PDA

View Full Version : Good deal on lumber? And what is some of it?

Troy Turner
12-01-2010, 3:14 PM
So I was looking around CL and found this...

2,000 BF Black Walnut Lumber 4-8" wide 8-10' Long 2.00 per BF

500 BF Hackberry Lumber 4-12" wide 8-10' Long 2.00 per BF

500 BF Katalphie Lumber 4-12" wide 8-10' Long 2.00 per BF

BALSA WOOD 4" by 7" by 10' 5.00 per BF. Call for amount we have.

OAK: $5 to $10 a bd ft
1;2''x9''x13'
6;2''x9''x10'
7;2''x9''x6'
8;2''x9''x9'
17;2''x9''x4'

I've only used pines and plys for all my projects, but want to venture out. Seen some pics of hackberry, but couldn't find much on the Katalphie. These pretty good deals to ya'll?

Prashun Patel
12-01-2010, 3:30 PM
Could it be Catalpa?

The walnut price looks fantastic if it's nice. I think that'd be a great price/place to start with hardwoods. Easy to work with and very elegant.

Jim Rimmer
12-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Hackberry is a pretty light weight wood but has nice grain. I would think the otehr is catalpa as well.

Troy Turner
12-02-2010, 9:05 AM
There's a good chance the last one's not spelled right ;) Never heard of it though, either way you spell it.

So what could I use the hackberry for? I've got a computer desk on the drawing board.

Jim Rimmer
12-02-2010, 1:26 PM
There's a good chance the last one's not spelled right ;) Never heard of it though, either way you spell it.

So what could I use the hackberry for? I've got a computer desk on the drawing board.
The hackberry would probably work for the desk. I refinished a bedroom suite a few years ago that was supposed to be hackberry and it is 60+ years old. Not quality workmanship or design so not a valuable antique. But the wood stood up to a lot of use.

Chip Lindley
12-02-2010, 2:45 PM
I guess y'all don't have any native oak in west Texas. Those oak prices are Huge! I have not worked with catalpha but it is said to be a decent hardwood with nice grain. The hackberry is a much lighter-weight wood with wide, busy swirls of interesting grain. It may also be hard to joint and plane without tearout. It smells like new-mowed weeds when sawed or planed. You will never forget!

Walnut would be my first choice for making a piece @ $2.00/bf. Buy a little of the catalpha and hackberry just to explore their uses. It all depends on what you intend to make. Each would be nice for a free-standing piece like a blanket chest or small desk.