PDA

View Full Version : More Jet 12" Jointer/Planer Questions

Kent Chasson
12-01-2010, 4:36 PM
New member here. I checked out several threads on the JJP-12 and got some good info but I have a couple of different questions.

The most critical joining I do is on thin stock, about 1/8". How big are the ribs on the table? Anyone had problems joining thin stock due to the ribs? I suppose I could just take advantage of that odd fence and make sure it's not parallel to the ribs so I stay out of a rut but having never used a ribbed table before, I'm a bit leery.

Also, there is a great sale on the 3-knife machine at the moment but the one with the helical cutter is full price. A helical cutter is a must for me and it looks like I can buy the sale machine AND a Shelix cutter for much less than the cost of the factory version. I assume I'll lose the warranty but it's probably a good bet for the savings. Has anyone retrofit a Shelix on theirs? Does the 12" Shelix from Grizzly fit?

And lastly, any new reasons come up lately to stay away from this machine?

Looking forward to participating here. I've found some good info already and I like the fact that real names are required!

-Kent

Bas Pluim
12-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Unless the stock you're jointing is extremely narrow (<3/4" wide), I don't see how the ribbed surface could affect anything. The "ribs" (ripples would be a more appropriate term, except it's all straight of course) are quite narrow and shallow. Also, why would thin stock be affected more by the ribs than thick stock? Granted, the thinnest board I've jointed on my JJP-12 was 1/4" or so, so I might be missing something here.

I bought mine with the helical head, so I can't comment on the ease of installation of an aftermarket solution. Before going the upgrade route, I'd call around and see if someone offers a deal on the JJP12-HH. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find it for $2500, and that can't be more than a couple of hundred or so from the JJP12 + upgrade.

As for a reason to stay away from it...I've had it for a year now and I'm still very happy with the machine's performance. No regrets whatsoever on getting a combination machine, and the cut is fantastic - zero tearout.

Kent Chasson
12-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Thanks Bas. Good to know.

I build guitars so I join a lot of stock that's about 1/8" thick. If the grooves are that wide, I imagined the potential of an edge falling a groove. I suppose I can just angle the fence but since I may have to buy this without getting my hands on one first, I'm just trying to rule out all potential problems.

As for the helical cutter, I just realized I'm a day late for the sale I was talking about. Looks like it ended yesterday so that decision is clearer.

John Coloccia
12-02-2010, 7:19 AM
I don't bother with thin stock on the jointer anymore. I quickly knock down the high spots and get it sorta straight with a plane, and then I do this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1540343

This is by far easier.

Anyhow, I have a JJP-12, and I don't remember thin stock ever falling into the grooves. It's a nice machine.

Curt Harms
12-02-2010, 7:52 AM
The grooves are really shallow--they appear to be about 3/16" wide and about 0.005"-.006" deep, I don't have a good way to measure depth. The planing depth is advertised as 1/8" but it'll go shallower. In fact my planer bed has a little scrape from contacting running knives:o. The problem I'd expect planing really thin material would be shattering. The only stock hold-downs are the infeed and outfeed rollers which are about 6" apart. There is very little to no snipe.