PDA

View Full Version : 1952 Unisaw rehabe update.

Bart Leetch
12-31-2004, 9:20 PM
Well the saw cut its first wood in about 12 years today. :D :D :D

I trimmed the motor hole in the cabinet side a little bigger so the bigger motor would tilt & installed the motor cover yesterday The cabinet isn't flat so I put a little camper foam seal under the door edge.

Today I installed belts & the fence system.

I still need to hook up the switch & mount it but I couldn't stand it any longer so I put a plug on the cord end & cranked it up hmmmm sure sounds good.

With the fence installed & lined up & my buddy watching with the his hand on the cord & saying you can push the wood through this saw a little faster we trimmed the edge of a small piece of plywood a nice clean cut. :eek: :D

The blade & miter slot is a smidgen wide at the right back side of the blade so that will need to be adjusted.

I hope to build the wing & table frame work tomorrow but we'll see what tomorrow brings.

So with out further adieu here are some pictures :D :D :D .

Marshall Harrison
12-31-2004, 9:29 PM
Great work Bart! I know how hard it is to be forced to wait.

You could probably feed the wood faster if you had painted it FSU colors.

John Miliunas
12-31-2004, 11:12 PM
Lookin' good, Bart! Wonderful restoration, me thinks! Yeah, definitely get that switch on there, pronto! I don't blame you for trying it, though.:D Kinda' did that myself when I redid the W&H. Trust me...A switch is nicer.:) So, are you now going to be a 2 TS shop or are you give the Uni sole propiertership in the shop?:) :cool:

Bart Leetch
01-01-2005, 1:53 AM
Lookin' good, Bart! Wonderful restoration, me thinks! Yeah, definitely get that switch on there, pronto! I don't blame you for trying it, though.:D Kinda' did that myself when I redid the W&H. Trust me...A switch is nicer.:) So, are you now going to be a 2 TS shop or are you give the Uni sole proprietorship in the shop?:) :cool:

Ha Ha that question gave me a good chuckle lets see where do you think I can put it :eek: rolling on the floor laughing out loud............... :D :D :D

Nice thought, I really wish I could though.

The Unisaw will be the queen @ the center of my shop.

Actually in the floor-plan in this post you'll notice I have a 12" extension on the back of the current saw ( which allows for the motor on the back of the saw) between the saw & the bench. I am thinking of leaving this off the Unisaw when I move it into the shop & just take the fence off the saw when not in use. This saves 12". So what do you think.

Frank Pellow
01-01-2005, 7:34 AM
Actually in the floor-plan in this post you'll notice I have a 12" extension on the back of the current saw ( which allows for the motor on the back of the saw) between the saw & the bench. I am thinking of leaving this off the Unisaw when I move it into the shop & just take the fence off the saw when not in use. This saves 12". So what do you think.
Bart, I have said it before and I will say it again. That is one crowded shop! Saving 12" dosen't sound like much but in your shop (and I expect in mine once I populate it) saving 12" is a big deal. Do it.

Russ Massery
01-01-2005, 10:34 AM
Good job it's great to see an old machine put back into use again. I found an 63'rockwell-delta bandsaw that I rehabed. It looks like the motor is from Grizzly, is it for a current unisaw? Did it bolt up with no modification?

Russ Massery

Bart Leetch
01-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Russell

The motor is from Grizzly & it is for a Grizzly G1023Z & it did bolt up with no modification? Hmm what does this maybe tell us :) Instead of $400 + dollars it was $200.

Ted Shrader
01-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Bart -

Ain't it great when you fire those old one up for the first time and they just sit there and go HHHMMMMmmmmm...... Then a piece of wood goies through and it never changes pitch. You will have a smile on you face every time you start it up.

Congratulations on a job well done,
Ted