PDA

View Full Version : D-double V-vision

David DeCristoforo
12-01-2010, 7:02 PM
I started this before the TG weekend but, what with taking a week off to go "chill" in Nevada and then trying to get everything restarted after getting back home, it has been patiently waiting for a pedestal. I have to say that this is "not exactly" what I had envisioned when I started turning it. I was thinking of a much lighter outer rim with a downward curl but this particular piece of wood just didn't have a mind to cooperate with me. It's maple burl and a nice little chunk of it with a lot of "lift" in the grain. I'm going to have to keep at this and see if I can get some more subtile shapes. It "turned" out to be not so easy to make the double rim! But I do have some more burl so we will see…

The pedestal is rosewood and the base is a piece of burl that I "cored" out of the center of the main form. Not sure about that either but my wife likes it so it can't be too bad.

John Keeton
12-01-2010, 7:13 PM
David, IMO this is one of the best stems/pedestals you have done. I would have preferred the burl base to match the cup, but if Ms. DeCristoforo likes it, it has to be right!!;) It does work, and my preference is just that - my thoughts. Doesn't take away from the excellent work you have done on this.

I am not sure on the double cup - it may grow on me. Did you turn it in two turnings? If not, what tool did you use to core down, and how did you get it sanded, etc.?

It certainly is a beautiful piece of burl!

Nate Davey
12-01-2010, 7:16 PM
I also like the burl base and agree the natural color would have been nice. But, happy wife happy life. Beautiful job.

Ken Hill
12-01-2010, 7:17 PM
Thats really a nice piece!

Dennis Ford
12-01-2010, 7:19 PM
That is a great piece of art. I can see how the double rim would be very difficult.

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2010, 7:26 PM
Beautiful piece David. The pedestal is outstanding.

David DeCristoforo
12-01-2010, 7:42 PM
"Did you turn it in two turnings? If not, what tool did you use to core down, and how did you get it sanded, etc.?"

It's one piece and I used a "vortex" type tool that I ground specifically to do this with. This was a real learning experience not only in terms of how to do this kind of turning but also how to grind the appropriate tool. I have since made two much more "refined" versions and I will post some pics of all three tools in the next couple of days. I want to try the new ones out first!

Scott Hackler
12-01-2010, 7:50 PM
Wow there is a lot going on with this one. I think the double rim is something very unique and it will likely grow on me. The top half of the pedestal is fantastic (I mean FANTASTIC!) the bottom looks a little heavy to me but that might just be my personal taste.

Great job.

Michael James
12-01-2010, 7:59 PM
Really nice piece/concept. I too would match the cap, color wise. Izzat a captured ring on the base? LOTS going on with this piece. Very novel, very well done, as usual.

David DeCristoforo
12-01-2010, 7:59 PM
"...the bottom looks a little heavy to me..."

This is actually a pretty large cup... six inches across and three and a half deep. with the double rim, it carries a lot of visual weight and I wanted to balance that with the base. Thus, the rather heavy looking base. I was not sure about it either but, as I mentioned my wife likes it so what can I say?

David DeCristoforo
12-01-2010, 8:01 PM
"Izzat a captured ring on the base?"

No... just looks like it but it's just how the burl is shaped.

Dave Schwarzkopf
12-01-2010, 8:13 PM
I agree with what's been said on the top; great work and I'm looking forward to seeing the tools you made, (and hopefully how you made them!)

For my tastes I quite like the contrasting colors of the top and base as I think matching would have been too much of the same. The contrast allows me to really appreciate and focus on that double bowl.

Dave Schwarzkopf

Ken Glass
12-01-2010, 8:16 PM
David,
That a beautiful piece. The pedestal has great detail shows its delicate form well. I very much like the burl, but I am partial to burl as you know. Well done, your wife has great taste...

Doug W Swanson
12-01-2010, 8:28 PM
David,

Great job. I think it would look better if it matched the top but that's just my opinion. As it is, the piece is still beautiful and I can only hope to turn something like it in the future. The double edge really makes it stand out, too.

dan carter
12-01-2010, 9:02 PM
The double edge made me do a double take. I like it. You know, we are our own worst critic, what you see is not not what we see. You did a quality job on a very nice piece. It came out very nice.

David E Keller
12-01-2010, 9:09 PM
Very cool. I love the double cup, and I agree with Scott about the upper portion of the pedestal... perfection. I'm not sold on the bottom of the pedestal... It looks like it has melted or something.

This form gives me an idea for color... You could do the two cups in different colors. I suppose you could even do all four surfaces of the two cups in four different colors... Might be interesting.

Thanks for posting this.

Baxter Smith
12-01-2010, 9:49 PM
Very nice David! When I first read your post I was going too fast and when I saw the word "core" I assumed you cored out the inner cup. Gave me an idea of something to try. (If I can just remember it) Looking forward to seeing your "tools".

Curt Fuller
12-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Shazam David! You knocked this one out of the park!

I will say that the bottom of the pedestal bothers me for some reason. The rest of the pedestal and even the cup are so refined and flow so well. Then the base looks a little like you stuck the pedestal in a wad of putty.:rolleyes: I know it's supposed to have a natural look but it seems like it's too close to round to look natural, if that makes sense. A piece of the same burl as the top or else a base of the same wood as the rest of the pedestal would set it off really nice, IMHO. But wow, that double rim is really pretty.

David DeCristoforo
12-01-2010, 10:32 PM
"...looks a little like you stuck the pedestal in a wad of putty..."

Umm... well.... my wife likes it...

"...an idea for color..."

Yes... thinking along the same lines myself. But I need to refine this a bit first.

Mark Hubl
12-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Bullseye for me. Love the dub dub duble cup idea. And of course the burl is beautiful. A turned down rim, (blooming flower look) might have been really cool. Hope you try that. Agree with all on the pedestal, nailed it, really nice. Had to look a few times but I like the "organic" looking bottom. Reminds me of the organic nature of the burl rim. Can't decide if the pedestal looks like it is melting into the bottom or rising out of it? Any how, I like it. Another very nice piece David.

P.S. Did I miss the goblet class?

brian watts
12-02-2010, 1:21 AM
very nice . like the double cup..

Frank Van Atta
12-02-2010, 2:08 AM
Great piece of work, especially in the double rim.

However - IMO - the stem is waaaay too thin at the top. It makes the top look like it is going to break off and/or fall over at any moment.

Christopher K. Hartley
12-02-2010, 7:45 AM
Very nice David. I like the form and especially the pedestal. Good Job!!:)

Jason Roehl
12-02-2010, 8:50 AM
Overall, I like it--colors, shapes, finish. The only detail that gives me pause is that the stem just looks too fragile to me. Then again, I still have kids and cats in the house, so I tend to look at such things.

Roland Martin
12-02-2010, 9:16 AM
WOW, very unique piece. That rim scares the hell out of my knuckles:eek::eek:!! IMHO, there is nothing I would be inclined to chage on this, the small profile of the stem, to me, tends to keep my eyes drawn to that great burl form. Besides, your wife likes it!:D Fantastic work, David.

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-02-2010, 9:29 AM
David,
Sweet Project! You're getting kind of artsy. Don't be cutting off one ear and moving to the south of France because we would miss your work and wit.
faust

David DeCristoforo
12-02-2010, 10:30 AM
"...The only detail that gives me pause is that the stem just looks too fragile..."

"...look like it is going to break off..."

It is a bit "fragile". At the top and bottom of the upper ball, it's only a "fat" 1/16". But the rosewood is very straight grained and actually pretty strong. Even so, I would imagine that it would not take too much to break it!

"...when I saw the word "core" I assumed you cored out the inner cup..."

Well, I kinda did. The base is the piece that came out of the middle of the cup. I just undercut it with a parting tool. BTW, Baxter, I followed your instructions on using the manual settings on my camera along with the timer and I think I got much better pics this time. Thanx for the tips.

Ron Bontz
12-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Really sharp. Love the finial as well.

Jim Burr
12-02-2010, 11:17 AM
This one is great! The base keeps drawing my attention. I'm not fond of the double cup, but I'm am in awe of the effort it took to pull it off. As always, the stem & finish is the stuff of legend. I may be knocking on your door for a lesson :p:D;)

David DeCristoforo
12-02-2010, 11:59 AM
"The base keeps drawing my attention..."

I guess the base is a "love it or hate it thing"! So far we have "lump of melted plastic" and "wad of putty" contrasting with "organic" looking bottom". But, as of this morning, my wife still likes it and one of her votes is worth at least twenty opposing. So we still have a ways to go...

And don't worry Faust. I'm not planning on moving to France anytime soon although cutting off an ear does sound tempting...:eek: