PDA

View Full Version : Byrd Shelix on a DW735

Victor Robinson
12-01-2010, 8:23 PM
I know there's a wealth of information here regarding installing a Byrd Shelix head on a DW735 planer.

Aside from the obvious finish benefits of a shelix, I'm wondering about the noise savings. The times when I use my planer are when I feel like a truly lousy neighbor worthy of the lowest levels of hell. Sometimes I forego using the planer when I really ought/need to simply because of the noise.

How much quieter is it?

Russell Smallwood
12-01-2010, 8:49 PM
I know there's a wealth of information here regarding installing a Byrd Shelix head on a DW735 planer.

Aside from the obvious finish benefits of a shelix, I'm wondering about the noise savings. The times when I use my planer are when I feel like a truly lousy neighbor worthy of the lowest levels of hell. Sometimes I forego using the planer when I really ought/need to simply because of the noise.

How much quieter is it?

Can't comment on a 735 specifically but I just got a Grizzly 15" with a spiral and the noise difference is night and day compared to my lunchbox. Granted, the scream of the universal motor is gone too but it would still be a major improvement regardless.

One of the main reasons I upgraded was for exactly the same reason as you state above. Running the planer just kind of took the fun out of a day in the shop. I felt really self conscious about the neighbors.

When I ran the new planer for the first time I was overjoyed at how quiet it was in comparison.

Victor Robinson
12-01-2010, 8:56 PM
Thanks Russell. I know from yours and other reviews that the noise difference between a spiral/helix stationary planer and a lunchbox is night and day.

But wondering if just the head upgrade on the lunchbox does similar wonders.

I don't have much of a reason (yet) to complain about the finish quality of the knives on my 735. I'd really be spending the $400 for the noise savings, and am wondering if it's worth it.

One day I'm sure I'll get a stationary planer, but right now finances and space dictate I need to stay with the lunchbox...

Neil Brooks
12-01-2010, 9:02 PM
Bless you ... conscientious neighbors ... who DO give a darn about other people.

Seriously.

Somebody once told me that they modified a corrugated box so that it fit over their lunchbox planer, and shielded a BIG % of the noise.

Openings for the infeed/outfeed tables.

Anything one can do to provide a bit of insulation in the shop can help, too -- including the obvious stuff ... like closing doors and insulating a garage door.

Myk Rian
12-01-2010, 10:04 PM
My DW735 went from a screaming banshee that would wake the neighbors 3 blocks down, to a machine I can use without wearing hearing protection.

Gary Pennington
12-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Just installed a Byrd on mine last week. I was amazed at the difference even running no load. Evidently the triangular shaped stock head really churns the air as it spins emitting a high pitched whine. Well maybe a high pitched scream. The Byrd is so much quieter--maybe because it's round? I can't say that I'd use it without ear muffs, but it is significantly quieter.

John Kali
12-01-2010, 10:27 PM
I've heard that removing the blower also cuts down on noise considerably.

Craig Shilling
12-01-2010, 11:53 PM
I put a Byrd-Shelix head(purchased from Brian at Holbren) on my 735 about 6 months ago and it was everything he said it would be and more. It not only puts a mirrow finish on the board, but I agree, it is much quieter. The blower motor is pretty loud, but what the heck. I'm now left with the old head and a extra set of new knives. The old knives worked very well, but no comparison to the Shelix. (my opinion)

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-02-2010, 9:05 AM
What's your shop situation - are you in a house? a condo? etc? I say spark up the planer and then go outside just to see how loud it is.

Everything I've read indicates that the shelix is quieter, and it is a 'different' noise. Also, excellent comment above on the chip ejection motor - if you're using it with a dust collector, consider removing the chip fan - it contributes to a lot of the noise.

Leo Vogel
12-02-2010, 11:25 AM
How difficult is it to remove the chip fan? Anyone do it?

Russell Smallwood
12-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Another thing to consider.

If you sold your 735 you could probably get at least $500 if it's in good shape (based on the CL ads I've seen).

Add to that the cost of the head ($400) and you are well over halfway to a 453z/px.

Add your time and possible frustration with the installation etc.

Now I don't know about a 735. Dewalt makes fine tools, but most lunch box planers that I've seen have rubber infeed and outfeed rollers which have never been very good when planing heavy / long lumber. Dust collection is usually not very good and knife changes are a bear.

Going the 753 route (with your net out of pocket at around $600 if you follow my tool addict logic) you get a 220V induction motor, larger capacity (I'm guessing here), steel serrated infeed rollers (can I get an Amen), a really heavy solid platform for milling lumber (that is on wheels!) not to mention a really cool looking machine and a general feeling of well-being and peace of mind.

But wait theres more!.... Sorry, couldn't resist.

Not sayin', just sayin'

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Russell - that's an oft-quoted (and well thought out) argument on upgrading above the 735. I do feel a need to clarify some things...
- Don't base value on what you see on CL ads, as I'm sure those units are then selling for much less than the posted price.
- the infeed of the DW735 has been very good IMO - never a problem.
- Dust collection is *excellent*, even without a dust collector (asssuming you don't mind chips being thrown everywhere), due to the internal chip ejection fan
- blade changes are a snap - the blades are indexed and easily replaced.

Having said all that, if I didn't yet have a 735 I might consider just making the jump to a larger stationary spiral unit. But since I already have it, I am considering a spiral head as a good upgrade.

Jeff Monson
12-02-2010, 12:10 PM
How difficult is it to remove the chip fan? Anyone do it?

Leo, I used to own a dw735, I installed the shelix head and removed the chip fan. Very simple to remove the fan, just one 10mm nut (if I remember correctly). The noise level was reduced dramatically with the shelix head and blower removed.

Russell Smallwood
12-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Russell - that's an oft-quoted (and well thought out) argument on upgrading above the 735. I do feel a need to clarify some things...
- Don't base value on what you see on CL ads, as I'm sure those units are then selling for much less than the posted price.
- the infeed of the DW735 has been very good IMO - never a problem.
- Dust collection is *excellent*, even without a dust collector (asssuming you don't mind chips being thrown everywhere), due to the internal chip ejection fan
- blade changes are a snap - the blades are indexed and easily replaced.

Having said all that, if I didn't yet have a 735 I might consider just making the jump to a larger stationary spiral unit. But since I already have it, I am considering a spiral head as a good upgrade.

Good points. My comments were made regarding lunch box planers in general and even though I've never owned one, my impression is that the 735 is kind of a hybrid so YMMV. A stationary does look cool in the shop though :)

Mike Goetzke
12-02-2010, 1:34 PM
I had a Delta 580 lunchbox and it was a high frequency screamer. I picked up a new DW735 for cheap and added a Byrd head. I never used the stock head. The noise is greatly reduced from the Delta but I hear an annoying low frequency resonance from this DeWalt - others have it too. I have heard about removing the blower too - may have to try that this weekend.

My jointer with a spiral head is almost quiet enough to not need hearing protection but these universal motor driven planers are far from doing w/o it.

Mike

Victor Robinson
12-02-2010, 2:45 PM
Thank you, gentlemen. A lot of excellent information to digest. My wallet is no doubt grateful for the weight loss you've helped with.

Russell - It's a good argument regarding a jump to the 0453 and one I'd easily be able to talk myself into. However, the biggest thing against it in my case is shop space. I'm pretty much maxed out in terms of space. If I do end up making little alcoves of space here and there, the first two items to occupy them would be a drum sander and a midi lathe. So I'm ok with a lunchbox planer for now.

John - My shop is the garage of a house with attached neighbors. This means my neighbors' living rooms on both sides are exactly 15 feet up and to the side in either direction from any spot in my garage, with only a brick/stud wall in between. It basically means they can HEAR just about any tool I run. But I imagine the planer is the worst offender, by far... :o

Leo Vogel
12-02-2010, 3:09 PM
Victor - I too have the 735. Really works nice, but many times I wish it were a little bit wider. I think before I would buy a new Byrd head, I would buy a new 15 or 20 inch planer. I really wish I had done that years earlier. Over the years, it seems like I have to buy several machines before I get the one I really like and need.

Neil Brooks
12-02-2010, 3:41 PM
I've got the Ridgid R4330, and TRULY enjoy it:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_WVVYjLCNo2w/TOLu7SpVVlI/AAAAAAAABW8/df3tBYNP9XE/s576/P1050027.JPG

In weaker moments, I even consider a Byrd shelix head for it.

But ... like others have said ... the practical side of me says to sell it for a hundred dollar loss, and -- for a CHUNK less money than the Ridgid PLUS a helical head WOULD have cost .... buy any of the dozens of this sort of planer that frequently come up for sale.

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/tls/2080611157.html

And if I DID buy such a a planer, THEN it would be a much easier thing for ME to justify another $350-400 to switch to the mighty Byrd :)

Paul Snowden
12-02-2010, 3:43 PM
Anyone have info on how to remove the chip fan?

Myk Rian
12-02-2010, 6:08 PM
Anyone have info on how to remove the chip fan?

Unplug it, remove the cover.
Remove the cutter cover and look at the fan.
It isn't hard to figure out.

Mike Goetzke
12-02-2010, 8:44 PM
Unplug it, remove the cover.
Remove the cutter cover and look at the fan.
It isn't hard to figure out.

.....well I just removed the fan impeller on mine. Once you remove the cutter cover there are two torx screws and three spring clips that hold the fan half housing on then use a 13mm socket to remove the impeller retaining nut while you grip one of the impeller vanes with a pair of pliers.

Wow - with the spiral head this does make it bearable to use it w/o hearing protection (but I will use my earmuffs anyway).

Mike

Russell Smallwood
12-02-2010, 9:23 PM
Russell - It's a good argument regarding a jump to the 0453 and one I'd easily be able to talk myself into. However, the biggest thing against it in my case is shop space. I'm pretty much maxed out in terms of space. If I do end up making little alcoves of space here and there, the first two items to occupy them would be a drum sander and a midi lathe. So I'm ok with a lunchbox planer for now.

Not to beat the dying horse but ...

The 453 is a lot smaller (at least to me) than I though it would be. It probably takes up about as much space as your 735 would if you had it on a little rolling cabinet.

I, like you, am short on space so in my mind, I was imagining this industrial-sized behemoth taking up the space of a small Volkswagon (not that there's anything wrong with that) but was pleasantly surprised that it kind of rolls right over into the corner and out of the way without much effort at all. I get a chuckle every time I walk through the garage when I see it sitting in the middle of the space I cleared out for it.

Ok, that's it for me on this subject.

Cary Falk
12-02-2010, 9:31 PM
The 453 is a lot smaller (at least to me) than I though it would be. It probably takes up about as much space as your 735 would if you had it on a little rolling cabinet.

I would agree. I went from a Delta 22-580 on a tool cart to to a G0453Z and it takes up less room than I thought.