PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Turnings

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2010, 7:15 PM
Here are a couple of potpourri pots that I made for Christmas to take to the Art Gallery. They are claro walnut with Fleur-de-Lis lids from CSUSA. These lids are smaller than the pewter lids but sure are pretty. I also added a maple foot to one just to raise it a bit. The pots are 5" across and about 4" high. I had to grab a couple of quick pictures as she wanted them today as a lady had expressed interest in them. She was coming in this afternoon to look at them. Finished with 6 coats of WOP.

Doug W Swanson
12-01-2010, 8:23 PM
Hey Bernie,

Those turned out very nicely. I just ordered a few of the pewter lids so I can make a few pots for gifts. I hope mine turn out as nice as yours did.

dan carter
12-01-2010, 9:09 PM
Pewter and walnut are a hard to beat combination. I am sure both will be popular at the gallery. To me, maple on top would have been more appealing, but it did get it up off the table abit.

John Keeton
12-01-2010, 9:45 PM
Bernie, I would recognize that Claro walnut anywhere!!! That's some of my stuff you bought out from under me from Mike Smith!;):D

Nice work! I have 5 of these pots I turned earlier in the fall set back for Christmas gifts for our girls/and girls-in-law. They make neat gifts.

Steve Schlumpf
12-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Nice work Bernie! Pretty wood and quite the finish! I hope they both sold quickly and you get to turn some more!

Baxter Smith
12-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Nice job Bernie. The wanut a nd pewter look great. I roughed out some of these last spring for Christmas gifts. I better get busy!

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. They both did sell. I was going to price them at $45 but the Art Director said she thought that was low. I said ok whatever you can get then. She sold them both for $75 each. We have a 70/30 split agreement so made $52.50 each so I am happy. I must say I do like turning Claro. Really nice wood.

Now I just have to get in contact with Mike Smith before Keeton does so I can at least get another two to four pieces.:eek::rolleyes:;):D And yes I did John. I did sneak in the back door for a couple.

David E Keller
12-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Nicely done, Bernie. I like the forms, and it's hard to go wrong with that Keeton...er, um, Claro walnut.:D

Mark Hubl
12-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Those are neat Bernie. The pewter tops are nice. I thought they were smaller until I read your post. Congrats on the sale!

Ken Glass
12-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Bernie,
Those are real eye catchers. Glad to see they sold for a good price too. Walnut always gets attention in turnings. Well done.

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Thanks again David and Mark. David if you want Claro walnut you have to stay one step ahead of Keeton.;)

Mark they are smaller by quite a bit. The opening in the wood is 1 15/16". But when the wife says order a couple and like I said I must admit the ruby colored stones and the other with diamond like stones really sets them off.

Christopher K. Hartley
12-02-2010, 7:59 AM
Bernie, claro walnut with Fleur-de-Lis lids ? Gettin a bit fancy pancy for an ole country boy arn't ya? Kidding aside, these are really sharp pots; love that you went with high gloss. Keep up the good work.:)

bob svoboda
12-02-2010, 9:20 AM
Really nice, Bernie. Love the gloss finish on them.

David Reed
12-02-2010, 9:58 AM
I just hope you are not getting too uppity for us non-royalty out here. I especially like the one with the foot and the slight lift at the top. It really adds to the shape. I can almost smell them from here (is that the potpourri or the smell of USD).

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Thanks again. Chris I have my wife to thank for them. She saw those in a catalog and of course it was oh those are cute why don't you get a couple.
The gloss finish is what I use around here because for some reason it sells best. I made 6 lidded boxes with 3 finished with gloss and 3 satin. The 3 satin one's are still sitting at the Gallery. The art director suggested I take them home and put a couple of coats of gloss on them. So guess I will pick them up and give them a couple of coats of gloss to see how it goes. Don't know why but semi-gloss and satin items just don't sell here.

Ron Bontz
12-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Nice pots Bernie. I'm a gonna have to try and get some that fancy wood.:)

steven carter
12-02-2010, 10:35 AM
. Don't know why but semi-gloss and satin items just don't sell here.

Maybe all the people in your neck of the woods just look so good they like to see their reflections:D. Regardless, very nice work!

Steve