PDA

View Full Version : Multiple projects

Marshall Harrison
12-31-2004, 8:54 PM
Does anyone else work the way I do? I have 3 projects going at once. A Craftsman style end table. A shop cabinet/stand for mounting my mortiser. I'm also building some jigs for the table saw such as a tenon jig for use with the Craftsman table.

I switch back and forth between them depending on how the mood strikes me. Do others do this or do you stick with one thing at a time? I suppose that if I had a really big project or some commision work I would stick with just the one. I do this for the love of it and this seems like a natural way to work. Just wondering if others do the same.

Scott Parks
12-31-2004, 10:03 PM
Lets see here.... I bet I could come up with about 10 unfinished projects. I lack the home/shop time to actually do projects. I lose interest or get stuck on planning, so I tend to move on to something else. Thus, a new unfinished project.

Currently, I'm remodeling my primary residence. When I bought the house the basement had been gutted due to a broken pipe. I completely finished the basement, except for the trim. The reason: waiting to decide if we're going to replace the trim style on the rest of the house.

Next, basement bathroom. The wainscot needs to be painted. It is primed, but LOML hasn't settled on a color yet. (Not my fault)

Third, Master bath... 6 months in progress. All I have left is to install the shower door! Ran into lots of design changes and numerous cans of worms on this one. However the advice on SMC got me through it! Getting a Digicam next week, I'll post the finished pics...

Fourth, Installed new front entry door. Bought paint, but haven't painted it yet. Friend wants $50 to spray it, but I want to spend $150 on an HVLP conversion gun and do it myself. (excuse to buy new toy!)

Fifth, rehab my grandfathers planes. I've dissassembled and cleaned two. Working on lapping them and honing the irons...

Last, organize my garage and build jigs for tablesaw! This is an ongoing saga... House more important and sucking my wallet dry, thus no $ to invest in storage and dust control. I frequently skimp in this area.. and tripping over junk that is un-organized:( (this area alone is about 5 unfinished projects)

Whew, now that I got that off my chest...!!! I've got 9 days at home starting tonight! Maybe I can finish that list! No more new projects!

Charles Bruno
12-31-2004, 10:28 PM
I have the same dilemma, one fireplace mantel, one or more jewelry boxes some molding to stain and install at my step sons house and sometime this month I’m building some cabinets in the garage/workshop and setting up my lathe.

Seems like a natural way to work to me.

Terry Hatfield
12-31-2004, 10:49 PM
Marshall,

Not me!!! I just can't work that way. I don't seem to ever get any of them done!!! I was working on 2 end tables and a grandfather clock at the same time. It drove me crazier!! :D I decided that I had to concentrate on the end tables and leave the clock for after they are done. Now I'm making progess and hopefully I'll have the end tables together this weekend so apparently my plan is working. :)

To each his own though. Whatever works for one may not work for the other.

t

Jim Becker
12-31-2004, 10:49 PM
I actually prefer to be working that way and since my shop is a little larger these days due to a bit of rennovation and rearrangement, it's a lot easier to do that. Although I have been remiss to get in the shop over the holidays due to a bit of travel and some other reasons (clearing out what was the essentially unused dining room to make it into our "home theater" area) and some cooking, I have several new projects soon to start, both for our house and what I'll consider my first commission for my dear friend in Florida. I will likely be moving back and forth between several things and fitting a little turning/sculpture in, too. Sadly, I'm already booking some business travel for early 2005, so that will affect how long some of these things take. The weather is also a factor; it's hard to heat things up for just a couple hours of evening work.

John Miliunas
12-31-2004, 11:51 PM
It's not unusual for me to have more than one project going, though I still tend to focus the bulk of my attention to whichever one I have deemed as "priority". In between glue-ups or finishing steps is a good time to work on one of the other projects.:cool:

Bill Arnold
01-01-2005, 7:34 AM
Does anyone else work the way I do? I have 3 projects going at once. ...
Marshall,

First, hello from another Floridian! And, yes, I do the same thing you do. Currently, I'm working on a pair of nightstands, a pair of side tables and beginning to work some parts for a quilt rack. Then, in betwixt all that I'm continuing to refine designs for future projects. There are days that I've done some form of work on as many as eight or ten projects if you count both active and design efforts.

Ned Bulken
01-01-2005, 8:06 AM
Marshall,
more than one project at a time? Always! Right now I have a kitchen cabinet which is in dire need of getting the 'done' stamp. So, in a little while I'm going to get rolling over to my shop and work on the door panels for it, along with whipping up a jig or two. Going to put on a cuppa joe, crank some tunes and get to work for several hours.
Note to self, stop in at the hardware store and buy some glue.

Jerry Olexa
01-01-2005, 11:52 AM
I always have at least 2-3 projects going. Sometimes it an excuse while the glue dries, work on the other. When I was building the cherry headboard, I was installing the new DC and building a planer stand w wings (still in progress). But I do them all weakly ( I mean weekly), Happy N Year!!!

Marshall Harrison
01-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Well it looks like I'm not alone in the way I work. Right now I'm hiding out here while taking a break fropm laying wood floors. My son also hit me up with a DVD rack he designed and wants me to build.

Bill - where is Lakewood Ranch? I couldn't find it.

Steve Clardy
01-01-2005, 5:27 PM
I've been remodeling the house since we bought it in 1995.
Been revamping the shop also. Also added on to it by a 1000 sq. ft.
Nothing is done on either one.
Work jobs. Currently have four staircase jobs going, and building a set of cabinets for a new house.
I seem to jump from one hot job to another. Going in circles for months seems like, getting nothing done.:rolleyes: