of the table. It would also be nice to add a rim or pie crust around the top.

Anyway, your advice and comments are much appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Ernie Hobbs
Madison, AL

Dale Thompson
12-31-2004, 10:17 PM
Ernie,
WOW!! Are you absolutely sure that you were not a "turner" in a previous life? For my $.02, you did a beautiful job on both tables.

"Art" is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I like the style of the legs and the proportion of the top thickness to that of the rest of your tables. I'm not sure that a "pie crust" edge would add to the table -- unless, of course, the floor that it is mounted on is really sloped and the area is subject to frequent earthquakes. :eek: :eek: :D

Turning is a lot of fun. You are WAY ahead of your time (assuming that you are telling the truth ;) :) :confused: ). The dovetails are a slick and robust way of fastening the legs to the spindle. You did a GREAT job on a rather trickey procedure. :) :)

Your vacation days were VERY well spent!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!! :) ;)

Dale T.

Karl Laustrup
12-31-2004, 10:23 PM
By my untrained eye, I'd say you've got a couple of nice pieces there Ernie. What kind of wood? And what finish are you going to use? We need pics of the finished product too. I agree that the top seems too thick. And yes maybe Queen Anne legs. Not sure about a rim.

Any way they look mighty fine.

Karl

John Miliunas
12-31-2004, 10:35 PM
Very nice, Ernie! I'm with Dale on the turning thing! Quite hard to convince someone you're a "newbie" on the lathe.:) Well done on the spindles and the tables as a whole! I DO have one question, though: OK, being "new" to turning is tough enough, but having to climb a ladder to do it is a bit over the top, isn't it?!:eek: :) :cool:

Jim Becker
12-31-2004, 11:25 PM
Yea, that's really nice, crisp turning on those spindles. The tables really turned out nice!

Question...I can't tell from the pictures, but did you taper the legs slightly in thickness from top to bottom? It's a subtle detail that really works wonderfully on these Shaker style tables.

Ernie Hobbs
01-01-2005, 12:30 AM
Very nice, Ernie! I'm with Dale on the turning thing! Quite hard to convince someone you're a "newbie" on the lathe.:) Well done on the spindles and the tables as a whole! I DO have one question, though: OK, being "new" to turning is tough enough, but having to climb a ladder to do it is a bit over the top, isn't it?!:eek: :) :cool:
Thanks. It stinks to have to get that lathe down when I want to use it. The reason I put it there is because I don't really have any place to put it right now. I intend to get a "real" lathe one day and force me to create a place for it. Right now, I just clamp that one to my work bench.

Ernie Hobbs
01-01-2005, 12:34 AM
Yea, that's really nice, crisp turning on those spindles. The tables really turned out nice!

Question...I can't tell from the pictures, but did you taper the legs slightly in thickness from top to bottom? It's a subtle detail that really works wonderfully on these Shaker style tables.
Yes there is a taper. It is about 1" at the top and about 1/2" at the bottom. I used the technique in FWW with a sled in my planer. However, I screwed up one leg because the grain was a little funky at the base of the foot and it chippped badly. I was lucky enough to find the pieces (about 6 chunks) and put the puzzle back together with glue and clamps. Then I finished that one with a hand plane. You can't even tell unless I point it out. It looks like there is a knot, instead of what really happened.

Ernie Hobbs
01-01-2005, 12:36 AM
By my untrained eye, I'd say you've got a couple of nice pieces there Ernie. What kind of wood? And what finish are you going to use? We need pics of the finished product too. I agree that the top seems too thick. And yes maybe Queen Anne legs. Not sure about a rim.

Any way they look mighty fine.

Karl
Thanks Karl. The tables are Cherry. I plan to use just a Minwax mahogany finish with tung oil and paste wax. I might use shellac but I haven't decided yet. I promise to leave pictures of the completed project hopefully within a few days.

Ernie Hobbs
01-01-2005, 12:43 AM
Ernie,
WOW!! Are you absolutely sure that you were not a "turner" in a previous life?
Turning is a lot of fun. You are WAY ahead of your time (assuming that you are telling the truth ;) :) :confused: ). The dovetails are a slick and robust way of fastening the legs to the spindle. You did a GREAT job on a rather trickey procedure. :) :)

Your vacation days were VERY well spent!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!! :) ;)

Dale T.
Thanks for the kind comments Dale. I really am telling the truth about my lathe experience. Although I consider myself a beginner at turning, I have been around woodworking all of my life. Feel free to check out my Dad's stuff at www.hobbsfurniture.com (http://www.hobbsfurniture.com). I did a little bit of turning when I was a kid but after about age 12, I didn't have any interest. I only recently have become interested again. Unfortunately, my parents are halfway across the country and I don't have daily access to their shop. It's kind of fun learning this stuff from scratch anyway. Lately, I seem to be calling my Dad and my two brothers on the phone regularly asking for advice or ideas (all three are way better than me- but not for long!)

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-01-2005, 2:22 AM
I agree that the Queen Anne legs would go better with the 'detail' of the post. The Shaker type legs beg a plainer post, IMO. Also, at first glance the legs look either too high, or not splayed out enough. I think the 'guts' of the tilting mechanism and the cleats add to the visual 'thickness' of the top, but that's the nature of the tilting top.

Alas, these are minor details...they look great, and the new owners will be very happy. :)

KC

John Edwards
01-01-2005, 9:25 AM
Ernie,
if this is the type of furniture you enjoy building. You might want to consider

www.sapfm.org.

where you will find not only tilt top tables of several different flavors but also many other types of furniture from that era.

Jim Dunn
01-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Ernie,
I have to add a WOW as well. I saw the same article in that magazine and wondered if I'll ever get good enough at ww to tackle it. You've done an outstanding job of building not one but two tables.

Jim

Byron Trantham
01-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Ernie,
I love them. The turnings are just wonderful. :D

Ernie Hobbs
01-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Ernie,
if this is the type of furniture you enjoy building. You might want to consider

www.sapfm.org (http://www.sapfm.org/).

where you will find not only tilt top tables of several different flavors but also many other types of furniture from that era.Thanks John. You aren't by chance the former VP candisate? :D Sorry about the election.:rolleyes:

I am somewhat familiar with the SAPFM. I am not a member but am considering joining. My dad was a speaker at the last SAPFM conference (there's a bio on him on the link you listed- Ben Hobbs). Hopefully they'll have some events closer to Alabama sometime.

I checked out the gallery- there's a nice tilt top table by Kinloch Woodworking that I really like. Maybe one day I can attempt something like that- but not yet. I don't think my carving chisels are quite ready for something that complex.

Ernie Hobbs
01-03-2005, 12:24 AM
Attached are pictures of the finished tables. For the finish, I stained them with Minwax Mahogany Red stain and brush-on shellac (three coats).

Any comments are appreciated.

Dan Mages
01-03-2005, 1:25 AM
Very nice work on the tables. Pardon my ignorance, but why do the tops tilt?

Dan

Ernie Hobbs
01-03-2005, 2:11 AM
Very nice work on the tables. Pardon my ignorance, but why do the tops tilt?

DanAs I understand it, tilt-top tables were (at least the smaller ones like I built) frequently used as candlestands. The hinged mechanism facilitates storage when not in use and the third leg faces to the rear to tuck into a corner. When you need it, just flip it down and put a candle on it.

Since I started this project, I have been doing a little reading on them. Tilt-top candlestands and other tripod tables were commonly made throughout the 18th and 19th centuries in America. They are usually seen with ball and claw or slipper feet with very complex carvings. Obviously, mine are a very simple version of this. The next time I make one, I'd love to try some of the more complicated designs.

Attached is a table that my brother made a couple of years ago, which reminds me of what I can aspire to--

Ryan Singer
01-03-2005, 2:20 AM
As I understand it, tilt-top tables were (at least the smaller ones like I built) frequently used as candlestands. The hinged mechanism facilitates storage when not in use and the third leg faces to the rear to tuck into a corner. When you need it, just flip it down and put a candle on it.

Since I started this project, I have been doing a little reading on them. Tilt-top candlestands and other tripod tables were commonly made throughout the 18th and 19th centuries in America. They are usually seen with ball and claw or slipper feet with very complex carvings. Obviously, mine are a very simple version of this. The next time I make one, I'd love to try some of the more complicated designs.

thanx Ernie for that bit of history. very interesting and inspiring. funny thing is burning candles is back in swing. there are so many expensive candles out these days and people are making their own too. I hope your inlaws were thrilled! take care, Ryan