PDA

View Full Version : Need opinion on Rockler 7 inch vice

Pat Barry
12-01-2010, 8:35 PM
Rockler has their 7 inch quick release vise on sale for $69.99, regular price is $114.99. I am wondering if this is a decent quality vice or whether I will regret buying it, even for the bargain price. On the surface it seems like a very good deal but before I spent the money I thought I might get some advice from the experts around here. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Victor Robinson
12-01-2010, 8:36 PM
Great vise. It's what I have installed in my bench and it's a really really good price for it. I paid $80 and I thought that was a steal.

You're not going to find better in that price range, IMHO. I had a Groz quick release before it and man, that thing was junk.

Pat Barry
12-01-2010, 9:08 PM
Thanks Victor. It looked pretty well built and the customer reviews on the Rockler website were positive (but I never really trust those when they are on the companies own website). How well does the quick release feature work for you?

Victor Robinson
12-01-2010, 9:26 PM
Quick-release works well. I haven't had any problems at all...

Just remember to note how it's put together (particularly how the quick-release nut is installed) when you take it apart during installation or you'll drive yourself batty trying to put it back together.

glenn bradley
12-02-2010, 9:43 AM
Dad has the large version and it is pretty well made. QR works as designed. Jaw faces are not aligned as well as they could be but, your wooden jaws can be shaped to take care of that. I favor a vise that I can back off by "unscrewing" but that is just me. The QR simply releases the jaw so you pull it back instead of moving it back via screw action. Its just a trade off of one good feature versus another. The 12" is a well made heavy dudty beast ;-)

Prashun Patel
12-02-2010, 10:02 AM
I've had one for over a year now. It's fine.

I've had 'wracking' (sic?) problems with mine but i believe that's due to the faces I installed - not the hardware.

The screw is smooth and stays put. The quick release works fine, but every now and then I do have to give it a spin or two before it engages/disengages.

The fact that it came with a handle was a nice plus too.

I've found everything to be solid on this. I might get a 2nd one at this price...

Tom Esh
12-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Great value. I've had one for 3yrs now. Only problem was the handle. It was a beautiful piece of burl figured something which warped and cracked right along the figure after the first season. Replaced it with a straight piece of hard maple.