PDA

View Full Version : Making a Video....

Wally Dickerman
12-01-2010, 2:58 PM
I've just finished a morning session with a video photographer. We will do some more next week.

A company that produces videos is making a series of videos on various types artists and their work. They selected me to do a video on woodturning. Today it was all talk. She was very interested in my life in woodturning. I just talked about how I started at age 15 in 1936, and have continued turning for all of these many years. I talked about teaching, about wood, about my tools and especially the tools that I've made over the years. About an hours worth of tape.

Next week I'll do some turning. I feel comfortable in front of the camera because I've done a lot of demos with a camera running. I'll do a lot of talking while I'm turning just as I do when I'm doing a demo or teaching.

I'm going to very interested is seeing the end results. Either I'm a flop as a narrator or maybe Hollywood will be calling. We'll see.

Wally

bob svoboda
12-01-2010, 3:01 PM
I say Hollywood! Hope to have a chance to view the video when it's completed.

Rob Wachala Jr
12-01-2010, 3:04 PM
Started in 1936. WoW!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-01-2010, 3:37 PM
Break out the cigars and let us know when the limo arrives with the gorgeous girls Wally!:eek::rolleyes:

Congrats Wally! I'm sure you did fine.

John Keeton
12-01-2010, 3:46 PM
Wally, get an agent!!! Please keep us posted on where and when this is going to be available - I will put in an advance order!

Jim Underwood
12-01-2010, 3:49 PM
I'd love to have been a fly on the wall...

Keep us posted!

Bill Bulloch
12-01-2010, 3:51 PM
1936 -WoW- I was minus 4 years old in 1936. Lets see now, if you were 15 in 1936, you must be: ((2010 - 1936) + 15)) = 89. And still turning. I should be so lucky.

Let us know how we can get a look at that video when it is finished.

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-01-2010, 3:53 PM
Wally,
Let us know when and where we can see the finished product. It's great to see someone get acclimation for their work.
faust

Michael James
12-01-2010, 3:55 PM
Congratulations! Sounds like a fun project, and you never know how that will turn out. Worse case scenario you get a copy for friends and family probably done much better than you could on your own. Best case = unknown.
I got asked to do a jury orientation film and so I did it for yucks.... did not know they would use it state wide. Gets lots of random fun converstaions going at walmart occasionally.:cool:

Ray Bell
12-01-2010, 4:07 PM
I expect to see you on the Oscar stage next year. Looking forward to this video.

Mark Hubl
12-01-2010, 4:11 PM
Congrats Wally and good luck. Can't wait to see the end product.

Steve Schlumpf
12-01-2010, 4:47 PM
Wally - that is really cool! Hard to believe but it looks like you are about to get famous-er! Have fun! Looking forward to seeing the video once released!

You started working on your press kit yet? Just wondering when and where you are jetting off to for the promo tour? Enjoy!

Wally Dickerman
12-01-2010, 5:49 PM
1936 -WoW- I was minus 4 years old in 1936. Lets see now, if you were 15 in 1936, you must be: ((2010 - 1936) + 15)) = 89. And still turning. I should be so lucky.

Let us know how we can get a look at that video when it is finished.

Yep, still turning and still teaching. No more classes but one-on-one in my shop. I haven't been doing any teaching for awhile and I have a list, getting longer of people wanting a session. Gonna start again in Jan.

In 10 1/2 years I'll be 100...might need help to stand at the lathe but I plan to be there.

Wally

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2010, 6:10 PM
Congrats Wally. That is just to cool. Don't forget us mere mortals here.:D;):rolleyes:

Ron Bontz
12-01-2010, 6:15 PM
My hats off to you sir. Congrats. :)

Ryan Baker
12-01-2010, 7:31 PM
That's great! Please keep us posted about the progress. I would also love to see the finished video.

Ray Bell
12-01-2010, 9:09 PM
Wally, in February I will be in Chandler, and intend to attend the Desert Roundup on the 17-19. I don't know where Green Valley is, but I would certainly be up for lessons if you are available, and time allows.

David E Keller
12-01-2010, 9:12 PM
Very cool. Put me down for number two on the advance order list... Right behind Keeton.

Cathy Schaewe
12-01-2010, 11:10 PM
And me number three!:)

Christopher K. Hartley
12-02-2010, 8:06 AM
Whether you achieve stardom or not Wally you're a STAR in our eyes!:cool:

Roland Martin
12-02-2010, 9:31 AM
#4!! Congratulations Wally. If you ever need a hand standing at the lathe, I'd be happy to help, a small price to pay for watching a master at work:)
Best of luck!

Jim Burr
12-02-2010, 11:18 AM
I've got the cigars...can I have an autograph!!! Well done Wally :D

jared herbert
12-02-2010, 11:31 AM
I will pre order a video, just let me know how. Hope I am in that good of shape in 42 years. Jared

Ruth Niles
12-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Wally, as handsome as you are, I always knew you should be in movies! :)

It really sounds like a very interesting video.

Ruth

Russ Denz
12-02-2010, 1:09 PM
Mr Dickerman,
You just helped me with a big decision. As soon as we sell our property here in NC, we're heading back home...to Arizona. While we spent 25 years in Phoenix, my wife and I have been thinking about Tucson OR Prescott; you just tipped the scale heavily to the Tucson side! To be closer to a real master and even the possibility of getting to know you is too much to pass up. Coincidentally, my dad would have reached 100 almost exactly the same time you will; his birthday was May 22; unfortunately we lost him a few years ago, but I digress. Congratulations!! on a lot of things.

Russ

Wally Dickerman
12-02-2010, 2:09 PM
Mr Dickerman,
You just helped me with a big decision. As soon as we sell our property here in NC, we're heading back home...to Arizona. While we spent 25 years in Phoenix, my wife and I have been thinking about Tucson OR Prescott; you just tipped the scale heavily to the Tucson side! To be closer to a real master and even the possibility of getting to know you is too much to pass up. Coincidentally, my dad would have reached 100 almost exactly the same time you will; his birthday was May 22; unfortunately we lost him a few years ago, but I digress. Congratulations!! on a lot of things.

Russ

Russ, before we moved to Az. we looked at Prescott. Really a nice area. However, they have WINTER there. It's 5000 ft. elev. Be happy to see you if you move to the Tucson area. I'm 30 miles south.

Wally

Wally Dickerman
12-02-2010, 2:11 PM
Wally, as handsome as you are, I always knew you should be in movies! :)

It really sounds like a very interesting video.

Ruth

Aw shucks Ruth. It must be my curly mustache.

Wally