PDA

View Full Version : Uneven wear on Jointer Blades??

denis tuomey
12-01-2010, 12:16 PM
:confused: Have an 8" Grizzly jointer and most of the time do edge planing with the fence all the way to the back. Wondering if anyone has experienced any uneven surfaces when planing something wider after mostly using a small area of the width? I've only had it for about a year and its still does a beautiful job but was just curious.

Jim Rimmer
12-01-2010, 12:36 PM
I have wondered the same thing and will watch for the replies. I think it would get dull in that area faster.

Anthony Whitesell
12-01-2010, 12:51 PM
I worried about the same thing. So I decided that each time I start a new project, I'll move the fence forward an inch for the edge jointing, to prevent the back edge of the knives from dulling faster than the front. Other than the boards for the first project after I received my jointer, I don't think the front 2 inches of the knives have seen wood since.

John Piwaron
12-01-2010, 1:35 PM
I've had a jointer for years. I never move the fence forward to use a different part of the blades when I edge joint. As far as I can tell, the resulting surface when I do face jointing isn't affected by having used the same inch or so much more frequently than the rest of it.

Even if the results of face jointing did show a bit of difference, I doubt it would matter much. One of the next steps will be to put the board through the thickness planer. Any slight difference is gone now.

Even if your'e not planing or thicknessing it, you'll probably do some other surface prep - sanding, scraping, whatever. The difference will go away.

scott spencer
12-01-2010, 2:05 PM
I move the fence regularly to share the load across the blades. Similarly, I staggar where I feed boards into the planer too.

George Bokros
12-01-2010, 5:45 PM
I move the fence regularly to share the load across the blades. Similarly, I staggar where I feed boards into the planer too.

I do the same.

glenn bradley
12-01-2010, 6:03 PM

I do the same.

I do also and I have a spiral head.

Chip Lindley
12-01-2010, 7:22 PM
It's not that I am too lazy to move the fence in and out to even out knife wear. I find that each time the fence is moved, some minute tweaking may be needed to achieve a perfect 90 degrees again. Once I set the fence to a perfect right angle, I leave it there!

george wilson
12-01-2010, 8:21 PM
Best to move the fence to even out wear.