PDA

View Full Version : Dewalts new baby, the 611 head to head with a Bosch Colt

Bill Huber
12-01-2010, 4:02 PM
I got my 611 today and at this point it looks like there will be a Bosch Colt for sale in the very near future.

I got the Pak which has the motor, fixed base, plunge base and a wrench and that is it. There are no other items that come with it, no screws or guides, no plastic covers. There is also NO big plastic box, it does come with a bag which will take up a lot less room then the plastic boxes do.

First look and it really looks nice, everything looks to be of very good quality and is put together very well.

The fixed base is just a little larger then the Bosch Colt, this is without the bottom plate. The Bosch is 3 5\8" x 3 1\4" and the Dewalt is 4" round. The Dewalt is just a little taller but not by much.

The motors and very close in size, the Bosch is a very little bit larger in diameter and the Dewalt is just a little taller. The cord on the Bosch is about 18" longer then the Dewalt. The Dewalt has a plastic cover over the switch so no dust will get into it.

168942 168946

The plunge base is not that big but is does have large handles, I would like to see them turned to the back a little but they are still nice and feel good to use.

168943 168944

In the fixed base the height adjustment on the Dewalt is great, it just flat kills the Bosch in that area. It takes some getting used to, to adjust the Bosch but with the Dewalt it just turning the ring, very easy.

Taking the motor out of the base is again noting, flip the lever and lift it out. You do not have to turn it, just lift it straight out. The motor lock on the bases are different. The Bosch pulls the hole base together to hold the motor and the Dewalt just has a small square that goes in against the motor.

The plunge base is just like any other plunge base only smaller. It has all the features of the larger bases. The hardware on the base if very good and smooth working. The plunge lever is placed in a good area and is easy to get to with your thumb.

The stop adjusters are as good as any I have seen on any other bases. The stop wheel has 4 fixed stops and 1 adjustable one. The fine adjuster on the rod has a very nice feel to it and is easy to turn.

Plunging the base is smooth and has a good spring in it. It is not to strong but is is strong enough to lift the router back up when you want.

168947 168945

The Dewalt is a little bit top heavy when using the fixed base, not much but it is more then the Bosch. Changing bit is the same on both, push a button and loosen the nut. The noise lever on the Dewalt is less then the Bosch but not much.

The fixed base plate DOES NOT take PC bushing were the plunge base will. I had to buy a plate for the Bosch to use the bushing on it.

The 2 LEDs are a really nice plus to the Dewalt, but after a little cutting the base was full of chips any way and you could not see what was going on with the cutter that much. Some DC would take care of that I am sure.

All in all I like the Dewalt, it is a very well build and smooth running router. I have found nothing I don't like about it, it will be used a lot for my off the table routing. It cuts just as good as the Bosch and is much easier to adjust the height on and that is a big thing to me.

It looks like Bosch had better get their act together and get a small plunge base router out there or they will be left in the weeds. The Dewalt is a Colt killer the way I see it. Now time will only tell if the Dewalt last for years and years like the Colt has with no problems.

Here is the motor next to my 1617, it does not look that much smaller but it is and it is a lot lighter then the big Bosch.

lowell holmes
12-01-2010, 4:30 PM
I'm hoping Bosch will salvage the Colt with an after market plunge base. I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Louis Brandt
12-01-2010, 4:35 PM
Bill,

Thanks for the detailed analysis of the new DeWalt. I've been thinking about getting one, but I wanted to know whether anyone had tried one out yet. I did call Bosch customer service, and the rep that I spoke to told me that Bosch has no plans to come out with a plunge model for the Colt. I happen to have bought a Bosch Colt some time back, but I haven't even taken it out of the box yet, so I may return it and get the DeWalt.

I have a couple of questions. First, Does the DeWalt use just a 1/4 inch collet? I would assume so.

And second, what applications do you see that will be best served using a plunge router of that size?

Thanks,
Louis

Bill Huber
12-01-2010, 4:55 PM
Bill,

Thanks for the detailed analysis of the new DeWalt. I've been thinking about getting one, but I wanted to know whether anyone had tried one out yet. I did call Bosch customer service, and the rep that I spoke to told me that Bosch has no plans to come out with a plunge model for the Colt. I happen to have bought a Bosch Colt some time back, but I haven't even taken it out of the box yet, so I may return it and get the DeWalt.

I have a couple of questions. First, Does the DeWalt use just a 1/4 inch collet? I would assume so.

And second, what applications do you see that will be best served using a plunge router of that size?

Thanks,
Louis

Yes the Dewalt uses a 1/4" self-release chuck.

I have just started to do some inlay work and the Colts adjustment is really had to work with, you have to tilt the router into the work. With the plunge base you don't have to do that. Plus the lights on the Dewalt will be really nice to see what you are doing.

I did do a little cutting with the shop vac close to the router and that did pull the dust out and you could really see what was going on and were you were.

I do plan to use it for other things also, edges and things like that. When I was making cutting boards I use the Bosch to cut the juice groove around them and it sure would have been nice to have the plunge base for that.

Bill Huber
12-01-2010, 4:58 PM
I'm hoping Bosch will salvage the Colt with an after market plunge base. I'd buy it in a heart beat.

No question, I would love to have one, the only thing I could find was $400 and that is a little high for my needs.

I sent Bosch and email asking the question about a plunge base small router but never got a reply.

I think they better come out with one or the Dewalt will take over the small router world.

Louis Brandt
12-01-2010, 5:27 PM
Bill,

One more question, if I may. Based on what you've learned after analyzing the Colt and the DeWalt, in your opinion could Bosch come out with a plunge base that would work with the existing Colt (as opposed to them creating a new version)? What I guess that I'm getting at is, does it seem likely that you would be able to remove the existing Colt from its base and insert it into a plunge base, or is the design of the Colt such that it would not be able to be done that way?

The reason that I'm asking is that even though I've already spoken to Bosch and have been told that they have no such plans, I might be willing to hold on to my Colt, if the chances are good that it would be adaptable to a plunge base.

Thanks,
Louis

Jay Allen
12-01-2010, 5:34 PM
My question is "Where did you get it?" I have not seen them at any local retailers yet. The last time I looked on the 'net, there were places showing them, but not stocking yet.

glenn bradley
12-01-2010, 5:44 PM

I'm with you. The DeWalt is nice but, not enough smaller once in the plunge base to make me bite (yet).

Great review as usual Bill. Thanks for being so thorough. This is a tool format that I think Bosch is really missing the boat on. I would probably pay as much for a Colt plunge base as I did for the Colt with no hesitation.

lowell holmes
12-01-2010, 8:14 PM
I've considered making a plunge base for the Colt. I suppose speings could be purchased from an online parts purveyor. I might start looking the websites for them.

Some 3/8" and 1/2" thick white oak might make the stucture of it.

Has anyone else considered this?

Doug Shepard
12-01-2010, 8:25 PM
Just FYI for the Colt owners - there is a plunge base available.
http://microfence.com/plunge-base-p-29.html
Pricey but it's an extremely well made tool.

Bill Huber
12-01-2010, 8:28 PM
Bill,

One more question, if I may. Based on what you've learned after analyzing the Colt and the DeWalt, in your opinion could Bosch come out with a plunge base that would work with the existing Colt (as opposed to them creating a new version)? What I guess that I'm getting at is, does it seem likely that you would be able to remove the existing Colt from its base and insert it into a plunge base, or is the design of the Colt such that it would not be able to be done that way?

Thanks,
Louis

I am sure they could but I am not sure they would. I think it would be better to design a new router housing with a different adjuster on it. I am sure they know that the one they have is not the best in the world.

Louis Brandt
12-01-2010, 8:34 PM
Thanks again Bill,

You're probably right. Where did you find the new DeWalt? I didn't see it at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Louis

Bill Huber
12-01-2010, 8:34 PM
My question is "Where did you get it?" I have not seen them at any local retailers yet. The last time I looked on the 'net, there were places showing them, but not stocking yet.

I just ordered it from CPO, they have them in stock and was their shipping fast. I ordered it on the 27th and it was here today and it was free.

Now they did you Fedex:D

Peter Quinn
12-01-2010, 8:40 PM
Nice review Bill. What is the street price for the kit? Not sure this is actually a colt killer for me. I've been considering a small plunge router for a few things, I've though about the trend or even a dremel. This option looks interesting too. I'd have to hold it in my hands though to see if its for me. Is there a plunge only version available? I don't need another trim router on steroids personally though I can see the appeal for sure for some users. I guess it depends on your tool mix and work habits. I personally prefer something like the PC310 for a small potent trim router. That squat package is great for small scale edge forming, probably the standard by which I personally judge all others. I'd rather have a couple of 310's, a few colts, some sort of small plunge router, and go up from there in size.

johnny means
12-01-2010, 8:43 PM
I would really like to have a Colt sized plunge router, but in my experience Dewalt's new generation of routers aren't robust enough for usage in my shop. I jumped in feet first when they introduced the current DW618 and bougt three, this was five years ago and everyone of them has been rebuilt... at least once. What really get's my goat is that IMO they make the best ergonomically designed routers, yet when these die I can't see myself ever buying another Dewalt.

Anyway it's good to see a positive review of a new class of tool. But I'll be waiting on the Bosch or Milwaukee.

Jamie Buxton
12-01-2010, 8:46 PM
Neither of these have dust collection, do they? Seems like a big omission. Cut for more than an inch and you can't see what you're doing.

Dave Lehnert
12-01-2010, 9:11 PM
I would really like to have a Colt sized plunge router, but in my experience Dewalt's new generation of routers aren't robust enough for usage in my shop. I jumped in feet first when they introduced the current DW618 and bougt three, this was five years ago and everyone of them has been rebuilt... at least once. What really get's my goat is that IMO they make the best ergonomically designed routers, yet when these die I can't see myself ever buying another Dewalt.

Anyway it's good to see a positive review of a new class of tool. But I'll be waiting on the Bosch or Milwaukee.

I find this interesting. What exactly was rebuilt? And what kind of projects do you do with them.
I have the same kit and never a problem but I only use it in a hobby setting.
Be interesting to know what kind of problems to look out for.

Bill Huber
12-01-2010, 10:28 PM

Well as I said, time will tell, if it last as good as my 8 year old Dewalt ROS I would be real happy.
I will only be giving it light use, not a pro shop type use and I am sure that will not really tell how good the thing is.

Jim Rimmer
12-01-2010, 11:13 PM
i just looked at CPO's website and they don't show the plunge base kit. Klingspor has it for $199. Withouth the plunge it is $139, same as CPO

Bill Huber
12-02-2010, 12:07 AM
i just looked at CPO's website and they don't show the plunge base kit. Klingspor has it for $199. Withouth the plunge it is $139, same as CPO

They do have them its just hard to find. There are a few placed I found that have them and they are all the same price, CPO has free shipping over $149.

http://www.cpopowertools.com/dewalt-dwp611pk-premium-compact-router-fixed-plunge-combo-kit/dewndwp611pk,default,pd.html?start=1&cgid=dewalt-routers

Al Weber
12-02-2010, 8:45 AM

The local Lowes had the fixed base models here in TN a couple of weeks ago. But I think only CPO and a couple of other internet dealers have the fixed and plunge kits. I bought mine through Amazon from CPO and shipping was also free.

johnny means
12-02-2010, 9:30 AM
I find this interesting. What exactly was rebuilt? And what kind of projects do you do with them.
I have the same kit and never a problem but I only use it in a hobby setting.
Be interesting to know what kind of problems to look out for.

specifically, the problem was always bearing failure. This would lead to overheating and motor damage.

Don't get me wrong they are fine routers, they just haven't stood up to conditions in my shop. Sort of like buying an f150 when you need the F350.

Jamie Buxton
12-02-2010, 10:37 AM
specifically, the problem was always bearing failure. This would lead to overheating and motor damage.

For the past thirty years, every router I've owned has smoked its front bearing -- Makita, Bosch, Dewalt, Festool. Have you found a brand or a model that doesn't fail?

Philip Rodriquez
12-02-2010, 10:37 AM
I got to see the fixed an plunge bases when I was at Tool Zone, last week. It really got me wishing that I had one for my Colt.

Thanks for the review!

Roger Jensen
12-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks Bill. I'm glad you compared the fixed base height adjustments. I just did 70+ hinge mortises and making fine height adjustments on the Colt is an excercise in frustration. It sounds like the Dewalt has it figured out.

Roger

Larry Rasmussen
12-02-2010, 11:51 AM
I got my set from Rockler on line yesterday, same bare bones deal of the motor, fixed and plunge bases, canvas type bag that is actually useful looking. The Rockler price was $209, shipping is free right now.

I had ordered from Wordworker, they used to call themselves Woodworker Southwest I think. Anyway they sent an email special for the kit I got plus the separate edge guide sold as an accessory thown in for $199 overall. I ordered that two weeks ago but called when I didn't get after a week or so. I chatted with the rep for a few minutes over another issue with my account and learned that they would not have them until late December and yes the reps were about as ready to strangle the decision maker on that one as I was since they advertised an Email "special" with little or no stock.

I have been looking at the nice $400 microjig plunge bases since they came out and still don't use often enough to justify the cost. I had a Colt for a while but did not find it really comfortable to use so re sold it. Nothing particular, just not a good fit for me. The DeWalt looks sturdy and handy enough as so well described by Bill. If I like it as much as I think I will I'll probably ad a Microjig edge guide and maybe a circle cutter.

Of all the brands in this fairly new category to come out in the next few years the real winner will be the one with good dust collection which is the weakest link in the DeWalt product.

Regards,
Larry R
Seattle

Jim Rimmer
12-02-2010, 1:16 PM
Just ordered one from CPO. Thanks, Bill, for the link to the one with the plunge base.

Norman Hitt
12-02-2010, 1:26 PM
Neither of these have dust collection, do they? Seems like a big omission. Cut for more than an inch and you can't see what you're doing.

If you click on the link Bill posted, then click on the dewalt, (or maybe it was the cpo link) and then click in accessories, it shows a Dust collection and other items. Apparently none of the online sites have anything but the basic router in stock at present though, not even the plunge attachment.

hmmmm...... now I can't seem to get back to the place I found last night, where they showed the router, plunge base, edge guide, a round, clear base plate, AND the Dust Collection attachment. You could click on the thumbnails to enlarge all of them. :confused: Oh well, now I can't even find the site that showed 5 or 6 different places to buy it, and one of those sites was probably where I saw those additional accessories.:o:(

Noah Katz
12-02-2010, 2:04 PM
Any difference in power between the DW and Colt?

I'd think most wouldn't spend $400 for a plunge base for the Colt when you can get the DW for less and have one more router.

Jay Jolliffe
12-02-2010, 4:24 PM
I ordered one from Amazon. It came from Black & Decker AKA Dewalt in five days. It does have dust collection but it's extra. I bought it for the same reason that Bill did. To do inlay work. The Colt for me is hard to dial in the exact depth with out a lot of fiddling with. Seems to be really well made. I haven't used it yet.

Chris Harry
12-02-2010, 9:54 PM
I was thinking about pulling the trigger, I have just the use for it.....mortising a door jamb thats already in place.

But alas, the only base that can accept the bushings is the plunge base, kind of negating the small size that will fit in the area of an already installed door jamb.

I guess it saved me some $$$.

Dave Lehnert
12-02-2010, 10:09 PM
If you click on the link Bill posted, then click on the dewalt, (or maybe it was the cpo link) and then click in accessories, it shows a Dust collection and other items. Apparently none of the online sites have anything but the basic router in stock at present though, not even the plunge attachment.

hmmmm...... now I can't seem to get back to the place I found last night, where they showed the router, plunge base, edge guide, a round, clear base plate, AND the Dust Collection attachment. You could click on the thumbnails to enlarge all of them. :confused: Oh well, now I can't even find the site that showed 5 or 6 different places to buy it, and one of those sites was probably where I saw those additional accessories.:o:(

Is this the link?

http://www.dewalt.com/pages/promotions/CompactRouters-Promo/CompactRouters-Promo.aspx

http://www.dewalt.com/assets/images/promotions/compactrouters/promotions-compactrouters-featuresphoto-05.jpg

Dave Lehnert
12-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Any difference in power between the DW and Colt?

I'd think most wouldn't spend $400 for a plunge base for the Colt when you can get the DW for less and have one more router.

Bosch is 5.6 amp, the Dewalt is 7 amps.

Ted Wong
12-02-2010, 10:14 PM
For the past thirty years, every router I've owned has smoked its front bearing -- Makita, Bosch, Dewalt, Festool. Have you found a brand or a model that doesn't fail?

Yes I agree every router I've had has had to have new bearings at least once in its lifetime. But is this really the fault of the router or the bearing manufacturer? Or neither. Routers run at a minimum speed of around 8,000 rpm and in my case I usually run on full speed (25,000 rpm) unless I have a huge bit on it pretty fast in the scheme of things. couple that with a load and something is going to give sooner or later. In a shop where the router sees daily use I have been able to keep a router running around 2 years between bearing swaps by taking light cuts, using sharp bits and steady even feed rates.

Norman Hitt
12-02-2010, 11:17 PM
[QUOTE=Dave Lehnert;1573781]Is this the link?

http://www.dewalt.com/pages/promotions/CompactRouters-Promo/CompactRouters-Promo.aspx

No, but this one gives a menu to click on in the bottom right picture that lists
All the accessories for it. It appears that there is a round baseplate that is template guide compatable for both the fixed base AND the plunge base, but it says not available on line,......you must see a dealer to purchase.:confused:

Mike Heidrick
12-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Do you have any way to tell how loud it is in dB?

Bill Huber
12-02-2010, 11:28 PM

I can put my db meter on it tomorrow, but I will have to say it is not a loud and the Colt.

Scot Ferraro
12-02-2010, 11:49 PM

How many hours of use do you typically get out of a set of bearings? I am just curious as I have not had bearing failure yet, but then again I am just a hobbiest. What are the signs of failure? I know on my Bosch sander it states in the manual the intervals to get the bearings replaced which equates to every other brush change...

Scot

Phil Thien
12-03-2010, 12:24 AM
Wow, I thought they'd include the DC fittings at that price. Pre-release materials I read sorta implied they'd be included. And the DC fittings would have to work with either base, too.

Have to rethink getting one of these.

Jamie Buxton
12-03-2010, 12:57 AM
How many hours of use do you typically get out of a set of bearings? I am just curious as I have not had bearing failure yet, but then again I am just a hobbiest. What are the signs of failure? I know on my Bosch sander it states in the manual the intervals to get the bearings replaced which equates to every other brush change...

Scot

Dunno how many hours it takes. I'm in the shop every day, and use a router a lot. As for bearings versus brushes, I can't remember ever changing brushes. Bearings, on the other hand, are a constant problem.

The signs of failure are... The rotor stops faster than usual when you take your finger off the trigger. Or sometimes the router heats up more than usual. Or sometimes the bearing starts screaming. A conclusive test is to spin the rotor by hand. If the bearings are dead, it'll feel like there's grit in the bearing.

Van Huskey
12-03-2010, 3:21 AM
Thanks for the review, confirms what I saw and thought seeing it at IWF, I'll pick one up when the deals start on them...

Kyle Iwamoto
12-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the review and starting this thread.

Great, just what I need. Another router.....:)

Jay Allen
12-03-2010, 11:36 AM
IBut alas, the only base that can accept the bushings is the plunge base, kind of negating the small size that will fit in the area of an already installed door jamb.

Certainly it's the same as any of the full-sized 2-base router kits in the market....the sub-bases will interchange. This gives you the option of using a templete-guide or having a larger hole to run bits of greater diameter with either type of base.

The only kit 2-base kit I own is the RIDGID, but that's how it works.

Aaron Frank
12-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone know if Dewalt makes a dust collection attachment for the fixed base DW 618 similar to the one pictured here? I've looked and couldn't find one.
Thanks
Aaron

http://www.dewalt.com/assets/images/promotions/compactrouters/promotions-compactrouters-featuresphoto-05.jpg

Bill Huber
12-03-2010, 12:11 PM

Well Mike I failed you on this one, I pulled my old db meter out this morning and it is not working. I have not had it out in years so I am not sure what the problem is. I guess I will have to pull it apart and see what I can find.

I can tell you that it is just a little quieter then the Colt.

Jim Rimmer
12-03-2010, 2:46 PM

I took the receipt home from the online purchase last night and told my wife it was my Christmas present. She said, "I thought yuo already had a router." I expalined that this was a special use router and she was ok with that. Didn't mention that I have 6 routers already.

glenn bradley
12-03-2010, 3:12 PM

I expalined that this was a special use router and she was ok with that. Didn't mention that I have 6 routers already.

I thought everyone needed another router???

Brian Penning
12-03-2010, 4:11 PM
I took the receipt home from the online purchase last night and told my wife it was my Christmas present. She said, "I thought yuo already had a router." I expalined that this was a special use router and she was ok with that. Didn't mention that I have 6 routers already.

Y'know, she probably does know you have 6 routers. For her, it's better than if you had substituted the word beers for routers. :)

Bill Huber
12-03-2010, 4:24 PM

What I told my wife was it was just like mixing bowels, you need different size bowels to make different things, like a small bowel to scramble eggs and a big bowel to make a cake.

Her comment was "Oh, that make sense"

She wants me to make a large blanket chest, so I am thinking with something that big I would need a bigger saw..... right:D

Van Huskey
12-03-2010, 4:36 PM
What I told my wife was it was just like mixing bowels, you need different size bowels to make different things, like a small bowel to scramble eggs and a big bowel to make a cake.

Her comment was "Oh, that make sense"

She wants me to make a large blanket chest, so I am thinking with something that big I would need a bigger saw..... right:D

My version is similar, "Honey they are like shoes", "Ah OK". Not to mention many of here shoes are more expensive than routers...:mad:

Jim Rimmer
12-03-2010, 5:31 PM
We had a similar conversation when I bought my 14" BS. I had bought a new Grizz TS about 8 or 9 months before. When I ordered the BS she said,"You told me that new tablesaw would be the last saw you ever needed." My reply: "No, I said it would be the last table saw I would ever need." :D be careful how you choose your words.

Van Huskey
12-03-2010, 7:12 PM
We had a similar conversation when I bought my 14" BS. I had bought a new Grizz TS about 8 or 9 months before. When I ordered the BS she said,"You told me that new tablesaw would be the last saw you ever needed." My reply: "No, I said it would be the last table saw I would ever need." :D be careful how you choose your words.

It gets more complicated when you sneak in bandsaw number 2... since every woodworker NEEDS 2 bandsaws! :D

Jay Allen
12-03-2010, 7:32 PM
It gets more complicated when you sneak in bandsaw number 2... since every woodworker NEEDS 2 bandsaws! :D

Are you saying that we don't? That statement seemed a bit tongue-in-cheek ;)

I have 2 at home and a 3rd at work. It really is handy to have a wide blade (and riser block) on a 14" saw and a smaller benchtop model for tighter turns. The 20"er at work is just a bonus.

I still want one of those new Dewalt kits, even though I have several routers already. :eek:

Rich Engelhardt
12-04-2010, 6:57 AM
've been considering a small plunge router for a few things, I've though about the trend or even a dremel
I have an older (bought about 4 years ago) Dremel plunge accessory.
It's a fairly good size. I'll have to dig it out of the cabinet in the garage to make sure, but, IIRC, it's real close in size to a PC 690.

Keith Outten
12-04-2010, 8:55 AM
The three axis mill plunge base from MicroFence is the best quality plunge base you will ever hold in your hands. It is definitely pricey but tools of this quality almost always are. You really can't compare it to any standard plunge base because it is a precision tool and to my knowledge no other company makes a plunge base that is in this class.

I bought mine a couple of years ago here in our Classifieds Forum so I didn't pay full price. After using it I would definitely pay the full price if I needed another one and I would love to be able to purchase a three axis mill plunge base for a larger Bosch motor even though I might have to finance the thing :)

Jim Eller
12-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Good review Bill. Thanks.

I purchased the same unit a week ago at my local Woodcraft.

Regular price 189.99 - 10%. Paid $170.99

Didn't need a seventh router.......but it was just so cute:D The Colt may have to go too.

Bought the new DeWalt 12v compact drill at the same time. It's my go to drill now. Just love it.

Jim

Noah Katz
12-04-2010, 4:35 PM
Bosch is 5.6 amp, the Dewalt is 7 amps.

I know the rating is different, I meant subjectively.

Jim Rimmer
12-04-2010, 9:19 PM
The only BS I had when I bought my Grizz was a 9" Ryobi, but I put it behind a piece of plywood for a while anyway. Non-WWers don't understand the difference - it's just 2 BS's.

I thought I would sell my Bosch Colt when I get the DeWalt but I am sure i will have uses for it, too. :cool:

John Sanford
12-05-2010, 2:44 AM
I went to the open house for my local tool pusher today and while there I spied this new DeWalt, and on the table next to it a new PC 450 trim router. They are brothers under the skin.

Differences are modest, and account for the modest @$20 price difference.

DeWalt - Variable speed control.
DeWalt - LED lighting.
DeWalt - different shape for the base.

PC - texturing of the fixed base unit is different.

Otherwise, they are the same. Same motor. I didn't think to ask, but I expect that the motors are interchangeable between the two brands' bases. From the pictures, it appears that the edge guide and DC attachment are the same as well, and since there was a deal where you could purchase the solo DWP611 and get the edge guide and DC attachment free via mail in rebate, I suspect the DC works with both the fixed and plunge bases.

On a related note, the low profile PC ROS has been cloned and is now available as a low profile DeWalt ROS as well, the D26456. The only difference between these two sanders is the color of the plastic and name on it.

Curt Harms
12-05-2010, 8:52 AM
The only BS I had when I bought my Grizz was a 9" Ryobi, but I put it behind a piece of plywood for a while anyway. Non-WWers don't understand the difference - it's just 2 BS's.

I thought I would sell my Bosch Colt when I get the DeWalt but I am sure i will have uses for it, too. :cool:

What, you only got 1 router bit!!?? You know, don't change bits, change routers etc. :D :D

Jay Allen
12-05-2010, 9:21 AM
don't change bits, change routers etc. :D :D

Zzzactly. I have 5 laminate trimmers, set-up with different bits/bases.

Off-set base
Tilt base
Flush-trim
Euro square bearing
and one that floats between 1/8" round over or something more specialized.

Steve H Graham
12-05-2010, 9:46 PM

I wish I had not seen this. It reminds me how much I hate changing blades.

Incidentally, the minimum number is three. One for resawing, one for close work, and one for metal stock.

Van Huskey
12-06-2010, 12:44 AM
I wish I had not seen this. It reminds me how much I hate changing blades.

Incidentally, the minimum number is three. One for resawing, one for close work, and one for metal stock.

I am "allergic" to metal work so thats a non-issue. :D

However, I use 4 blades on a regular basis so I figure I need 4... :D

For variety I will take:

1. Laguna Resaw Master for resawing
2. 24" Agazzani for large contour work
3. Minimax MM20 for ripping
4. Laguna LT16HD for fine work

If anyone wants to donate 1,2 or 4 lemme know, I have #3 taken care of. :o

Mike Heidrick
12-06-2010, 1:10 AM
I keep three bandsaws around. MM20, Jet 12", and a Dewalt portable metal bandsaw. Perfect setup for now. Don't get me started on routers. I will tell you this though - don't dicount routers because they are cheap. I have more hours on a used M12VC than I do on all my other routers combined. If the 611 is a horse it is destined to become the new bar for DIY CNC benchtop machines. It looks great. Thinking of adding one or two as a second or third spindle to my machine. That would be sweet.